Need a bigger outside cable box?

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I sure did. I wish I had before and after pics but my house had the standard 12x8x3 or so cable box and I had 10 wall jacks + 4 LNB feeds + the cable TV hookup from the street terminating in. That's 15 coax terminations!

Now the Voom guy comes along and adds a 4 way multi-switch + a HUGE OTA amp.

The box would barely close with all the cables inside. With the addition of the multi-switch / OTA AMP the Cable box's lid would only go on about half way.

The installer told me about this of course and I asked him to just do whatever he could to get me by until I could find a bigger cable box which turned out to be quite the task to find. I checked the local hardware stores (Ace / Home Depot / Lowes / grainger / etc) and all they had to offer were VERY expensive waterproof junction boxes or circuit breaker boxes which I could have gutted and used but that was again an expensive option.

After some extensive googling I found this at http://www.hometech.com/:

11mdegys.jpg

Inside View

It's part number GC-11MDEGY under Enclosure Boxes.

It only cost $16.95 w/7.95 shipping (CA --> PHX).

Outside dimensions (including hinges and tabs): 12"(W) x 18 1/4"(H) x 3 3/4"(D)
Usable Inside Dimensions: 10"(W) x 17"(H) x 2"(D)

This easily organized my wiring dilema. Inside the box it has some stand-offs to mount your multi-plexer / whatever which I did.

My only complaint is the the door on the front feels kind of cheap. I can most definately live with it :).

Shawn

shawn them are pretty big boxes the only thing i don't like is they are not to thick but it is pretty good box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)