Need a tower climber for Hopper 3 install

andtodo2

Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
Aspers, PA
I recently spoke with a DIRT rep and a CSR, both informed me the tech would not have to climb our tower as something was corrected on Dish's end. When the tech arrived today, I was told that something needed to be changed up on the actual dish. Currently, there is two dishes on our tower with two different cables coming down. How can I get someone to climb the tower to change out something so I can get the new hopper 3? The DIRT person stated "Reviewing your account, it shows that there is a mixture of orbital slots that are preventing the upgrade. To check what satellite signals you are getting, please click on the Menu button using the DISH remote then select Settings > Diagnostics > System Status. Advise of what satellites you have". Then I gave her the sat numbers and her reply was "Perfect, thanks! That was the problem. Now we are able to upgrade:. Any advice or will we just have to live with multiple hoppers.

Can the dish be relocated to the ground or does it have to be on the tower?

Are they too high for a bucket/cherry-picker to reach?

$$$

Of course, it depends upon how sturdy the tower is. Since it was done once, I'd assume pretty sturdy, not the usual Rohn, or he has used equipment before.

Who put the two dishes on the tower? Your Hopper 3 will need a Hybrid LNBF and only one satellite arc can be used for H3 either Eastern Arc or Western Arc not a combination of both. More than likely any installer that has equipment and insurance to climb a tower is going to come with a premium price.

when i was a dealer a friends family wanted dish so i took my tripod and dish and set it up. it was a rural campsite but no line of site issues with the dish in the front yard...

but they wanted it in the back yard:( ` they insited back yard but no line of site.

they wanted a tower i told them that wasnt a good choice. like how will you clear snow in the winter.

they put up a tower, it wasnt of good quality..........

it came down and hit their car, and damaged their roof.......

i could never understand their tower demand, the dish could easily be seen from their front yard...

about that time a close by neighbor of mine was installing a dish on their chimney.

i tried to convince him why a chimney mount on a 60 year old chimney was a poor choice.......

he said tv antennas always go on the chimney. he didnt listen not long after a big storm came thru the area. the chimney got ripped down the dish was hanging by its coax. my dish got partially ripped down too.

service outage didnt matter. we had no power for 3 days. a real PIA

Reactions: charlesrshell
The system was original set up by Dish. That was at least 5 - 10 years ago. I understand that Dish no longer allows their personnel to climb a tower. We currently have two hoppers and three joeys with excellent reception. A cherry picker will reach the top, I believe. We live near Gettysburg, PA, just 25 min north above Bendersville, PA.

$$$
Of course, it depends upon how sturdy the tower is. Since it was done once, I'd assume pretty sturdy, not the usual Rohn, or he has used equipment before.

The tower is very sturdy and rust free. Does anyone know of a Dish contractor who may do the job through Dish?

Thank you all for your comments. What are my options to contact a contracted Dish rep who will climb a tower? Surly there has to be someone who will do the installation. I appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thank you all for your comments. What are my options to contact a contracted Dish rep who will climb a tower? Surly there has to be someone who will do the installation. I appreciate any suggestions or comments.
Any DISH installer that works on the side doing nonstandard installs risks being unemployed.

Attachments

• Tower Climbing 001.JPG
    Tower Climbing 001.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Tower Climbing 002.JPG
    Tower Climbing 002.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Tower Climbing 003.JPG
    Tower Climbing 003.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 305
  • Tower Climbing 004.JPG
    Tower Climbing 004.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Tower Climbing 005.JPG
    Tower Climbing 005.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 294
NO!

Do NOT climb that tower! NOT safe and no pointing will work due to bending of tower as the guy climbs. Unless it is guy wired to the Nth degree, which I don't see.

All risk, no reward.