Need advice on adding another reciever

Firescooby

Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
I currently have 2 Dish Network receivers. I've had service for about 2 years and added a DVR unit about a year ago.

I need to add another receiver for my daughters room. I would like to purchase the equipment off ebay or the like and do it myself.

What I need to know is what equipment do I need? I remember the tech saying something about the LNB thing was setup for only two receivers currently. If I buy a new LNB, what should I look for? Also, if I buy another receiver, what should I look for? What about the card for programming?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hit the menu button on your remote and then hit 6 - 1 - 1. Go to check switch screen and it will tell you what lnbs and switchs you have. Let us know what it says, that way we can tell you what you will need.

BrettTRay said:
Hit the menu button on your remote and then hit 6 - 1 - 1. Go to check switch screen and it will tell you what lnbs and switchs you have. Let us know what it says, that way we can tell you what you will need.

It says: Installed Switch: 500 Twin

Has Input 1 1 2 2
Polarity odd even odd even

We'd also need to know which model receivers you have to know their compatibility with certain LNBs

Ok, you're tech was correct in saying your LNB only supports 2 receivers. You have two options:

Replace your LNB with a DishPro Twin and purchase a DishPro 34 Switch (DP34). The switch allows you to connect up to 3 satellite inputs and up to 4 room outputs.

2nd Option: Replace your LNB with a DishPro Quad or Legacy Quad. These both have 4 outputs and can feed up to four rooms directly.

In terms of a receiver, if you was a standard receiver you should just look for a 301. All the receivers should have a smart card already installed. Just make sure the seller states that the receiver has no outstanding balance.

AndyOI said:
Ok, you're tech was correct in saying your LNB only supports 2 receivers. You have two options:
Replace your LNB with a DishPro Twin and purchase a DishPro 34 Switch (DP34). The switch allows you to connect up to 3 satellite inputs and up to 4 room outputs.
2nd Option: Replace your LNB with a DishPro Quad or Legacy Quad. These both have 4 outputs and can feed up to four rooms directly.
In terms of a receiver, if you was a standard receiver you should just look for a 301. All the receivers should have a smart card already installed. Just make sure the seller states that the receiver has no outstanding balance.

Thanks a TOn guys!!!

One more question, my Mom has a device that allows another TV to have a satellite signal. It is shaped like a pyramid and is an IR transmitter. The TV with the rcvr and the additional TV is on the same channel, which is fine, but you can change the channel from the TV without the rcvr also. Anyone know where I can find it? She got hers from Radio Shack about 4 years ago, and they no longer carry them.

That just sounds like a IR remote repeater.

If you use a UHF 501 remote, or get a UHF upgrade kit for the 301, it'll do the same thing.

goaliebob99 said:
Also if you order from ebay make sure you get the r00 and the s00 numbers from the receiver and call dish up prior to bidding to make sure that they don't have a previous balance on them :)

Yes if you get off ebay or anywhere else make sure you do what bob said above.:up

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts