Need a recommend for my parents

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So now we have another issue. The Dish tech put the Hopper in the basement with the big TV and the Joey in my parents' bedroom, which is also where the Spectrum cable router is. The wifi signal won't reach the Hopper in the basement. Can an ethernet cable be connected to the Joey and provide internet for itself and the Hopper via a bridge?

They need to come back and either move the receiver, run an eithernet or install a hopper internet adaptor.

This is not your problem to fix

They need to come back and either move the receiver, run an eithernet or install a hopper internet adaptor.

This is not your problem to fix

Luckily my brother works for Best Buy and got a deal on a mesh wifi system. He set it up, connected the Hopper via wifi and all is well. I'm streaming Dayton locals here in Kansas over Dish Anywhere as we speak :)

Reactions: pattykay
Here are a couple photos of the outside setup. I wish the tech would have just removed the existing Directv dish off the pole on the roof and mount his western arc dish up there, but he insisted on a ground pole mount. The dish pole is also where he put the Televes antenna.

Obviously, height is critical for OTA so I may just move the Televes antenna up onto the roof pole when I'm there for Christmas.

My dad said the tech left all kinds of trash around and that he complained that Dish never gives them enough time to do the jobs. Not very professional. That part is disappointing.

All that being said, the job is done and the equipment is working.

View attachment 135254View attachment 135255
why was the dish mounted there it could have went somwhere else like on the roof. i agree with navychop id'e worry about someone screwing with the dish. and then you'll have to play russian roulette and get yourself some csr torcher:biggrin

Reactions: comfortably_numb
why was the dish mounted there it could have went somwhere else like on the roof. i agree with navychop id'e worry about someone screwing with the dish. and then you'll have to play russian roulette and get yourself some csr torcher:biggrin

We think the tech was pressed for time so he did a pole mount in the yard. Didn't bury it in concrete, though.

Fail.

When repaired, you have roof, gable and rear yard options.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

My guess is the tech was thinking "I'll get it going, then somebody else can come back later and fix it."

It's like how doctors nowadays have to see 10 patients before lunch. You get 15 minutes, then it if takes longer, you have to go back. Perhaps the tech was correct when he told my dad that Dish doesn't give them sufficient time to do their jobs.

All the next tech will have to do is move the dish and antenna.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish does not do its own work in Ohio. They use a contractor, Digital Dish. I am a former employee. The Dish should not have been mounted unless 811 or OUPS was contacted. All you need to do is call Dish, file a complaint, and request they fix it. They will because Dish will fine Digital Dish otherwise. Also request a FSM (Field Service Manager). You can deny any tech that shows up that is not one. Ask for credentials. If they want the bounty for the install, they will comply. Many areas in Ohio forbid any satellite install in the front yard, and your parents could be fined.

Dish does not do its own work in Ohio. They use a contractor, Digital Dish. I am a former employee. The Dish should not have been mounted unless 811 or OUPS was contacted. All you need to do is call Dish, file a complaint, and request they fix it. They will because Dish will fine Digital Dish otherwise. Also request a FSM (Field Service Manager). You can deny any tech that shows up that is not one. Ask for credentials. If they want the bounty for the install, they will comply. Many areas in Ohio forbid any satellite install in the front yard, and your parents could be fined.

Thank you VERY much for this information. I will email my contact in the back office at Dish and request the things you suggested. I was going to wait until Christmas week when I'll be in Ohio to do this, but it sounds like it should be done now.

By the way, WELCOME to the forum! :)

I discovered today that the $40/mo x 12 credits fall off my parents' account after the November billing cycle. I called Dish and asked if they'd renew that offer and they said the most they could do was $15/mo x 12, or $20/mo x 12 with a 2-year contract.

I accepted the $15/mo x 12 and am now looking at changing packages for them. The goal is to be as close to $50 as possible.

These are the must-have's:

ESPN
FS1
EWTN
Fox News
Weather Channel
History Channel
Some cartoon channels for the grandson
MTV Live (not an absolute necessity but my dad likes it)

I thought maybe Flex Pack with News and Sports add-on's?

Untitled2.jpg

Do they want the locals? If they do, you would need the Flex, News and National Action Pack. The Flex does have cartoon network, but that's about it for the grandson other than Baby TV.

$46.99 Flex and Locals ($34.99 + $12)
$12 National Action Pack
$10 News Pack
$22 Equipment Fees
-$15 Courtesy Credit

You would be looking at around $75.99 per month. If it were me, I would stay with the America's Top 120 if my bill is going to stay roughly the same. If they don't need locals, you'd be down around $63 per month.

Do they want the locals? If they do, you would need the Flex, News and National Action Pack. The Flex does have cartoon network, but that's about it for the grandson other than Baby TV.

$46.99 Flex and Locals ($34.99 + $12)
$12 National Action Pack
$10 News Pack
$22 Equipment Fees
-$15 Courtesy Credit

You would be looking at around $75.99 per month. If it were me, I would stay with the America's Top 120 if my bill is going to stay roughly the same. If they don't need locals, you'd be down around $63 per month.

Yeah, I forgot to say they have the outdoor antenna with dual dongle, so they don't need locals.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do they absolutely need a Hopper

I think they need their HWS. The HWS is actually in the basement on the secondary TV because the OTA antenna feed would have required a second coax run to the living room, which wasn't feasible. There is a Joey 1.0 on the living room TV.

I'm considering buying them a Fire Stick for Christmas and eliminating the Joey to save $7.

BTW... I wish this wasn't a typo:

IMG_0136.JPG

Last edited:
Here are a couple photos of the outside setup. I wish the tech would have just removed the existing Directv dish off the pole on the roof and mount his western arc dish up there, but he insisted on a ground pole mount. The dish pole is also where he put the Televes antenna.

Obviously, height is critical for OTA so I may just move the Televes antenna up onto the roof pole when I'm there for Christmas.

My dad said the tech left all kinds of trash around and that he complained that Dish never gives them enough time to do the jobs. Not very professional. That part is disappointing.

All that being said, the job is done and the equipment is working.

View attachment 135254View attachment 135255

That’s the most laziest thing I have ever seen.

You don’t ground mount antennas. If your going to do that, you might as well get a pair of indoor rabbit ears

I think they need their HWS. The HWS is actually in the basement on the secondary TV because the OTA antenna feed would have required a second coax run to the living room, which wasn't feasible. There is a Joey 1.0 on the living room TV.

I'm considering buying them a Fire Stick for Christmas and eliminating the Joey to save $7.

BTW... I wish this wasn't a typo:

View attachment 136008

Actually if you read carefully at the bottom of yore bill it says something to the effect if you where quoted an incorrect price and can prove it was incorrect, Dish will honor the price.

I had a customer who requested a quote in writing. Usually in this case, we will mail out an official brochure with the promotion and pricing.

Well this idiot I had working for me wrote a letter using the Dish logo and managed to not only quote the wrong price but promised that the rates would never go up.

I remember getting the nasty gram from Dish on this one. I had to pay like $1200 which was the difference in prices quoted during the entire duration of the 2 year agreement and another $500 for improper use of the Dish Network logo.

Nothing I could do, I ended up sending a cashiers check to the head of the compliance department overnight, just do the whole issue could go away before anyone would change their minds on my “fine”

The employee was a brand new hire, it was not done on purpose either. The customer went from AT120 to AT250 after signing up and the employee only figured 1 receiver.

I could have argued it down to $500, but I didn’t want others at Dish looking at it and I was making so much money with them at the time I just wanted it to go away.

But keep the email. When the credits drop next year bring this up. It’s worth a shot.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts