Superstations in HD??

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Okay, so what happens when an individual Superstation goes to HD? Will those of us who have the Superstation package also be able to view it in HD? For example, will KTLA go HD on Dish with the rest of LA LIL next month?

My guess is as long as there's a SD feed available, that's what Dish will provide.

When these stations start dropping their analog channels and provide ONLY an HD feed, I suppose Dish will be forced to negoiate with each station but I seriously doubt that Dish will be allowed to just receive and pass on any HD feed without paying (and charging) a premium.

I suspect that offering the Superstations in HD is a low priority for E*, at least for now. There is a lot of competition to use those precious few transponders that E* has available for HD.

Tom Bombadil said:
I suspect that offering the Superstations in HD is a low priority for E*, at least for now. There is a lot of competition to use those precious few transponders that E* has available for HD.

My question is when Dish says they are bringing HD LILs on line for an area (like LA or Chicago), are they just talking ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox--or are they saying the other HD locals also in that same area at the same time? Is there any kind of "must carry rule" associated with digital/HD LILs?

Last edited:
I dropped the Superstations package when I renewed in the summer since I was paying for Voom originals. If Dish came out with the Supers in HD, I'd pick them up again.

rdinkel said:
My question is when Dish says they are bringing HD LILs on line for an area (like LA or Chicago), are they just talking ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox--or are they saying the other HD locals also in that same area at the same time? Is there any kind of "must carry rule" associated with digital/HD LILs?
Sorry, Bob - no such thing as "must-carry" for HD. At least not yet, and not likely for a long time.

They can bring as many or as few only as they think best. :cool:

BTW, you ready to move to Park County? There's a real nice address right next to where I'm probably going to move to. :D

rdinkel said:

What a waste that would be in Los Angeles if they had to carry all 22 digital channels currently available! Most of them never even show anything in HD and instead choose to do multicasting. If digital must-carry does happen I hope it is for the primary channel only, with any sub-channels being optional.

My WB does HD, I'm sure they will push for must carry of hd. The few other digital non hd stations I get are already on sat in SD. It sounds like most PBS stations just directly air PBS-HD, maybe they could get away with a national version of that channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts