NCAA in HD Blacked Out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Janney66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Merrimack, NH
Is anyone elses O&O CBS HD channels blacked out during the NCAA game right now? Is this because of the March Madness HD package? This is not making me happy, I expected to see some games in HD.

others have had the feeds blacked out, yes. Watch the game in HD on your local affil (if possible of course) if you want more HD get the package...

Not happy about being blacked out either...

Yes, my CBS-HD is blacked out as well for the basketball games. That's not cool. I am paying extra for the HD package and don't appreciate channels, that I am paying extra for, being blacked out just because D* wants to make up some package deal where they can make more money.

Again, this does not sit well with me. If cable HD was available in my area, I would definately be switching.

Oh by the way, I recently saw cable HD at a relatives house, man...the picture quality was much better then D*'s HD...

that's not the reason for the blackout.

CBS Network controls the blackouts.

I have to say I am very unhappy with the DIRECTV NCAA coverage in HD. I live in the NY market. If I check the guide it shows the CBS west coast feed in HD however the east coast feed is not. What gives? If every game is available in HD why are we not getting it? I thought the idea of the tournament package was to be able to watch whatever game you wanted, not to get something we are already paying for.

1. No where have I read that all games ARE being produced in HD, and this is ONLY up the the network that is originating the broadcast, not your provider.

2. The NCAA determines a school's regional area and the networks determine the DMA areas, thus your black out rules, D* just enforces them just like E*and cable. ALL the sports packs specifically spell this out BEFORE you buy them.

3. Just cause you have the D* HD package doesn't meant you get everything in HD. You still need to buy the particular sports packages to get that content regardless who the originating broadcaster is. Just like the D* PPV HD channel, it isn't wide open for you just because you pay for the monthly HD service; you have to pay extra for each event; these sports deals are just big PPV's.

4. Complain to the FCC and the NAB about all these ridiculous rules that have been setup years ago to protect your LOCAL AFFILIATE'S illegal monopoly for areas they claim. Your provider has ZERO control over this except to lobby for rules changes to allow every provider total access to everything and just let the end consumer decide how they wish to receive the programming. This is the way it SHOULD be.

I spoke too soon. Tonight's Syracuse game is being shown in HD despite the fact that the guide does not say it is. I was not complaining about the game being blacked out, the game is being shown on channel 80 however it was shown in SD while the guide said 81 was being broadcast in HD. The problem appears to be corrected tonight so maybe it was just a "glitch" in the system yesterday.

And you are correct about ALL of the games not being produced in HD. It is half of the first round venues. Hopefully all of next weekend's games will be in HD.

I just got off the phone with DTV HD rep. He couldn't explain the blackout rules for the NCAA. Its totally screwed. I live in SF-CA O&O market and I received TT-Gonz this morning on 81 LAHD-CBS and then UOP-UW is blacked out? What gives? Both my local and LA-HD are showing the exact same games. Maybe UOP(Stockton) is considered my local team?
WHAT I really think is happening. Since the first game had no other games running against it at the same time, then I got to watch in HD. Once the second game started and there was another game somewhere else in the country then they decided to black it out. Which is stupid and I refuse to spend $59 just to watch games in HD. We will see next weekend when there aren't multiple games running at the same time and all of the games are in HD what happens. I told the DTV guy I was pissed and was going to order Comcast this week and cancel my DTV HD package. Of course he didn't care.

gwinchilla said:
That's not cool. I am paying extra for the HD package and don't appreciate channels, that I am paying extra for, being blacked out just because D* wants to make up some package deal where they can make more money.

Again, this does not sit well with me.

Sorry, but your mis-informed. You are not paying extra for the CBS-HD feed. It is not technically part of the HD package. It is part of your locals and Total Choice package.

DirecTV Website said:
CBS HDTV programming may be available in select markets to some DIRECTV customers who have HD equipment and a TOTAL CHOICE® programming package or the DIRECTV HD Package. The CBS HDTV programming currently available for eligible customers is from either WCBS (New York) or KCBS (Los Angeles), depending upon your geographic location.

So if I'm gonna get my O&O locals w/o the HD package, that sounds like reason to me to cancel the HD package until they get some more content. I find myself watching non of the HD channels minus ESPNHD.

I agree with you zaydon. I was watching NC State and UConn today in HD and right at 1:00 pm CST, my NY affiliate feed was blacked out. I've noticed that several times throughout the tournament when the same game is on my local and on the NY affiliate, the NY feed has been blacked out when there's more than one game going on.

zaydon said:
So if I'm gonna get my O&O locals w/o the HD package, that sounds like reason to me to cancel the HD package until they get some more content. I find myself watching non of the HD channels minus ESPNHD.

If I didn't have the HD package for free until June, I would cancel it also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts