Need Advice: Keep DP, Get a 721, or Go to DTV?

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I need some advice.

I've had a DP 7200 for four years and have suffered thru most of the problems that many others have had.

Recently I've been suffering thru the "Getting TV Information" screen every 2 to 3 days, which means that I lose my favorites as well as 15 minutes of download time. Might the hard drive be getting ready to go? Or is this just another DP anomaly?

Over the years, I have looked longingly at DTV and Tivo, but I like my grandfathered distant nets with Dish.

Anyway, I have wondered about perhaps getting a 721 to replace my DP 7200. I have read many glowing reviews on this forum about the 721, and just when I start to get serious about a 721, up pops a comment from someone who is unhappy with their 721. So now I'm once again confused about what to do: stay with my annoying DP, go over to the dark side (DTV), or get a 721.

Any and all advice and suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,
Richard

I'd definitely go for the 721. From what i've seen and read i'd take the 721 any day over a tivo, but it really does come down to what you want to do with it. Personally I love scrolling to the guide and finding shows to record. I always find something interesting and setting it to record. Here are the major differences between the two:

Tivo:
Name-based recording
More stable
Automaticly records shows it'll think you like
Season Pass
Wishlist
User Upgradable

721:
Picture in Picture
Super fast guide
Picture in guide
Caller ID
UHF remote control
More recording time

The 721 will be getting name-based recording and Season Pass sometime this summer, but until it does that's Tivo's major advantage over the 721. Like I said, personally I prefer the 721, but depending on your needs it may be different for you. Let us know your decision. And yes, add me to list of just recently getting the 721 and loving it. It really is a great receiver.

I will say one thing about Dish customers, the are very loyal! I have both D* and E* here and I can honestly say I would not go the Dish network route, been there done that, was let down, paid through the nose....... DirecTV will be waiting for you when ever you get round to it, it may even be an idea to stay with Dish until the NEW DirecTV systems hit the stores, some dealers/retailer promise to upgrade you for free if/when any new technology is released, but I would read the small print, any other advice folks? Any Dish customers who can give Spencercat any hope?

D'oh! WRONG an Independent satellite installer, installing ALL kinds of satellite systems, a LICENSED "Technology Systems Contractor/Power Limited Technician" MN. That stated he has both systems right here, that also said maybe he should wait! Thats what forums are for, and thats what this member asked for, next time before I say anything I will run it by you to see if its going to make you feel bad, I am going to go offline now as I am really upset.....

I'm a very loyal Dish person about 7 years now.

I've had the 4000 series and the 2000 series but ...

I've had the 7200 when it first came out.
Way cool changed the way I thought about tv.
Did the upgrade, and thought more way cool!
then the bugs killed the joy for me.

Then went to the 501 ...
loved it! the extra space was way cool
The ui was a let down
it was very stable
Missed name based recording

Then I went to the 721
LOVED it!
Extra space is used loved and needed
Two tuners is LOVED used and needed
The UI is great!
I HATE missing shows because of time changes.
I missed two sapranos and 1 deadwood recently .... argh!
But still 90% love 721.

If you are a Dish user. Get the 721! period! You will love it!

I am very envious of TIVO users.
The dark side calls ... (insert spooky noise)
I am very very envious of HD TIVO users
The dark side calls ... (insert louder spooky noise!!)

I am now on the fence. 60% leaning toward the dark side.

If you want stability go to Directv after 9 months with TiVo I can't go back to DISH. If you can continue to live with the constant software updates trying to make the product work go with the 721. It "works" to day will it after tomorrows software update?

I dumped the TiVo for Dish. Forget the goofy interface and childish sounds...I find other things more impressive.

Dish Network offered me an excellent deal with excellent equipment. The only think I liked about the TiVo vs. PVR 508 was the dual tuners. Well, the 721 and 522 have that. I'm now back with Dish and loving the new products!

see the other 7200 vs 721 thread for my opinion. Basically I love my 721
and also have 2 501's.

Can't wait for Name-Based recording, but aside from that, I love it.

LER

PSB said:
I will say one thing about Dish customers, the are very loyal! I have both D* and E* here and I can honestly say I would not go the Dish network route, been there done that, was let down, paid through the nose....... DirecTV will be waiting for you when ever you get round to it, it may even be an idea to stay with Dish until the NEW DirecTV systems hit the stores, some dealers/retailer promise to upgrade you for free if/when any new technology is released, but I would read the small print, any other advice folks? Any Dish customers who can give Spencercat any hope?

People forget that the solution for one person is not the same as for a different person. In this case he is grandfathered for distants (he says in his post, the first one on this thread).

In this case Dish is best for him because he can get the programming he wants and DIRECTV cannot provide it! What good would a flashy TiVo do him if all he can record is shows he does not want to watch.

You will love the 721 until the tuner or hard drive fails on you (I know that they had a second tuner failure issue a while back, not sure if they have finally fixed that problem or not). Also the software issues will drive you nuts if you are the unlucky one to experience it but some do not have as many problems as others. I have had a 721 for two years now. I had a second tuner failure with it (was common in the 50x series as well with its one tuner) and now experiencing some of what seems the worst software issues I have ever experienced with it. I had no problems with it for several months, perhaps a year since I received it as a replacement, and it is not the refurbished replacement either, they replaced mine with a brand new one when the last one failed. If you was lucky enough to get the $1.99 warranty then it would not be as bad to have one in case it fails but the new warranty at $5.99 seems to be a bit steeper where in a period of about 2 or 3 years you could buy another DVR for what the warranty costs or replace a component in about a year or more such as the dish or receiver such as 301/311.

I have had a 721 for almost 2 years now and haven't had any problems. My main gripe is the lack of name-based recording. But aside from that, it has been solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts