Need a wireless solution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Looking to replace my current setup and am looking for recommendations. There are so many wireless routers our there now I’m not sure what might be the best solution. I’m looking for a dual-band N solution as my current G solution just can’t handle any streaming. I’m in a 3 story townhouse with my internet connection coming in on the 3rd floor. I currently using Buffalo Wireless G routers and repeaters to pump a signal through all 3 floors (using WDS) as shown in the attached diagram. Any suggestions on the best replacement option for this setup? Thanks for any input anyone can give.
Lan.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend you pick up 2 or 3 AirPort Extremes. There are a couple of other threads on here about them. My wireless speeds went up 10x when I switched.

+2 on the Airport Extreme Solution.

I have a 3200 sq ft house, on three levels, with the cable modem and network junction box in the basement (surrounded by basement like cement walls). I have the main Airport extreme there, powering the wired network, and the wireless network. On the main floor, I have a second Airport Extreme in Wireless Extend Network mode (its not even connected to ethernet, it picks up the network and sends it out again). That reaches the rest of the house, and does so in a way where I have pretty much full bandwidth. I can get as much as 30-35MB downloads on speedtest connected to the network on the main floor. I could never do that before.

If you want more - and don't care about 5GHz connections, throw in an Airport express somewhere in the house. I actually keep my second extreme in my entertainment center, right next to my Apple TV and Dish DVR.

IF you go this route, the key is to manually set the channel on the main extreme, and then replicate that exact setting on the second one. IF they are on auto, you will end up with the same SSID splitting channels, and I found that I would sporadically lost connectivity (there is a thread about this buried somewhere from last summer). With them both on manual settings, its one seamless network, and has not had a dropped connection in oh, I guess the 6 or 7 months since I set it up. Its NOT a cheap network, but it works extremely well, it is fast, and for people like me who just don't want to worry about my network, and don't want to do the equivalent of putting a custom rom on it, its a great solution.

I also run a wireless utility called Air Radar on my mac. It shows me that I am currently seeing 11 other Wi-Fi networks from my living room. Six of which are on 2.4Ghz channel 6, a handful on 11 and a handful on 10. I have mine set to channel 4 and channel 153; and its the only one on that channel. Indeed, Air Radar sees version copies of my SSID, one for each Airport, and one on each channel. I basically blanket the house with these. And it works great. The program shows my signal strength as a % of max, and on the main floor Airport, I see 80%. It drops to under 50% for the main router, with the 2.4GHz stronger. To be honest I pretty much never run this program any more, as I don't need to - the network is flawless.

They can throw an Apple logo on anything and some of you guys will buy it. :p

Seriously though. The Airport extreme is a very good router but there are better ones for the same cost or less that are even better than the Air Port Extreme. There are even ones that may not be as good, but are a lot less money and will do exactly what he wants.

Looking to replace my current setup and am looking for recommendations. There are so many wireless routers our there now I’m not sure what might be the best solution. I’m looking for a dual-band N solution as my current G solution just can’t handle any streaming. I’m in a 3 story townhouse with my internet connection coming in on the 3rd floor. I currently using Buffalo Wireless G routers and repeaters to pump a signal through all 3 floors (using WDS) as shown in the attached diagram. Any suggestions on the best replacement option for this setup? Thanks for any input anyone can give.
View attachment 74704

Thanks in advance.

WDS is cutting your bandwidth in half every time it is used. So if you are using it twice then you are really killing it.

Here's a nice AP I use. I don't use it as router but it looks like it can be used as one. The range of this thing slaughters any other router out there. But one thing you do have to keep in mind is you can have a crazy strong 1000mw router upstairs but if your laptop isn't strong enough to penetrate up to the third floor then the AP will not be able to "hear" your laptop. Is there any way to run a wire downstairs to directly connect to another AP?

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Ultra-Long Range WiFi Router PowerAPN: Electronics

I can tell you this router is probably the most powerful residential router I've used. I believe it pumps out 600mw due to US regs. Compare that to your regular Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo, etc that pump out between 40-60mw.

Seriously though. The Airport extreme is a very good router but there are better ones for the same cost or less that are even better than the Air Port Extreme. There are even ones that may not be as good, but are a lot less money and will do exactly what he wants.

I bought the Airport Extreme after researching for months, and having bought and returned two other routers. The Airport is without a doubt the easiest router I have ever used, and it is by far the fastest and most reliable. Fan boy or not, people who disregard it because it has an Apple on it and a nice white case, miss out on probably the best - measured in ease of use and reliability - consumer (i.e., end user who does not want to, or does not have a clue how to tweak) router out there. Sure its expensive, but the dang thing works very well. For me the issue is distance covered, eliminating interference, and strength of signal over distance. And AE won on all three points.

The only other Apple product I own is a 7 year old iPod that sits in my truck, so dont call me a fanboy!

I have tested no less than 10 WiFi access points in the last year or so, some with custom firmware. I have yet to see anything near the performance of the AirPort Extremes.

Apple just gets some things right!

The only other Apple product I own is a 7 year old iPod that sits in my truck, so dont call me a fanboy!

I have tested no less than 10 WiFi access points in the last year or so, some with custom firmware. I have yet to see anything near the performance of the AirPort Extremes.

You haven't used ubiquiti then.

Yes, Sir! :D

Considering I haven't called you or anyone else a fanboy, that is a pretty bold and false accusation.

I think this is why many accuse MAC users of being "fanboys" and having a cult following. It is not because they love MACs and their products, it is because they take things so personally when someone esle criticizes MAC products or simply points out better options. Or they are incapable of accepting the fact that their are better options for many things.

Yes, they do just get some things right. That doesn't mean there are not better alternatives.

These posts are a good example of what I am talking about. I made a joke, hence the smiley face at the end, and some appear to be offended. It is just a router after all.

Why do you think the very next sentence even started with the word, "Seriously"? It is because it was meant to imply, along with the smiley face, that the first sentence was not serious.

In all seriousness, like I said in the first post, the Airport Extreme is a very good router. In addition, like I said in the first post, there are better routers for less money.

You threw out the fanboy line, nobody else did. How do you expect it will be responded to?

The OP asked for opinions, several folks gave them. Yes, there are several very good routers, and several really crappy ones. Digi gave his recommendation to ones he likes, several Airport Extreme users - myself included - gave our testament to our experiences with these routers.

People looking at Wireless Routers should check out Steve Gibson's site where he exposes the flaws in the Wi-Fi Protected Security (WPS): http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-337.htm

Using one of the custom ROMs (Tomato, DD-WRT) to flash a commercial router gets around the WPS security flaw introduced by the WiFi Alliance. Apple's AirPorts don't use a fixed PIN, so the attack that Steve describes doesn't work.

People looking at Wireless Routers should check out Steve Gibson's site where he exposes the flaws in the Wi-Fi Protected Security (WPS): http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-337.htm

Using one of the custom ROMs (Tomato, DD-WRT) to flash a commercial router gets around the WPS security flaw introduced by the WiFi Alliance. Apple's AirPorts don't use a fixed PIN, so the attack that Steve describes doesn't work.

Yep...Reaper is a VERY easy to use tool. I am glad my Ubiquiti equipment doesn't support WPS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)