Need a little help before making the big switch to Dish

rufusrex

Original poster
Oct 10, 2006
Just looking for some opinions before making the switch from TWC to Dish. I currently have TWC digital with the HD tier. While the HD channels for the most part look great, the analog and digital channels are so-so. Analog is real hit or miss, some look good, other horrible. The digital look OK, but get pretty blocky during movement. I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on the HD Gold package.

From your experiences, how the the SD channels? I'm assuming the HD channels will be great, and that is the main reason for the switch, the extra HD content. I've also gotten used to my 2 ReplayTV units, but since they don't do HD it looks like the ViP622 may be the way to go for me.

Cost wise, the Dish will actually be a little more money but it's only a few bucks, so that is not really a big factor.

We have an older OTA antenna on the roof so I think I can get my locals in HD off the that.

Sorry for the long post, this is a big decision for me. My wife says I over-analyze everything.

Just looking for some either happy or unhappy Dish customers. Give me some prodding please so I can make the call.

Also, is there any difference between calling a local dealer, or calling Dish directly and having them send someone out? How can I be sure to get a good installer, I don't want holes in my walls and a poorly mounted dish.

Thanks!

You will always find more unhappy customers posting than happy ones.. People are always more willing to write the bad stuff than they are when things are going right..

But as far as your question goes, Dish has all Digital.. Which means that you will not have any channels that vary like you do on the analog section of cable TV. I love my Dish and would choose it over any cable system I have ever seen. Price is not even part of my equation. I don't care about price as much as I care about the quality of the picture I am seeing.. I don't like comparing prices. I like comparing picture. And satellite to me always beats cable in picture.

Hi, I switched from TWC to Dish (Gold pack) a couple of months ago and I have been extremely pleased with the change. I only wish I had switched sooner. I have the 622 and it is far superior to the SA8300 box TWC uses. I like having the ability to hook up a 2nd SD tv without another receiver.

I couldn't complain about the picture quality with TWC... for me it was the HD offering. I pay about $12 more with Dish, but it is well worth it.

I went with a local installer since he was highly recommended by a few people I know. Everything went perfectly. I had 2 Dish 500 mounted on my deck.

I switched from Cox to Dish 6 months ago (gold pkg-no HD yet). I was so surprised at how much better the picture looked compared to my cable picture. I am extremely happy with Dish so far. I am paying about the same as I did with cable, so that was not an issue. I'd say go for it. I think you'll be happy.

One thing you may want to check is the availability of HD locals in your area, since the 622 only has 1 OTA tuner, you can only record 1 OTA program in HD at a time.

I live in Orlando and Dish Network does not offer HD locals here. This restricts me from recording one OTA program, (ie, 'LOST'), while watching or recording another, (ie., 'American Idol') at the same time if they are both on OTA. This was the deal breaker for me from switching from Brighthouse.

However if you don't typically record or watch more than 1 network program at a time, you don't have to worry about it.

Honestly the SD quality of Dish is average to poor when viewed on any large 16x9 large screen TV, but then so is much other SD content form other providers I am sure. And once you see HD then compressed SD is so flat and fuzzy. I find that I watch very little Dish SD now, I watch HD, OTA HD or OTA Digital (4x3 on the HD channel) where the images have rich deep colors and sharp details! It is a shame more content is not moving over.

rufusrex: We ditched our sorry cable company years ago and have never looked back. We feel that all things considered, Dish gives a bit more for the money and their 622 is just super!

---Doug

Thanks for the input. The switch will be made tomorrow! I can't wait. I can't really complain about TWC too much, the DISH price is actually a little more than TWC, it was their poor picture quality on certain analog channels and highly compressed digital channels. Any movement on the digital channels makes for a lot of blockiness. Also, the boxes I tried all were crappy, one made loud popping from the audio out, another would lock up and reboot daily, etc... I was replacing the box every week. My main concern with switching was not being able to use my ReplayTVs any longer, but with the 622 I now get HD DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts