Need advice on Raid 1 (Mirror) Setup

One final update for now. Everything is working fine, I am transferring new stuff over at night when we hit the rack and we are watching all DVR shows off the HDD. Working great.

to be safe, I just recorded a coupe of quick things and moved them over. Powered down, pulled drive 1 and powered back up. Red drive light came on for a fault, but the hopper saw the programs properly. Put drive 1 back in and repeated the process (powering down each time) and drive 2 showed a fault but the Hopper read properly off drive 1. Mirroring is working.

Hello gadget freak…

I found this 2016 posting of yours and it sounds like everything worked OK

now two years into the future do you still say the same thing

if it’s not too much trouble sir please read what I typed earlier today

and tell me if you can offer any advice

thank you so much

Does RAID 1 actually WORK for Hopper 3 as a dependable and usable backup in case 1 of the RAID 1 drives fails?

I have a Dish Network Hopper 3

If 1 of the 2 drives in the external RAID 1 fails

And then you plug the other good drive directly into the hopper 3, doesn’t the Hopper 3 just automatically ERASE it and reformat it?

Therefore you will NOT have your usable back up.

And you’ve just LOST ALL of your recordings?

I really Really REALLY want to have my Hopper 3 recording’s backed up somehow!!!

I’m thinking about buying a 4 TB Western Digital My Book Duo

I was hoping that if I hook it up as a RAID 1 it will provide me with the dependable and usable BACK UP that I want so badly.

BUT will this back up be USABLE when 1 drive fails?

Or will it just get ERASED and reformatted when plugged back into the Hopper 3?

Please help me… I really need someone’s help… I’m pretty smart… But I’m no expert

I am aware of the option of a RAID 1 hooked up independently into a customizable external hard drive enclosure

As opposed to buying the factory made encased Western Digital 4TB My Book Duo.

But either way DOES this work?

Will this work for me?

I need 100% assurance that my Hopper 3 recordings are backed up and fully recoverable, dependable and usable!!!

If 1 of the RAID 1 drives fail and I go to the other good drive to recover my recordings

Will it just get ERASED and reformatted by the Hopper 3?

Is it EVEN POSSIBLE to back up Hopper 3 recordIngs?

Has anyone ever done this successfully?

After 1 of the hard drive fails in a RAID 1

I don’t care how I back up the Hopper 3 recordings.

I just want the recordings backed up somehow.

It doesn’t have to be RAID 1 or whatever.

please Please PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thank You!!!

Mr. Deeper

H3 sees Raid 1 as a single drive, the Raid 1 hardware itself keeps both drives identical. In the case that one drive in the Raid fails and is replaced, the Raid hardware clones the good drive onto the new one - the definition of RAID1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)