Need advice on new HD DVR receivers.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GoWireless

Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Tupelo,MS
I had my HD DVR installed today; when the installer unboxed the receivers I noticed they were HR-20’s. I asked him about the HR-20’s and that on the DTV site it advertized black receivers. I can care less about the color of the receiver, but I would like the latest in tech from DirecTV. Would I benefit from a HR-21, 22, or 23? If so I will call CS and ask for one of these models, if not I will enjoy my HR-20. Thanks for the advice.

What it all comes down to is what the installer has avail. This is why when you talk to a DTV CSR they will never tell you a particular model you're going to get because they are not going to know what the installer they send to you has in their warehouse.

what sunfire said is accurate. besides there isn't that much of a difference between these models so i wouldn't worry about it. wait until something that's actually different from previous models comes out. so far only color and larger hard drives have been the biggest differences. oh and your HR20 was the last model with ota tuners built in.

What is more scary, is that it is a Refurbished HR-20, rather than a New HR-22/HR23.

I would get the Protection Plan for when that POS dies.

Also, you have a smaller Hard Drive than you would with a Newer HD-DVR.

What is more scary, is that it is a Refurbished HR-20, rather than a New HR-22/HR23.

Not Scary at all.
I have a Refurbed unit and it has worked flawlessly for several years now.

That generation had a 300 or 320 gb hard drive in it.
The new HR 21,22, 23's had about the same ....
One of them, possibly the 23's was rumored to have a 500GB HD in them, but I never verified if that happened.
If you need more HD space you can always add a External HD adding as much space as you want, make sure you get one that handles ESATA though.

Check the boards before buying so you can get an idea of what works well ahead of time.

I would not worry about it dying any more than I would a new one.
I have one HR-20 that was new when I got it, and one refurb that was a replacement for the H_20 that I had in the bedroom. Both have been trouble free for 2 years now.

I think Jimbo was right on the HD size. If I am not mistaken it is 320 gb. I am pretty sure that the 23 has the 500 gb HD, and possibly the 22?

Point is, you are missing out on nothing by having the HR-20 vs the newer models. And you have internal OTA to boot

This is the second report of HR-20s being installed in a few days though.
Must be more getting back into the system?

That is GREAT news, IF I ever have problems, I HOPE to get one of them instead of the newer ones.

So slightly off topic! I notice that the HR-20 comes with an OTA tuner built in. Can you also record from this like you can on the Dish network VIP 622/722? If so I think this was one of my last road blocks stopping me from moving to Direct TV!

So slightly off topic! I notice that the HR-20 comes with an OTA tuner built in. Can you also record from this like you can on the Dish network VIP 622/722? If so I think this was one of my last road blocks stopping me from moving to Direct TV!
yes you can also record ota.

yes you can also record ota.

That was a HUGE reason many that use OTA like the HR20's, the next generation D* decided to save .05 cents per unit and NOT put OTA tuners in them. The price quote is an exaggeration as I never have heard how much the tuners were, but couldn't be too much.

Those that don't have OTA antennas don't care about the tuner and it gave D* an oppertunity to push THIER sat delivered locals, for an addl price of course.
Once people complained enough D* came out with the AM - 21 OTA tuner for an addl. $ 50.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts