Just had a bigger dish ordered, some tips please!

fastfed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Anyway I live in South Florida, I have a strong signal during nice days ( 96 ) but once a Little rain comes it goes to 0, I pretty much lose the signal. My dad with Direct TV even during our hurricanes, NEVER LOST SIGNAL..

I just got off the phone with voom and they are going to have a bigger dish installed a week from this Saturday.. Will this help out a good amount?
Thanks all

A bigger dish will help to reduce rain fade. Did they tell you that they would install the new elliptical dish? If so--that would be big news. That one is supposed to be coming out soon, but nobody has heard anything for quite a while. If they upgrade you to a round 24" or to something other than the elliptical, it would tell us that the implementation of the elliptical dish is not going to happen anytime soon.

What's the process to get a bigger dish?

I've noted severe rain fade here in San Antonio with the original 18" dish they installed. How do you get them to bring out the bigger dish? Call and complain?

I can't imagine they want to upgrade everyone to a larger dish so I would expect some push back from them as they are bleeding cash and cant expect they would keep paying Installs Inc for upgrade work with no new revenue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

South Florida here as well

I live in Miami Beach & had the 24" dish installed about two months ago and it has for the most part eliminated my rain fade problems. Of course it still stutters with a nasty storm but out of the last 60 days, I've only had rain fade once.

FL is the wrong state to judge rain fade from. When it rains hard, sometimes signal for all three will go out and sometimes all three have no problems. For example, I live in FL, during afternoon thundershowers, I always loose signal. During all four hurrincanes, I never lost the signal, go figure.

Well they called and said they will install a 24" dish, I begged for the bigger one ( 30"?? ) but they said Voom denied..

fastfed said:
Well they called and said they will install a 24" dish, I begged for the bigger one ( 30"?? ) but they said Voom denied..
Overall I think you're better off with a 24" over a 30" because the 30" will wobble more in high winds and affect the signal.

I've had the 24" for several months now and it's made a definite improvment during rain storms.

I live in South Florida as well. The 24 inch dish solved all of my rain fade problems. Didn't miss a beat during the hurricanes.
They should just make it mandatory for South Floridians to go straight to 24 inches. During the summer down here it rains EVERY DAY!

I had the 60 cm (Winegard DS 406x) dish installed today replacing the 46cm. Partly cloudy (no rain) weather right now and I have a 98 signal strength. I will have to wait for some rain before I have any conclusive data. I am in South Louisiana near the coast.