NBC HD Quality

bayzbol44

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Carpentersville, IL
Anyone out there also disappointed in the HD quality for NBC? Would it make it better if I upgraded my wires? I got some $40 HD wires. However, I have seen in the stores ones for $100, is there a major difference?

I am usually pretty happy with the ESPN/ABC quality, but when I try to watch a college football game, the quality is poor.

bayzbol44 said:
Anyone out there also disappointed in the HD quality for NBC? Would it make it better if I upgraded my wires? I got some $40 HD wires. However, I have seen in the stores ones for $100, is there a major difference?

I am usually pretty happy with the ESPN/ABC quality, but when I try to watch a college football game, the quality is poor.

OTA or Dish HD LiLs?

My PBS-HD & NBC-HD OTA blow away anything Dish has in it's HD lineup.

I see that you're in Illinois so I'm assuming you're talking about the NBC Chicago affiliate, and yes the NBC picture and sound quality are very poor. I sent an email a couple weeks ago to dishquality@echostar.com and was advised that they are aware of the problems and are working on correcting them. You may want to do the same so we can get as many people contacting them as possible.

bayzbol44 said:

NBC uses filters to intentionally soften their daytime line up (so Merideth and others don't look old) Primetime should be pristine though.

On cables, it depends ... If you run component video yes, there is a HUGE difference. for HDMI if you are under 6' a generic double-shielded for 20-25 bucks is as fine as a monster cable. If you exceed 2m, that is where degradation will begin and then the better HDMI cables payoff. I would say save the money and keep the run under 2m.

Also, I do not see any variance between component video and HDMI video

I find NBC to be very sharp on the tonight show with jay leno and our minneapolis kare nbc stations live hd to be sharp.
Otherwise I have not been impressed with any of the prime time shows for super picture quality. Dave.

I noticed this to watching the Bears game, Dish's picture was terrible, I get both Rockford and Chicago feeds OTA and both were fine. NBC is the only channel I get a crappy picture and it only seems to be SNF.

Thanks for the replies. I am in Chicago and just using the Dish Network NBC local feed. I am going to switch to OTA once I can find someone who can install the antenna and do the setup.

Slacker, I do not have HDMI cables, so I assume I have component cables. I will take your advice and upgrade to better wires in a few months. The only problem is that I need long wires because of the setup I have, so this is going to be pretty expensive.

bayzbol44 said:
so I assume I have component cables. I will take your advice and upgrade to better wires in a few months. The only problem is that I need long wires because of the setup I have, so this is going to be pretty expensive.

The first thing you need to do is figure out if you are using a component cable or something else, s-video, composite(yellow, red, & white), or god forbid rf cable

If you are not using HDMI or component you are not watching HD.
Component video cables are 3 wires color coded red, green, & blue.
If you are using a single wire & it is not an HDMI cable you are not feeding your TV a HD signal.

A quality cable does not have to be ultra expensive & just because a cable is ultra expensive does not necessarly make it a quality cable.

Check out monoprice for cables, good quality, good price
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&style=

Last edited:
bayzbol44 said:
Anyone out there also disappointed in the HD quality for NBC?

I get really bad breakup/signal loss on OTA in my area, which is very stange since the signal comes out of the same antenna farm as the other stations. Consistantly low signal level.

Dish LIL is better but still suffers from occasional breakup.

bayzbol44 said:
Thanks for the replies. I am in Chicago and just using the Dish Network NBC local feed. I am going to switch to OTA once I can find someone who can install the antenna and do the setup.

Slacker, I do not have HDMI cables, so I assume I have component cables. I will take your advice and upgrade to better wires in a few months. The only problem is that I need long wires because of the setup I have, so this is going to be pretty expensive.
Shop around, you should be able to find the 5m cable for less than $100 if you shop. I was a MonsterCable skeptic until I actually tried one. There is nothing better. Pay attention to the one you purchase as there are series 1, 2 & 3 + THx cables and each has a benefit. I find the series 2 cables meet my needs.

Sounds like your Local affiliate could be the NBC problem ... and if the send junk to E*, we you know ... garbage in, garbage out.

slacker9876 said:
I was a MonsterCable skeptic until I actually tried one. There is nothing better.
I agree wholeheartedly: There IS nothing better than a Monster Cable skeptic!

:D

I have 51" Sony KP51ws520 RPTV and a Samsung 42", their newest 42 I cant exactly remember the model #.

Anyway, I have tried monster cables, HDMI, component, optical, and digital coax and trust me there is no difference than the monoprice cables that i bought. All my components are within 6 feet of the TV however. At least at 6feet there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Still a Skeptic

I have done commercial and home installations. I fact I used to do delivery and install for a premiere A/V company in the Pac NW. We were sent out will the Monster cables so many times. The salesmen just loved to add those and laugh all the way to the bank. The mark up on those are 200%. There is very little difference between the Monster and the standard cable except gauge of the wire. In the length that they are used it make no difference. For longer runs bigger can help. The is just standard. Those that believe in exotic cables can't prove any improvement in the quality of the Picture or sound with any test. So believe if you have the $$.

whatchel1 said:
I have done commercial and home installations. I fact I used to do delivery and install for a premiere A/V company in the Pac NW. We were sent out will the Monster cables so many times. The salesmen just loved to add those and laugh all the way to the bank. The mark up on those are 200%. There is very little difference between the Monster and the standard cable except gauge of the wire. In the length that they are used it make no difference. For longer runs bigger can help. The is just standard. Those that believe in exotic cables can't prove any improvement in the quality of the Picture or sound with any test. So believe if you have the $$.
Wow! Thanks! You might have just saved me over $100!

Hp, thanks also. I actually think I have that same Sony TV, so your comments are a big help.

Jordan420 said:
:eek: :yikes :haha :down :confused:
How about instead of being a jackass, you post useful information if you know of a better product. Oh I guess perhaps because for analog cables MonsterCable has been the reference series for 12 years.

Jackass ....

whatchel1 said:
There is very little difference between the Monster and the standard cable except gauge of the wire. In the length that they are used it make no difference. For longer runs bigger can help. The is just standard. Those that believe in exotic cables can't prove any improvement in the quality of the Picture or sound with any test. So believe if you have the $$.
That is a simply inaccurate. Regular cables (those provided by hardware manufactures) are completely unshielded and have so much attenuation over 6' is is ridiculous. Monster has patents in the United States illustrating that their "stranded configurations" produce greater signal strength which is heightened though the use of top grade shielding. Anyone here that has ANY electrical background knows, electricity does not travel "through" conductors ... it rides the outside of the wires. So wires of the same gauge that have greater surface area are in fact BETTER. The conductor also make a difference which is why you can see the difference in cables that use tin or steel vs those with silver or gold connectors ... not to mention both silver and gold are more conductive materials. When you are talking current and signal materials make all the difference in the world.

For digital signals I agree SPDIF and HDMI there is a difference over 25' but nothing that would be observable to a user at less than 25', or an engineer for that matter.

While I will not do your research for you, it is quite provable ... go buy the cable and compare it yourself! Purchase from a location that allows returns with receipt, and buy over the Internet if you can, then you save tax and product cost. Ole boy is right about that 200% markup if you hit a Best Buy or Circuit City. Less overhead, less markup (and still more profit). No need to measure continuity ... just look at it! I would also like to add that I am NOT an installer, so I have nothing to gain by selling you a MonsterCable (lol, nor any cable for that matter). So if you disagree ... take it back!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts