NBC HD Football looked like crap

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rbpd5015

Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
I get all excited about finally getting Football on my 56 Samsung 1080P DLP wiith HD Locas from Direct TV and it looked like crap.

I hope I am not the only person with this problem, and I hope this is an issue NBC knows about. It seemed ok until fast movement, during fast movement the image became blockly. Did anyone else notice this last night? Is this a compression issue with direct tv or is it a problem with my tv or is NBC just messing something good up???

Anyone with some answers please help.

Also if you are from West Palm Beach FL, WHEN ARE WE GETTING CBS AND FOX LOCAL HD, freaking football is a month away.

Thanks,
Matt

I don't have MPEG4 here in Columbus so I can't comment on the PQ there but I did compare the OTA PQ with the MPEG2 feed from D* and the D* feed was ok but the OTA was fantastic. In other words, was not NBC's fault, just of course compression issues or whatever the tech heads call it on D*'s end. I can't see ever giving up on the OTA and going with the D* locals unless something major changes.

I used to have D* and i switched to cable and I can tell you the PQ is much better on cable for HD programming. I did watch the game lastnight and notice some fuzziness, but not as bad and not unwatchable like when I was watch D* stuff.

rbpd5015 said:
I get all excited about finally getting Football on my 56 Samsung 1080P DLP wiith HD Locas from Direct TV and it looked like crap.

I hope I am not the only person with this problem, and I hope this is an issue NBC knows about. It seemed ok until fast movement, during fast movement the image became blockly. Did anyone else notice this last night? Is this a compression issue with direct tv or is it a problem with my tv or is NBC just messing something good up???

I noticed this as well on my D* NBC HD channel (Raleigh Durham) but it was not happening when I watched the game using my OTA.

Game looked good on (now Time Warner) here in the Cleveland area. As for the stuttering during fast movement, I believe that is a local station issue. Used to have it on one of the locals here, but they apparently figured it out and fixed it.

I am in ATL and there was a difference in pq. My HR10-250 had a horrible picture but my H20 had an awesome picture it was MPEG4.

It looked pretty bad here in Indianapolis over Insight Cable. I didn't think to check my OTA tuner, but my cable usually looks terrific and the local affiliates usually all do a great job on HD, so I assumed that it must've been a national feed issue.

The picture just didn't look that great, but the biggest thing I noticed is that the picture would be fairly sharp one instant and then suddenly become soft and somewhat blurred all of a sudden. Anyone else experience this?

While not a fan of the FOX bar at the top of the screen, I surely don't like what NBC did with that thing at the bottom.:(

In Chicago I used an OTA with my HR10-250 and it was a little fuzzy when there was a lot of movement. My signal strength was in the upper 80's as well. I don't think the unit gets a good picture from the ota.

I don't think you can blame all the problems on D* because I saw some weird things during the game too and I have my antenna hooked up directly to my TV (don't have a HD DVR from D* - yet) so my OTA signal was not going through any D* equipment.

What I saw was more like a filter NBC applied to the game whenever they came back to live action from a replay or booth shot or crowd shot. By a filter I mean the picture got darker and blurrier and it was very noticable. I didn't see any macro blocking during fast action though. The Brickyard race looked fine during the afternoon, so don't know what happed during the football game.

I have a thread over at TCF. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=310653

Had D* but had to drop upon our move(no locals) got Adelphia here(Massanutten,Va) and last night game while not the same as OTA,was better than D* feed ever was

According to the engineering dept. at the NBC affiliate here, the NETWORK transmission had "issues" leading to random pixelation. I saw the problem on both OTA transmission and via D*. As much as a few select folks like to ream D* on these things at every turn, this one appears to be an NBC issue.

NBC HD looked like crap for me as well. Your not the only one. It was terrible. While watching the highlights on ESPN HD, you could tell that ESPN got the right feed, while I watched a bunch of pixel problems.

my hd pic with cable is usually top notch but it seemed like the pq could have been better during the early part of the game. maybe, it was me, but it seemed it improved later on.

but, i wasn't exactly thrilled with the brickyard in hd, either! i think it might partly be nbc.........that's my 2 cents!

The picture just didn't look that great, but the biggest thing I noticed is that the picture would be fairly sharp one instant and then suddenly become soft and somewhat blurred all of a sudden. Anyone else experience this?[/QUOTE]

Same here in Louisville from sharp to soft all night long. I watched over the air.

I got the game OTA on WTWC digital channel 2 in tallahassee. I did not have the blurriness problems that many of the other NBC's in the country have. I thought the NBC HD pq was excellent for that game last night.

I watched the game in OKC with my H20 and OTA antenna from about 18 miles away.
It looked OK but I noticed when they switched to instant replay there was a like ghosting or double image for just a second and then it went normal but did it again when they switched back to live. Made my eyes hurt a little bit.

You can't blame DirecTV for NBC's crappy HD signal. NBC is known to have the worst HD of all the networks. OTA it was choppy with lots of dropouts. Just par for the course with NBC. A good bit of the problem is that many if not most NBC affiliates multicast like crazy. DirecTV or Dish can't make the signal of your local NBC any better then what they send out in the first place if they multicast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts