Need advice on over the Air antenna with 622

Beckhamfam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Floyds Knobs IN
Just bought a Wineguard HD9095P (top of the line) and hooked it up to the correct input on the 622. I live about 3 miles form the HD towers but I live in the woods, so the signal bounces around off the trees. Most of the signal readings are in the 70s. I lose the signal often and get pixulation. I think if I put a digital amp on the line it would help. How strong of an amp does anyone suggest, 8, 15, 30 DB? Any suggestions besides cutting a 100 trees? Thanks in advance.

I'm using that antenna without an amp. Found out after going through two amps this antenna works best without one. I'm pointed at two large pecan trees also.

If you are going to try an amp get a varable gain version.

Another thought is, you might have too much antenna for the distance you are from the transmitters. You can also over drive a HD signal and cause the problems you are seeing. Try a cheap set of rabbit ears to see what happens.

Damn, that looks exactly like my $24 Radio Shack U75R.... At 3 miles away, I also think that's too much antenna. If you got signal strengths in the 90+ range and a solid picture, there would be no questions... At your distance, with that much antenna, your signal level in the 70s might be the clue ... as gdarwin alludes to. Try a smaller antenna first.

Remember, amplifiers aren't "smart". They're dumb, passive devices that amplify everything. That includes good signal and bad signal.

If the trees were not there he could see the antennas.... Most of the Louisville stations antennas are located at the Knobs.

I noticed "gdarwin" you are in Louisville, I'm up in the Knobs, I can see the red light on top of channel 11's tower from my house. I'll try a smaller anntena first. I've always had problems with the signal bouncing off trees which gave me a double picture before digital. I'm surpised I'm only getting a signal in the 70's. I'll keep you posted.

The answer is (drum row please) the rabbit ears works great. Got strong signals on all channesl except 58 but everything is good. Any body want to buy a Wineguard ant.? Thanks for your suggestions.