NBC Unveils Its Fall Premiere Dates

Last year Heroes was the only NBC on my DVR list. Unless The Event turns out to be fairly good or doesn't get canceled early, NBC might actually be shut out of my list.

Interesting how Big Bang Theory has moved to Thursday. Maybe they think they can steal the "geek" crowd from ABC's Ugly Betty.

Just posted this in another forum. (Sorry if it is a rerun for you...)

I'll probably say this about a dozen times over the next few months... 2009-2010 is probably going to be remembered as the last year of the Golden Age of Television. The last span of years have been far better, imho, than any years in the past, in terms of the quantity of quality television, factoring in both artistic and technical considerations.

2010-2011, therefore, will be known as the first year after the Golden Age.

To be fair, NBC is offering Undercovers, which I suspect will become my wife's and my favorite new show of the year. Other than that, we'll stick with Chuck and Parenthood, and will probably record a couple of others (though probably won't watch them).

Just posted this in another forum. (Sorry if it is a rerun for you...)

I'll probably say this about a dozen times over the next few months... 2009-2010 is probably going to be remembered as the last year of the Golden Age of Television.
I think you're about 50 yrs late.;)

Nah, I deliberately made that reference. I feel that, by comparison to the television drama we've enjoyed over the last decade, that stuff 50 years ago sucked, quite frankly. I think nostalgia clouds things a bit, and that accounts for what I consider the gross misperception.

Nah, I deliberately made that reference. I feel that, by comparison to the television drama we've enjoyed over the last decade, that stuff 50 years ago sucked, quite frankly. I think nostalgia clouds things a bit, and that accounts for what I consider the gross misperception.
It's fairly obvious you grew up no where near that period, as I did. If anything on TV that history will prove SUCKED, it will be 99% of all the reality shows.

It's fairly obvious you grew up no where near that period, as I did. If anything on TV that history will prove SUCKED, it will be 99% of all the reality shows.

Agree 100% if there was some recent golden age, it died IMHO during the first writers' strike when the concept of reality TV was introduced.

It's fairly obvious you grew up no where near that period, as I did.
Whatever you'd like to believe. :rolleyes: It is fairly obvious that you are unwilling to grant that reasonable people could disagree with you.

If anything on TV that history will prove SUCKED, it will be 99% of all the reality shows.
I don't disagree, personally, but the implication that all they're presenting these days are reality shows is ridiculous.

I'm talking about dramas versus dramas, 1950s and 1960s versus 1990s and 2000s. The latter two decades beat the former two decades, hands down, afaic. Indeed, some of the very best series ever, The Wire, Sleeper Cell, Deadwood, etc., have been presented in these past two decades.

After "Friday Night Lights" ends, I don't see anything on NBC that would be tempting to get involved with again. Reality shows killed good TV dramas but they are less expensive to produce and fill a time slot.

Whatever you'd like to believe. :rolleyes: It is fairly obvious that you are unwilling to grant that reasonable people could disagree with you.
I find it unreasonable that someone who clearly is generations removed from a time period will just flippantly say It SUCKED! If you didn't live it, you can't judge it.

First, not all older folks get old. I suppose because my wife and I carry AARP cards we can't hike either? :rolleyes:

Second, I didn't live through World War II, but I can "judge" the living through it. It is called perspective. When my wife and I went to school, they were still teaching that. I guess that sort of things was gone by the time you made it to school. :rolleyes:

Let's stop with the discussion of the discussion. Back to talking about television.

Every era has its good shows and bad. I grew up watching shows from the 80's and 90's, maybe a few from the 70's. They just dont make shows like they used to. I would call the Golden Era of television the mid to late 60's, 70's, 80's and early to mid 90's. After that something just seemed to change. I was hoping that a few channels would capitalize on this and start making shows like they used to.

I'd put a decade that produced shows like All In The Family, M.A.S.H., Magnum P.I., Simon and Simon and Dallas up against just about any other string of years.

I'm still not sure how shows like The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Charlie's Angels and Vega$ will be remembered, but they had some lovely scenery. ;)

With all due deference to Cheers, Cosby, Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld, those were the days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts