Need Advice On Switching Provider

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billinmidmich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you please advise me: I want to switch to DISH. I have DIRECTV. I got the newer mpg4 HD receiver just before the rebate offer ended. So i know I have over a year yet, on a two year commitment. If equipment is returned would I still have to pay a penalty charge? Also when I went to DIRECTV, I switched from DISH. Probably been about a year and a half now. What would they charge to go back? Hope someone has the answers and advice for this......thanks.

billinmidmich said:
Can you please advise me: I want to switch to DISH. I have DIRECTV. I got the newer mpg4 HD receiver just before the rebate offer ended. So i know I have over a year yet, on a two year commitment. If equipment is returned would I still have to pay a penalty charge? Also when I went to DIRECTV, I switched from DISH. Probably been about a year and a half now. What would they charge to go back? Hope someone has the answers and advice for this......thanks.

Maybe you could, hmmm, oh, I don't know....call D* and E* and ask them?

billinmidmich said:

Call E* first, see if they will cover your commitment costs to get you back.

Called DISH

Well I called DISH and the guy I could hardly understand, said it would cost $249.00 for HD reciever and $149.00 for regular reciever for bedroom. Must be something better out there somwhere.

billinmidmich said:
Well I called DISH and the guy I could hardly understand, said it would cost $249.00 for HD reciever and $149.00 for regular reciever for bedroom. Must be something better out there somwhere.

Don't expect D* to give you a break so you can swith.

IF they really want you back, then E* would help you out of your predicament. Who do you think will give you a better deal than E*?

There is a consensus that when calling E* you should use the tech support option to get someone stateside that will likely be better able to help you out. Explain what equipment and service you want and say you're looking for incentives to come back to E*. If you don't like the first answer, call in again...

Taken care of

I got a DISH setup coming for Saturday. No equipment to buy. Now just to be able to return equipment back to Direct and not get dinged a lot. Got tired of waiting for HD content. Had VOOM before they shut down(Dish when I went to VOOM) and enjoyed it. Nobody matches VOOM quality even on the SD, except for the Cband when I was using it(but they have screwed that up too). Thought DIRECT was going to pick up VOOM when they offered that rebate to former VOOM subs. Then with all their hype about the mpeg4 I thought that it was going to get better. Well i'm 63 and want to enjoy my DLP HD tv before I die. Sure looks like DISH has more to offer. Directv's quality needs improvement also. I have high numbers on the signal but still get pixellation on HD and when I had Dish before.....I think the picture was better and I didn't even have the DLP then. I noticed a difference in picture quality when I got the DLP.....even had a Toshiba before.... "got a Samsung now".

Cancel your credit card that Direct has on file........new account under wifes name, credit catd and cell phone with address to include 1/2 with Dish.... could'nt be easier.

Done it

Thanks wobbie......the fellow I am dealing through did exactly that. Except we do not have a cell phone. Can't figure why I need one of those. Could not hook up to internet with the cell. Get my long distance through Zoneld....no monthly charge and $04.5 a minute. Do not need caller ID....go through answering machine.....if they do not say who they are....we do not pick up. Do not use long distance much anyway.

I was about eight months into a two year commitment when I dropped D* for E*. They charged me $40 for "receiver recovery" (basically shipping costs). They sent me Fed-ex boxes to send my H20 and Tivo receivers back to them. Well worth it to me.

billinmidmich, I'm with ya man! Just today I ordered Dish (VIP622 with HD Gold package), and once it arrives, I'm cancelling D* and never looking back. I've had my 50" DLP television for a year and a half now, and it's been BEGGING for HD! I'm tired of screwing arround with a UHF antenna for my locals in HD, and suffering with D*'s lousy SDTV. While D* does offer HD, I never felt D*'s HD offerings were worth the upgrade. Their new DVRs suck, and the MPEG4 model isn't even out yet. Doesn't sound like they are going to get their act together anytime soon. And quite frankly, the 622 sounds like an amazing piece of equipment.

So if anyone wants to reach me in the future, I'll be on the E* forum!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts