need advice on subwoofer amp

Ok 2 more questions.

1. do I still need a crossover if I am using the sub preout? I thought low bass was turned off to all the other speakers when using the preout and only distributed to that port. Does it still pick up some mid's and high's?

2. The only crossovers I can find are for car speakers or for putting in a box. Any advice?

1. No, and not as far as I know.

2. Do you have more specs on your speakers? Your sub probably has a built-in crossover and I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't already amplified.

most subwoofer outputs on common receivers are full range and rely on the low pass filter built into most subwoofers. The state of art is generally a powered subwoofer these days.

The auto crossover should work fine, as a crossover is a crossover. It is basically a low pass filter, with series inductance and parallel capacitance, either with passive components or active simulation through op amps. I would probably use a passive design with an 80 Hz fixed cutoff.

I would also shop around for a used amp. You can find real bargains with stuff like integrated amps where one channel is blown. A lot cheaper than the BB junk you are looking at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)