ALMOST had my install today

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
Well, my second scheduled install date ALMOST worked out this morning.

Installer showed up right on time and appeared very knowledgeable. He had all of the equipment with him and even brought along the upgraded antenna.

Unfortunately I live in the snow belt and have a high roof. While it has not snowed recently, there was still snow on the roof which prevented him from climbing up where he needed to. Can not blame him a bit, I would not go up there myself in good weather! Can now only hope that next week works out.

Amphicar770 said:
Well, my second scheduled install date ALMOST worked out this morning.

Installer showed up right on time and appeared very knowledgeable. He had all of the equipment with him and even brought along the upgraded antenna.

Unfortunately I live in the snow belt and have a high roof. While it has not snowed recently, there was still snow on the roof which prevented him from climbing up where he needed to. Can not blame him a bit, I would not go up there myself in good weather! Can now only hope that next week works out.

This is when you find what his weakness is and tempt him. You know, women, money, booze. If that does'nt work there is always "at gun point."

Hang in there Amp, I was supposed to have had a STB added Saturday but no show or call from the installer. He's been to my house 3 times and still don't remember my house or me when he calls. CSR says someone will be in touch within 48 hrs, yada yada yada.....He's a cool guy, when he does show up.

Amphicar770 said:

Bummer on the missed install.

Except for line of sight issues, the roof is the last place I would mount these small light dishes. Up there they will fill up with snow and lose signal, they are hard to adjust/readjust, and create the possibility of people falling off ladders.

I mount them under an eave near a window. They are better protected from wind/weather, and even if this dish fills with snow (only happens if you have a horizontal blow straight at the dish) open the window and brush off with a small handbroom...back in business.

Where I used to live, all the people with roof mounted dishes came over to my place to continue watching :D .

Rob.

You can also lash 3 or 4 broomsticks together with an old sponge mop on the end. Works like a champ!

Of course, beyond 20 feet of length, the thing gets a little difficult to control. Just gotta hope the dish is locked down tight.

tvrobert said:
You can also lash 3 or 4 broomsticks together with an old sponge mop on the end. Works like a champ!

Of course, beyond 20 feet of length, the thing gets a little difficult to control. Just gotta hope the dish is locked down tight.

Especially trying to hit a target 23,000 miles in space.

Cliff said:
Especially trying to hit a target 23,000 miles in space.

LOL...and 'ya still have to tromp out into the snow every time the sat fills up with snow :clap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)