NBC DVB-S2 Feeds on AMC1 Ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Go to "The List" at top of FTA Discussion, click the Satellite Angle Calculator button, plug in your zip or city, state or lat & long to get all your dish angles for 103*W Ku.

Go to "The List" at top of FTA Discussion, click the Satellite Angle Calculator button, plug in your zip or city, state or lat & long to get all your dish angles for 103*W Ku.

Got all that it's just the skew discussion that I wanted new info. The dish pointer is showing little skew for 103. 1.6 degrees CW is what it says for here, when I look it up. That is what is so confusing when others are saying that it is 25 degrees off.

Updated image:

1006235t.jpg

The US Open feed is looking great on the NBC mux!

plastic on the invacom pulls down to protect the cable connections.
I didn't realize it until I ripped one apart one time.

Just a quick question. I have a 84E primestar dish with a qph31 lnb. I can get the MS10 channels with 90% quality. But I can never lock in the dvbs-2 NBC feeds. Is it because of my skew?

It could be. At least it's an easy task to try. I get the MS channels with my "motorized by BUD' 30 inch but can't get anything else. Twisted the LNBF CW ~25° and scanned in many others. (But still too weak to produce dependable reception on the S2) So I put up a larger fixed dish on it.

plastic on the invacom pulls down to protect the cable connections.
I didn't realize it until I ripped one apart one time.

Yeah... I knew that (thanks for the reminder though). I guess I just keep it this way to make sure my connections are tight when I climb up there to check on things, or maybe it looks a bit better this way.

For others... this dish is the MutliStar 85 cm elliptical one. Some NBC transponders are weaker than others, as NBC Mountain and West come in easier than NBC East and Central.

What kind of C-band reception are you getting with an LNB that far off center on a dish that small? I've tried it on a 90cm and I hardly get anything with the LNB at the intended focal point.

Jim - I'm not getting anything right now with it, and just placed it to the right for now. I should try getting some channels again by moving it closer to the center. I know some people have had limited success with 90 cm dishes.

Last edited:
After reading about 103 West I decided to give it a try.Some time ago when playing with second LNB on 97W I saw a pretty good signal from 103W.
Idea was to get 97 and 101 from one dish but my original LNB for 97 is too big and dont leave me enough space to get 101.Space is only 4 degree.
Instead I got 103W.Its 6degree from prime LNB.Take a look on pic 1.DSCN2361.JPG
Then I set up a dedicated dish for 103 and will try to get to NBC signal that have that odd skew (20-25 off)
Take a look at pic 2DSCN2356.JPG
Signal quality is watchable on both.About the same.DSCN2366.JPG
Now Tell me how to adjust a skew so my dedicated 103W dish gets ONLY a MUX Frequencies from 11760 and 11880 (NBC MUX)
This way I will get all from 103.Both LNB are married with diseqc 4x1 and supply a signal to one of the input on my 8x1 diseqc.
So far my antenna farm works exelently!!
DSCN2357.JPG

If you're only getting a quality reading of 60 on 103W, I don't know if adjusting the skew will get you the NBC HD channels. I suspect that your Dish dish might be too small. As for the dish that has 97W and 103W, I suspect that your second LNBF isn't aimed correctly. Before I got a motor, I could get the NBC HD channels on a 30" dish with a secondary LNBF, but it took a lot of time to get it right. Now, on my 36" motorized dish, I can usually get at least one of the NBC HD transponders without modifying the skew at all. Your location may have a weaker signal, but it should still be higher than 60 on the non-S2 transponders even without accounting for the weird skew.

Thanks Jim S for replaying.You may be right about size of my antennas.Don,t have more room for bigger size so my only choice was to use DBS dishes.Was thinking if I have watchable signal on Huntington Beach and Microspace Bar then obtaining NBC will be a piece of Cake.Not Really!! Was rotating my LNB like an Idiot for left and right and...Big NOTHING. Looks to me that one day I am going to make more room for FTA size dish.Anyway its a fun to use small antenna for our weak signals coming from Clarks Belt.Remember my first days when Could get NOTHING on 1 Meter dish even from 97W.Heaving experience only from DBS installations is not enough for our play.Today when do DBS don't need any meter at all.For FTA I am using ONLY $ 6.00 signal meter and by looking around on neighborhoods roofs I already know How to do it.When was young never believed my father that used to say practice make a champions....
Anyone else tried to get on NBC by using small size plate? What would be a clock position of LNB looking from front of dish?

DVB-S2 requires a larger dish, so its not surprising that those TPs are not coming in with a modified DBS dish. They are somewhat weak for me with a 90CM, so I am going to install a 1.2M before the Olympics start.

For FTA I am using ONLY $ 6.00 signal meter

If you want to try with your Globecast dish, you really ought to take a TV and receiver out to the dish. (A lot cheaper than buying a digital meter!) Even if you don't end up getting the S2 transponders, I would've expected a better signal on the other ones. For one thing, I think your LNB isn't even pointing toward the center of the dish. It looks like it's pointing far away from it. I'd expect it to at least be parallel to the main one for a decent signal at all, and pointed inward slightly for the optimum signal.

Thats OK.2nd LNB on 97W dish cannot be centered because Main LNB is.Of course I,ve got portable monitor but my question was:
What is CLOCK position for NBC HD assuming that you have ONE MAin lnb for NY City.Like I said I Don.t care much about transponders for Huntington and Test bar.
NBC ONLY.1 meter and above is easy.Its too easy.If I got a 10-20 quality at least Then I will make them work.I need a start point.I tell you one more thing!!
Skewing by Dish is not the same as skewing by LNB.Sometimes rotating dish ((skew rotation) has more effect then rotating LNB only.The best result I got when skew the dish and LNB.
When I work on strong transponders then I dont care.90 degree on plate and skew on LNB only.Always work for me.So far got ALL signals expect that NBC.But really I never put my attention there.
Talks about olimpics and posibility of using NBC for that make me get my hands on this bird

Skew for 103 Ku is approximately 25 degrees clockwise, when looking at the face of the dish, from where dishpointer says it should be. 60 Q on the beach channel is what I would get with the skew set as dishpointer had. twist the lnbf CW and Q = 73.
And then I could get the NBC Tp. (But not dependably on the 30 inch)
To visualize; On a clock, each hour is 15 degrees. So the skew correction is almost 2 hrs.
If the orange LNBF is on 103, twisting it CW 25 degrees looks impossible. But 180 - 25 looks do-able. (rotate it CCW ~155 degrees)(weather proof cable/F connections as the F connector will be about 2 o'clock)
May also improve if the offset LNBF were aimed closer to the center of the dish. (Spacer at rear of LNBF?)
The DishHD dish may be too small, for NBC, but improvement may be possible by adjusting it's LNBF skew CW.

Status
Please reply by conversation.