NBC/Comcast Dispute Forthcoming?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don't subscribe to the locals package, but right now my OTA NBC and Telemundo station both now say "Digital Service" and "No info Available" for the programming guide. This has happened in the past before a dispute... just curious if anyone has heard anything on a potential dispute for the NBC O&O channels? Maybe the NBC RSN's are in this contract and will be expiring shortly if the NBC network channels are up for renewal?

I should also include - I am in Chicago so it is WMAQ that has no EPG anymore.

Per the most recent uplink report...
...OTA mapping for WMAQ and WSNS (along with a bunch of other NBC-owned stations) was removed this afternoon. Separate OTA guide data streams were added for many of the stations that had OTA mapping (from the satellite-delivered feed's guide data) removed. Unfortunately, Chicago wasn't one of the markets that got those separate OTA guide data streams added. (yet?) Also, there must be some other forthcoming dispute reflected in that uplink, in addition to the NBC one, since some of the affected stations are CBS, Fox, or ABC affiliates.

Also, be careful about using the word "forthcoming" in thread titles if the thread is going to continue after the channels get dropped. I recently got in trouble (after the Nexstar stations were dropped) for having used the word "looming" in one of my thread titles. ;) Maybe something like "Warning: NBC/Comcast dispute with Dish!" that would still apply after the dispute actually starts. :)

Reactions: zippyfrog
According to recent uplinks, the previous message that popped up when you would turn on Golf Channel about being able to watch it on DishAnywhere.com has been replaced by "an important message from Dish"

Still don't know for sure, but it would appear Golf Channel could be involved with a future dispute.

Last time these NBC channels were up for a dispute it appeared that Dish went with the "binding arbitration" route so Comcast couldn't take them down. Does anyone know if that binding arbitration is still a thing or has the amount of time since the Comcast/NBC merger passed that some of conditions of the merger have expired?

According to rumors on the nascar, nhl, and Indy car subreddits, nbc sports network is going away after 2021. Comcast is figuring they lost the bid for the nhl, and will now move what little remaining sports they have left to peacock, USA, and CNBC. So I’m sure they’re going to ask for another large boost from dish, like all the other dinosaur linear tv companies have been demanding, and we’ll be without yet another dozen channels while our bills stay above the hundred dollar mark.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Per the most recent uplink report...
Uplink Activity Updates » Blog Archive » 12/16/20 at 3:14pm ET (v21) – 174 changes seen ...OTA mapping for WMAQ and WSNS (along with a bunch of other NBC-owned stations) was removed this afternoon. Separate OTA guide data streams were added for many of the stations that had OTA mapping (from the satellite-delivered feed's guide data) removed. Unfortunately, Chicago wasn't one of the markets that got those separate OTA guide data streams added. (yet?) Also, there must be some other forthcoming dispute reflected in that uplink, in addition to the NBC one, since some of the affected stations are CBS, Fox, or ABC affiliates.
It's over! Today's uplink report reversed the OTA guide data changes noted above for the NBC and Telemundo affiliates. Dish must have reached a long-term deal, at least for the O&O local channels. :)

According to recent uplinks, the previous message that popped up when you would turn on Golf Channel about being able to watch it on DishAnywhere.com has been replaced by "an important message from Dish"

Still don't know for sure, but it would appear Golf Channel could be involved with a future dispute.

Last time these NBC channels were up for a dispute it appeared that Dish went with the "binding arbitration" route so Comcast couldn't take them down. Does anyone know if that binding arbitration is still a thing or has the amount of time since the Comcast/NBC merger passed that some of conditions of the merger have expired?
Nbc is gonna dump many channels putting content in peacock..

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
  • Love
Reactions: pattykay
We seldom watch any NBC programming, and no sports. Baby boomers who have no interest in such things. Especially with local locast coverage and slow court progress. I think locals are losing ground. Just my opinion.

Today Sling announced that the remainder of the NBC Sports RSN's are leaving on April 1. You have to wonder if Dish will be dropping them at that point as so many of the Dish/Sling deals have been done together.

Today Sling announced that the remainder of the NBC Sports RSN's are leaving on April 1. You have to wonder if Dish will be dropping them at that point as so many of the Dish/Sling deals have been done together.

If so, this would seem to be the reason for Dish suddenly offering five free months of the Multi-Sports Pack, as a way of apologizing for the lack of sports. (Or as a way to promote the few remaining sports channels that Dish has left.)
Note that the ad posted in that thread lists Multi-Sport as "15+ sports channels" which is the fewest number of channels that Dish has ever advertised as being in that package. It may also explain why the Regional Sports Surcharge (that was just introduced last year) was not on Dish's new price chart for this year. Some customers are already getting refunds for five months' worth of that surcharge on their bills.

• Wow
Reactions: TV Junkie
If so, this would seem to be the reason for Dish suddenly offering five free months of the Multi-Sports Pack, as a way of apologizing for the lack of sports. (Or as a way to promote the few remaining sports channels that Dish has left.)
Note that the ad posted in that thread lists Multi-Sport as "15+ sports channels" which is the fewest number of channels that Dish has ever advertised as being in that package. It may also explain why the Regional Sports Surcharge (that was just introduced last year) was not on Dish's new price chart for this year. Some customers are already getting refunds for five months' worth of that surcharge on their bills.

You are right... Dish is also losing the rest of the NBC RSN's. Looks to be April 1 although it doesn't say specifically.

An NBC Universal spokesman released this statement late this afternoon: “The NBC Regional Sports Networks offered to continue distribution on fair market terms. DISH and Sling declined those terms and will be dropping the networks. The many other distributors that continue to carry the RSNs are listed on each RSN’s website.”

I am shocked that Comcast/NBC didn't require the RSN's to be bundled with Golf Channel, NBC local renewal, etc.

I have been saying that this is coming for a long time. With most of the other RSN's already gone, it really doesn't make much sense for Dish to continue to carry these. Even among the NBC Sports (formerly Comcast-branded) RSN's, Dish has been gradually dropping those region-by-region for awhile: Boston, Chicago, and never had Philadelphia in the first place.

Also, Dish likes to advertise the same price for each basic package nationwide, and had largely resisted adding regional surcharges. So, even when Dish finally added such sports surcharges, I figured it was just a temporary measure. As long as the RSN's remain bundled in with the general entertainment basic packages, the national pricing only makes sense if every region (or almost every region) gets their RSN's, or if every region (or almost every region) lacks RSN's on Dish. So, look for the few remaining RSN's to also get dropped as those contracts expire.

And I get a chuckle out of the fact Dish just signed a deal with Draft Kings, but if fans want to bet on their home teams, they won't be able to watch the RSN's that most of the games would be on.

By my count, that would mean the only RSN's would be NESN, MASN, and the AT&T/Root Sports channels.

And I get a chuckle out of the fact Dish just signed a deal with Draft Kings,
It would have been funnier if it had been a deal with Bally's for a sports betting app, instead of Draft Kings.
but if fans want to bet on their home teams, they won't be able to watch the RSN's that most of the games would be on.
I still think it was funny that Dish bothered to roll out a major revamp of the Game Finder app, almost immediately after dropping most of the RSN's, so there would be a lot fewer games to find. I think Dish times these app rollouts to give them some publicity that makes it look like they still care about sports, and to distract attention away from the fact that sports channels are being dropped.

And I get a chuckle out of the fact Dish just signed a deal with Draft Kings, but if fans want to bet on their home teams, they won't be able to watch the RSN's that most of the games would be on.

By my count, that would mean the only RSN's would be NESN, MASN, and the AT&T/Root Sports channels.
MASN will be gone on April 1, 2021...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts