Need Advice- Has anyone seen this message??

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a recording problem with either HBO, C-cast, both of them, or is this a joke??

I bought a Sony HD TV 6 weeks ago. I have HBO and an SA-8300 HD DVR from C-cast. Sometimes I'm too tired to watch shows so I record the movie or show from HBO on Demand onto a Sony RDR-GX7 recorder. I have 2 of them and NEITHER have inputs for componant cords. I have componant cords in the OUTPUT jacks to the TV on one of them. The other is the standard hook up- yellow RCA for video & red & white for sound. Neither recorder has an input for a HDMI connector. I tried playing the recorded film in both recorders and 2 Sony play back decks and got the same strange message. I'm also unable to set up a recording with the SA-8300/DVR from any On Demand ch. I also tried pressing the record button on the DVR when starting an On Demand film and it doesn't work. I could swear that a few weeks ago I could do that.

The on screen message reads: "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI connector and use the YPrPb connection to continue watching TV". What the heck is this? I never heard of HDCP until I saw this message. The film plays with sound, but the picture is blocked with this idiotic message. Can someone who knows what this is and how to make recordings play properly please give me a hand??

I do have players that are hooked up exactly how this message states and they don't lose the message. I am sending a picture of this message. All help is appreciated.:confused:

Attachments

• HD Message HBO.jpg
    HD Message HBO.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a recording problem with either HBO, C-cast, both of them, or is this a joke??

I bought a Sony HD TV 6 weeks ago. I have HBO and an SA-8300 HD DVR from C-cast. Sometimes I'm too tired to watch shows so I record the movie or show from HBO on Demand onto a Sony RDR-GX7 recorder. I have 2 of them and NEITHER have inputs for componant cords. I have componant cords in the OUTPUT jacks to the TV on one of them. The other is the standard hook up- yellow RCA for video & red & white for sound. Neither recorder has an input for a HDMI connector. I tried playing the recorded film in both recorders and 2 Sony play back decks and got the same strange message. I'm also unable to set up a recording with the SA-8300/DVR from any On Demand ch. I also tried pressing the record button on the DVR when starting an On Demand film and it doesn't work. I could swear that a few weeks ago I could do that.

The on screen message reads: "Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please disconnect the HDMI connector and use the YPrPb connection to continue watching TV". What the heck is this? I never heard of HDCP until I saw this message. The film plays with sound, but the picture is blocked with this idiotic message. Can someone who knows what this is and how to make recordings play properly please give me a hand??

I do have players that are hooked up exactly how this message states and they don't lose the message. I am sending a picture of this message. All help is appreciated.:confused:

Nobody has responded to my question, but over 30 people have read my post. Doesthis mean I'm the only person who has seen this message??????:confused:

Your Sony RDR-GX7 recorder has component out (YPbPr)
http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/rdrgx7b.jpg

Your SA-8300 HD has DVI out (electrically the same as HDMI, sans sound).
Can use an DVI-HDMI cable.

HDCP is High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the model of the TV set you bought? Is it a CRT?
I have not seen a TV in few years that had not a component input.

If you TV set is CRT, it won't have neither HDMI nor DVI connectors and you would have to use component.
Component is not protected by HDCP and should work.

If your TV is digital (LCD/Plasma/LCoS, Sony doesn't do DLP), it must have DVI and/or HDMI.
If the TV is over 2 years old, it might not support HDCP.

You are interested in output connectors on your recorders/DVR/PVR and input connectors on the TV.

I have no experience with your programming/recorders (I'm from Canada), but the first
question you have to answer is: are those channels allowed to be recorded?

Diogen.

Your Sony RDR-GX7 recorder has component out (YPbPr)
http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/rdrgx7b.jpg

HDCP is High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is the model of the TV set you bought? Is it a CRT?
I have not seen a TV in few years that had not a component input.

If you TV set is CRT, it won't have neither HDMI nor DVI connectors and you would have to use component.

If your TV is digital (LCD/Plasma/LCoS, Sony doesn't do DLP), it must have DVI and/or HDMI.
If the TV is over 2 years old, it might not support HDCP.

You are interested in output connectors on your recorders/DVR/PVR and input connectors on the TV.

I have no experience with your programming/recorders (I'm from Canada), but the first
question you have to answer is: are those channels allowed to be recorded?

Diogen.

I have a Sony KDS-R60XBR2 LCD TV. I have an HDMI cable going from the SA to the TV's input. Both DVD recorders are connected from the SA (B) outputs to their in's with yellow/red/white cords. One has componant cords going to the TV & the other has the yellow/red/white setup. The TV is brand new, and my SA has a DVR . The cable co. provides On Demand @ no charge with HBO & Starz. I do remember recording things from O.D. a while ago to the DVD recorders with no problems. This crazy message screen started popping up about 3 weeks ago. However, they are selective. Tonight I recorded some trailers from HBO O.D. and NO message showed up. I also notice that if I press the record button on the DVR while in O.D. it won't work. I called the cable co. and nobody knows anything about that message, but the last rep told me I can't record anything onto the SA's DVR from it.

I suspect this is an HBO ploy and/or the cable co. I remember when I had a C band dish and HBO was free for several years. They were the 1st one's to scramble their signals when they thought too many big dish people were getting their feeds. The way I see it is if I am paying for HBO I should be entitled to record anything they have for my own personal use. I also take great issue with the film makers about making backup copies for personal use. The GREED factor with these huge cos. is disgusting. If you pay for HBO or buy a DVD movie they make their royalty money. They want everyone to buy a 2nd movie and not make a backup copy for personal use. I never liked greedy corporations who are NEVER satisfied making billions of dollars and want more off people who already paid them for their product.

I fully understand that pirates are a whole other matter. Stealing is wrong, but I think HBO is getting quite good at it along with Hollywood. When my year is up with cable I will probably drop them if they are indeed causing this annoying inconvienence.

So, based on my TV and how all the units are connected I don't see any way to obtain the desired results without taking other measures. Do you have any other thoughts? BTW, have you seen the message? I have not found 1 person who has told me they get the message.

I think this whole thing stinks, period.:(

As Diogen stated, you are probably restricted from copying this program...and if it can be seen on your tv, you "could" copy it.
Check out this link concerning HBO on demand.
HBO Online: Corporate Info : FAQ - HBO Application of CGMS-A Copyright Protection<br><br>
Good luck,
Harold

Thanks. This explains why I have the problem. Like I said many times: Big corporations are NEVER satisfied- they always want billions of $$$ more. GREED is a most undesirable & disgusting way to fleece honest hard working Joe's who only will use copies for their own personal use. HBO should be ashamed!:mad:

Yeah... DRM sucks...
But it doesn't look like it is going away any time soon...

I thought that even premium channels had the copy flag set to "copy once". Guess they switched to "copy never".

Diogen.

Yeah... DRM sucks...
But it doesn't look like it is going away any time soon...

I thought that even premium channels had the copy flag set to "copy once". Guess they switched to "copy never".

Diogen.

I unplugged the HDMI cable & plugged in componant cords. No more nasty little message, all is well.:) My recorders aren't HD anyway. It's in the TV & that expensive HDMI cable.

I have no experience with your programming/recorders (I'm from Canada), Diogen.

I'm from Canada too... My TV set is a CRT (tube) and it has a HDMI connector. I have the Rogers HDPVR SA-8300HD, it has a HDMI connector, not a DVI connector. If I try to record from the analog video out without the tv on, I get a similar message. If I push the ok key, the message goes away and all is fine. If the TV is on when the recording takes place, the video is fine. If the HDMI cable is not plugged in then the recording is fine. This is due to the HDMI handshaking proceedure between the cable box and the TV. When the cable box is turned on, it senses the TV connected to the HDMI port and wants to handshake. If the handshake fails, the video to the TV is blocked. Unfortunately, the error message is displayed on the analog outputs of the cable box as well. Sometimes if I power my cable box and TV on in the wrong sequence, I will not get any signal from the HDMI port. Turning off and on again or unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in again gets the signal back. If you do no not use the HDMI port, then there is no digital connection, just analog connection and then there is no handshaking.

I'm from Canada too... My TV set is a CRT (tube) and it has a HDMI connector. I have the Rogers HDPVR SA-8300HD, it has a HDMI connector, not a DVI connector. If I try to record from the analog video out without the tv on, I get a similar message. If I push the ok key, the message goes away and all is fine. If the TV is on when the recording takes place, the video is fine. If the HDMI cable is not plugged in then the recording is fine. This is due to the HDMI handshaking proceedure between the cable box and the TV. When the cable box is turned on, it senses the TV connected to the HDMI port and wants to handshake. If the handshake fails, the video to the TV is blocked. Unfortunately, the error message is displayed on the analog outputs of the cable box as well. Sometimes if I power my cable box and TV on in the wrong sequence, I will not get any signal from the HDMI port. Turning off and on again or unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in again gets the signal back. If you do no not use the HDMI port, then there is no digital connection, just analog connection and then there is no handshaking.

Thanks, but I now have Dish & am very happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)