Need Advice - Time to Switch to Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
I'm currently a DirecTV customer and am thinking of switching to Dish. I need your encouragement, advice, and most importantly, tips for convincing the wife! Here's our story...

We have a 50" DLP that is begging for good HD content! We have been on D* for several years, using a standard def TiVo. My Wife is VERY used to the Tivo interface and loves it. She also cannot tell the difference between standard and high def. She simply doesn't care about high def... she only cares what shows are on. Go figure...

However, here's my argument for switching to Dish. First, D* is dumping the Tivo anyway, so eventually we'll HAVE to give it up. Second, although Comcast is rolling out the Tivo, they have a number of service quality issues too, including particularly limited bandwidth in the Sacramento area. As for Dish, the Vip622 sounds terrific! It may not have the Tivo interface, but most of the reviews I've read says it's just as good. Plus it records high def, has a nice big hard drive, and can connect to a second remote TV (our bedroom). That last feature perked her up, but I have to push the issue more to get her to agree. She will not like these sacrifices:

> having to learn the new interface
> losing Tivo suggestions (the automatically recorded programs)
> trading XM for Sirius radio (though I will tell her they are basically the same)

We are not into sports too much, so D*'s superiority in that area is not a big seller for us. We want maximum high def locals, nationals, and good selection overall. Sounds like Dish has D* beat by a mile. Am I right? Help me out!

My wife was also used to the Tivo but has adapted well to E*'s 622. I just had to show her a couple of times. She also thinks that it's nice not having a receiver in our bedroom, using the 622 for both of our TVs. Regarding XM and Sirius, I actually prefer Sirius but that's just my opinion. I switched from D* to E* a couple of weeks ago and have been very pleased. Good luck.

Well I ended up keep both really due to the large investment in receivers and the possibility that there might be a free up-grade to their new MPEG4 DVR (Directv). As you know this has not happened as fast as was projected. Anyway my Wife loves HD and and DISH has 29 channels and we receive all of our Locals OTA in HD too. I'm a past VOOMER and we still like and enjoy much of the Voom programing on DISH. The DISH VIP 622 HD DVR in many ways beat the Tivo DirecTV HD DVR which I use too. Changes are sometimes good and in this case you should change to DISH and enjoy your investment in HD, NOW.

PS your Wife will be glad you did too, except it may take longer for her to know it.

Why not do both for a short time? I believe E* has a 30-day trial period (you'll need to confirm - try their website at http://www.dishnetwork.com/) You can test drive E* then make your decision. The 622 is a great receiver but I never owned a TiVo so I can't make a comparision for you...

We still havea Tivo at our place, but I'm probably going to get rid of at least one of them, we barely use them anymore. The 622 runs well at our place. I get to record tons of stuff and I've setup recording based on partial title as well as specific shows, some all new and some with older content as well.

I only miss a few features of Tivo, namely the ability to play music from the computer (with all the music stations we don't miss it) the ability to transfer the shows to our PSP (which we haven't used it much). And transfering shows between recievers (which I still miss, but the 2nd tv broadcast makes up for it).

The only thing Dish needs to do is make the 2nd TV out boardcast in digital (which includes HD) then I would praise them beyond belief. :)

EDIT: Oh I'm guessing you didn't have the series 2 which has most of those features. The series 1 features are pretty much all incorporated.

redman042 said:
I'm currently a DirecTV customer and am thinking of switching to Dish. I need your encouragement, advice, and most importantly, tips for convincing the wife! Here's our story...

All American Dish will give you $50 to switch from DTV to DISH on top of Dish's offers. You can check it out at www.DirectToDish.com or call 1-877-444-4388 (the number posted on their web site).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts