NBCSN to shut down?

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
  • Angry
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Not Happening, at least not yet. My guess is that if anything gets shut down from the NBC/Comcast channels, Olympic Channel would go first. That channel seems to have the least amount of new content and a lot of those sports I could see moving the Peacock.

Depends if they retain the NHL contract next year.

Isn't the Olympic Channel a joint venture with the USOC?

Not Happening, at least not yet. My guess is that if anything gets shut down from the NBC/Comcast channels, Olympic Channel would go first. That channel seems to have the least amount of new content and a lot of those sports I could see moving the Peacock.
I think if they shut it down will depend if they have any Olympics in 2021. This channel was supposed to have content that others didn't have.

The goal of Sat/Cable carriage is you get people who don't watch your channel to pay for it. Peacock requires carriage of people that want to watch it. And they are paying a good deal for EPL rights, among other rights.

This EPL season has been tough for EPL on NBCSN because of attendance restrictions in England, the EPL has been playing one game at a time and spreading the games across the day... and NBCSN has had other obligations, so I went a while with seeing very little Liverpool (First World Problems).

And they lost Formula 1 to ESPN two years back, so that doesn’t help.

I was completely wrong on that. I never thought that it would happen that quickly. But now that gives Olympic Channel a chance to show more live Olympics programming, which makes sense. I really thought Olympic Channel would go before NBCSN.

NBCSN has already moved its, quite good IMHO, daytime talk shows to Peacock. So much better than what ESPN and Fox do in that time segment.

The real question is is NBC serious about making USA into something like TNT (general reruns with some live sports) or is it just using USA to burn off content. IMHO, the former would be the better course, as the "general rerun" channel has run its course. Most people who want to watch 20 year old police procedurals probably caught them on one of their first 10000 airings. Sports would add some value to USA.

The four main legs that NBCSN stands on are:

- NASCAR. Which is signed through 24, and which contractually cannot be moved to the internet. Long term the sport's ratings have crashed, and rumors have Fox not renewing for its half. CBS has a lot of conflicts with golf and no Sunday slots available once the NFL starts. Disney seems fine without it. Leaving????

- Indy. Contract runs out after this season. Ratings, other than for the 500, are niche, but it turns a profit.

- Euro soccer. Not my thing, don't know.

- NHL. Contract runs out after this year. Rumors have ESPN very interested.

So, the main question is will Comcast dig deep to get sports for USA?

NBCSN has already moved its, quite good IMHO, daytime talk shows to Peacock. So much better than what ESPN and Fox do in that time segment.

The real question is is NBC serious about making USA into something like TNT (general reruns with some live sports) or is it just using USA to burn off content. IMHO, the former would be the better course, as the "general rerun" channel has run its course. Most people who want to watch 20 year old police procedurals probably caught them on one of their first 10000 airings. Sports would add some value to USA.

The four main legs that NBCSN stands on are:

- NASCAR. Which is signed through 24, and which contractually cannot be moved to the internet. Long term the sport's ratings have crashed, and rumors have Fox not renewing for its half. CBS has a lot of conflicts with golf and no Sunday slots available once the NFL starts. Disney seems fine without it. Leaving????

- Indy. Contract runs out after this season. Ratings, other than for the 500, are niche, but it turns a profit.

- Euro soccer. Not my thing, don't know.

- NHL. Contract runs out after this year. Rumors have ESPN very interested.

So, the main question is will Comcast dig deep to get sports for USA?
I gave my answers in the Dish forum and I'll post them here also. 1. NASCAR will probably go to FOX Sports1 since they have they first half of the season anyway. 2 Indy might go to ABC or ESPN or CBSSN since they have the Trans Am series and certain other odd ball races. Plus they are to begin Formula 1 E telecasts.4. Euro soccer may go to Peacock streaming or CBSSN. 5. NHL I say both the NHL network and ESPN + or ESPN. ESPN + has been
broadcasting NHL games since it started. That is my TWO cents.

Where does this all end ?

We as end users paying .25 here $5 there on a cable bill adding up to about unlimited choices for $100 or so. having 25-30 providers looking for $12-20 each really ?

I looked at cable like a grocery store. saved going to 50 different places to get what I wanted. pretty good model.

Reactions: Jimbo
And Sports Net (Canadian sports channel) is reporting that the NHL and ESPN have agreed to a 7 year deal for slightly more than half of the NHL's national USA rights. NBC is reportedly still interested in a renewal for the remainder.

And Sports Net (Canadian sports channel) is reporting that the NHL and ESPN have agreed to a 7 year deal for slightly more than half of the NHL's national USA rights. NBC is reportedly still interested in a renewal for the remainder.
So I guess this means espnews will cover hockey again?...lol

Reactions: SamCdbs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)