NBC & the NHL

wolfjc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Cincinnati
I could not believe my ears yesterday Sunday 2/22/09 when between the first and second period of the Pittsburgh and Washington the talking heads said the Ovechkin
Was one of if not the greatest players of ALL TIME.
I think that they are overlooking some players.
Lets see Grets, Howe, the Rocket, Orr I could go on but there are a lot of great players of the past who were just as good or better than Ovechkin.
It is really sad to see how these network guys over hype the east coast teams and try to make it out as though these guys are the be all and end all of the NHL.
This is really surprising when it seems as though when it comes to be cup time the west seems to win most of the time.

I could not believe my ears yesterday Sunday 2/22/09 when between the first and second period of the Pittsburgh and Washington the talking heads said the Ovechkin
Lets see Grets, Howe, the Rocket, Orr I could go on but there are a lot of great players of the past who were just as good or better than Ovechkin.
It is really sad to see how these network guys over hype the east coast teams and try to make it out as though these guys are the be all and end all of the NHL.
This is really surprising when it seems as though when it comes to be cup time the west seems to win most of the time.

I did not bother watching it....What was the over/under on how many times sindey crosby was refered to as being great 10 or so, NBC sets it up like Pens are the defending cup champs

I really hate the guy, I wish someone would take a shot at him. Try to hurt him like he tries to hurt others.

Aren't the NBC guys the same ones that do TSN games in Canada? One could argue that NBC is getting the best in the business that aren't already working Saturday night.

They obviously have never seen anyone else play. Don't forget about Super Mario too.

Greatest player ever?........... Harold Snepsts, spent 17 seasons in the National Hockey League. He is one of the most popular players in the history of the Vancouver Canucks, the club where he spent the majority of his career, and currently serves on the team's scouting staff. Snepsts appeared in 1033 NHL games over his career, recording 38 goals and 195 assists for 233 points, along with 2009 penalty minutes playing for Vancouver, Minnesota North Stars, Detroit and St Louis.

You guys can have all of those big name guys, but I would take "Smilin' Harold" on my team anytime.

Last edited:

To be fair - Milbury did qualify this statement and said he (Ovechkin) can't be called amongst the best until he stands the test of time and "gets some rings". I think he has a point that Ovechkin is unique in terms of his ability to play physical and be a top scorer

There is really only one player that I can think of that played such a physical game and that was Mr Hockey himself (and no not Harold Snespts)

To be fair - Milbury did qualify this statement and said he (Ovechkin) can't be called amongst the best until he stands the test of time and "gets some rings". I think he has a point that Ovechkin is unique in terms of his ability to play physical and be a top scorer

There is really only one player that I can think of that played such a physical game and that was Mr Hockey himself (and no not Harold Snespts)

I sure agree with you about Howe and I could not remember the name of Milbury
and I think the the other guy was Doc Emery.
I think that it was Emery who called him the greatest of all time.

Greatest player ever?........... Harold Snepsts, spent 17 seasons in the National Hockey League. He is one of the most popular players in the history of the Vancouver Canucks, the club where he spent the majority of his career, and currently serves on the team's scouting staff. Snepsts appeared in 1033 NHL games over his career, recording 38 goals and 195 assists for 233 points, along with 2009 penalty minutes playing for Vancouver, Minnesota North Stars, Detroit and St Louis.

You guys can have all of those big name guys, but I would take "Smilin' Harold" on my team anytime.

Where you been Diamond? good to here from you again.

I remember "Harold". Used to love how the Wing's faithful would chant "Ha-rold" whenever he hit the ice. Check out his plus/minus numbers. Outstanding for a defensive player.

Last edited:
Where you been Diamond? good to here from you again.

I remember "HOWARD". Used to love how the Wing's faithful would chant "HOW-ARD" whenever he hit the ice. Check out his plus/minus numbers. Outstanding for a defensive player.

Hi Paul,

I knew if anyone would remember "Smilin' Harold," it would be you.

Harold who?

Not much of a hockey fan are ya :)? When I seen the winged wheel logo I was suprised of your comment. "Smilin' Harold" roamed the NHL rinks of North America, including Joe Louis Arena for 17 years takin' names and kickin' ass. He got the nickname for obvious reasons. He would be working some guy over and you could see that ever present smile on his face. I loved him.

Check out my man Harold: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Snepsts"]Harold Snepsts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Harold Snepsts..An icon of sorts here in Detroit...Did the little things, I can still hear the chants "Ha-rold"

Hi Paul,

I knew if anyone would remember "Smilin' Harold," it would be you.

Not much of a hockey fan are ya :)? When I seen the winged wheel logo I was suprised of your comment. "Smilin' Harold" roamed the NHL rinks of North America, including Joe Louis Arena for 17 years takin' names and kickin' ass. He got the nickname for obvious reasons. He would be working some guy over and you could see that ever present smile on his face. I loved him.

Check out my man Harold: Harold Snepsts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well I am a big hockey fan and I used to live in Detroit from 1966-1976 and I did attend a few games at the old barn, the one before the Joe, but I have never heard of Harold.
When I was in Detroit I mostly saw HNIC from the Windsor TV station Chanel 9.
It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I started to buy Center Ice. I don't recall that there were many Wings on any other TV station except chanel 50 some times.

I wish they'd go back to regional games.Nothing against other cities,but I'm tired of having Sidney Crosby ,the Penguins and the Detroit Red Wings shoved at me every other week.I'd rather see my local teams (and Philly) as others in different cities probably would too ? I also can't stand that stupid theme music with those trumpets.I'm hearing them in my sleep !!! <lol> I now mute it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)