need complicated set up help

Jared Twomey

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2005
Tacoma, WA
sorry, went out of town for the weekend... just got home from work, and getting ready to go to a memorial for my great aunt that passed away last week.
When I get home, i'll get right on that

aegrotatio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 23, 2006
A Public Bathroom
If you absolutely cannot run two dual RG6 cables to each location you're just going to have to put everything in a closet in your basement where the RG6 cable is and use at least one of these devices:
Channel Plus Multi-Room Video Distribution System

This device supports sending remote control signals over the coaxial cable. It's ideal for single coaxial runs. Just buy an IR target for each location and emitters for the closet where all your equipment is located.

You can use the existing TV2 outputs of the DiSH Network receivers to feed the cable and the video input of this device to put your FTA receivers on the other channels.
You can support a total of 2 DiSH Network receivers and 2 FTA receivers with this device and the IR targets.
Smarthome has another device that supports more channels but this one is a good starting point because it has integrated support for sending remote control commands over the coaxial cable to drive your FTA receivers.

Stil, even if the walls are finished it is only a little more work to fish the cables and patch the holes unless you have some fancy eggshell paint that won't go on in patches.

And there is plenty of FTA to receive, from background music services and ethnic programming. Please stop persecuting people whenever FTA is mentioned.

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
Although it has some advantages, I don't think that "Channel + Multi Room VDS" is going to do him any good. However, I agree with you, more cables will be needed one way or another.

It sounds like each room (viewing location) has one cable going to the laundry room. As you stated, hopefully he can put a second cable run between each viewing location and the laundry room, and a third cable run where ever an FTA will be at. If not, I think it is still possible to get most of what he wants without installing an elaborate head-end system.

However, at a minimum he will need 3 cable runs between the laundry room and the 2 dishes (119/110 dish & 61.5 dish), which will need to be mounted where they have a view of the SE thru WSW/SW sky. Might as well have 4 cables.

In the laundry room, the 3 or 4 Dish satellite inputs will need to feed a DPP44 Switch. Receiver Port 1 will need the Power Inserter connected directly to it. then the DPP44 Receiver Ports 1, 2, and 3 can feed 3 rooms with an HDTV with a locally installed ViP622 or ViP722.

That takes care of 3 rooms. Then with 2 diplexers on each of these 3 cables, you can get the ViP622/722 stereo modulated outputs back to the wash room.

Now you have 2 choices: (1) you can either take both outputs of all 3 receivers (6 channels of high quality video) and send it to the other 3 locations, or (2) send the 2 channel outputs of each ViP to a single location.

The above will allow 6 rooms to each independently control and view a satellite channel from a Dish receiver tuner. The 3 HDTV will each have an IR remote to control the local receiver, while the other 3 SDTV will each have an included 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remote to control the distant receiver/tuner.

Since there is only one cable going to each viewing location, you can only feed 1 satellite receiver at a time. However, the 3 locations that are receiving the TV2 Output without a local receiver, could have an FTA receiver installed to receive some music channels and NASA which may already be included in the regular paid programming, and possibly some religious programming.

Since 1 receiver port is vacant, you could take 2 more diplexers and feed the DPP44 Receiver Port 4 to one of the 3 rooms without a ViP622/722. If you get a DP34 and bridge it to the DPP44, you will have 4 more open receiver ports and then should be able to feed the other 2 receiverless rooms with a FTA receiver.

You can set the ViP622/722 to modulate TV2 only or TV1 and TV2. If you do both, you will need 6 channels with a channel in between; plus you do not want these channels to be too close to the many local UHF channels you have.

This is where it is going to get complicated. For your local channels, you will need to get some splitters so that you can feed/combine an OTA antenna signals into those diplexed signals. With the antenna, you are going to have to use some attenuators (supplied with the ViP622) to keep from broadcasting your satellite receivers outputs. You will also have to try and balance your signals, ensure they are strong enough, and maybe use an amp.

The last paragraph is more than I want to think about tonight, but maybe birddoggy will have an idea or two when things quite down.

If that all works, then the security system can feed a single channel RF Modulator using a channel not currently in use by the above, and be feed/combined into the diplexed signals.

Considerations:
- All of your cables should be good quality RG-6 rated at a minimum of 950MHz - 2150 MHz.
- FTA receivers that support DiSEqC commands will probably work, but will be limited on what they receive.

EDIT:
You will also need another RG6 cable from the OTA outside antenna to the laundry room.
So you should go ahead and try to get 5 RG6 cables from outside, to the laundry room; 4 for future satellite, and 1 for OTA antenna.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
And there is plenty of FTA to receive, from background music services and ethnic programming. Please stop persecuting people whenever FTA is mentioned.

Um, obviously you need to hang around the FTA area a little more. I think I know what can be received on FTA LEGALLY and since the OP said in his original post

I will have dish come out and install new dishes at my house for satellites 110, 119, and 61.5

my guess is that they will use only the latest equipment. I plan on using a couple fta receivers as well.
All I said was

i assume you will have a dish for that? And you would need a separate line for the fta setup
and
not much free on the dish sats...nasa & angel one and a couple preview channels

so please find where I am persecuting him? And last I checked which was about 5 minutes ago after I rescanned 119 to get the christmas music channel there are NO ethnic channels free on 110,119 & 61.5
61.5 has a slate that says "you're aimed at 61.5" and a copy of Dish 101
110 has a couple preview channels and the DVR promo thingy (that downloads to DVR's)
119 has Dish 101, NASA, Angel One, a couple PPV preview slates, the Distant Network slates (240 & 250) and the CD/Mono audio channels

Unless he gets a 30" or larger dish and a KU Band LNB and runs a separate line from the roof to the FTA box (and the fact he hasn't commented on the posts that have said what he can get with those dishes) we have to ask the questions.

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
You're da man iceberg. :)

I didn't even think there was as much as you say, but decided not to respond to the persecution statement; even though it seemed to be harsh on us.:rolleyes:

Not knowing how much the OP knows about installing Dish Network systems, FTA systems and their capabilities, and/or Over-the-Air television reception, I think we did our best in giving him knowledge that may help him in starting or doing something that later turns out not to be what he expected; and without accusing him of doing anything wrong.

Thanks for responding.
SW

EDIT:

More considerations would also include:
- Dish may elect to install a Dish 1000.2, which will eliminate the DPP44 switch and will support 3 ViP dual tuner receivers.
- Normally there is a 200' LNBF to Receiver cable limitation, (maybe 250 foot).

Last edited:

Jared Twomey

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Ok... here is my little sketch i drew up based on what you say you want. If it where me, this is how I would do it. It would cost a little more upfront, but it would give you the option to watch pretty much every reciever in every room, just by changing the channel on the tv.

I also decided to put the hd receiver in the central room as well, just because of the problem of trying to diplex the tv2 side and the ota signal at the same time, using only one coax. So to compensate for that, i would use converters to run component and digital audio, over cat5 or 6. Then you will still have the rg6 for the other reciever/security/ota feed. All dish receivers could be run off of uhf remotes, and the fta boxes you could either get equipment to extend the ir, or something to convert the ir to uhf.

Also, you could drop one of the modulators if you only had 2 dish boxes, and maybe only one fta.

So basically, this is how I would do it... but this drawing could change depending on how many, and which reciever models you actually end up going with.

Or, the best bet, suck it up now and run some more coax. At least 5 outside for the dish network and ota, and a couple if you plan on using real fta, and not hacked receivers to pick up dish. Then 2 rg6 to each room.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2018/2072446597_fefc9bebb6.jpg?v=0

chutio13

Nov 21, 2007
birddoggy, thank you for your insight and help. Here is what I was thinking.... please let me know if this could work.

1) get a 5x8 switch that works for dishntwrk
2) use a amplified 2x6 or 2x8 splitter for the ota and camera dvr
3) use diplexers, one feed from sat and one feed from splitter, to send all signals on one cable to the location, repeated for each location
4) use the same diplexers to seperate the signals at the locations, on feed goes into the receiver, the other goes into tv

Will this work?

aegrotatio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 23, 2006
A Public Bathroom
I'm extensively familiar with FTA and what is available.
I merely did not notice he said he wasn't using another dish to view actual FTA programming.

But my comment on persecuting FTA users still stands.
I am not going to start a flame war where I quote all the threads with posts from you and others that sarcasticly imply the OP is trying to steal service.
Even in this thread, it wasn't specifically stated he was trying to steal service, yet we get another implication from the peanut gallery that the OP is stealing service.
Just cut it out and let's talk about solutions and not publically guessing the OP's intentions.

chutio13

Nov 21, 2007
I do plan on using another dish for the fta receivers, but that was going to to looped in with existing sats. sorry if this has become an issue for some. I would just like some help with the wiring. your help is much appreciated.

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm extensively familiar with FTA and what is available.
I merely did not notice he said he wasn't using another dish to view actual FTA programming.

But my comment on persecuting FTA users still stands.
I am not going to start a flame war where I quote all the threads with posts from you and others that sarcasticly imply the OP is trying to steal service.
Even in this thread, it wasn't specifically stated he was trying to steal service, yet we get another implication from the peanut gallery that the OP is stealing service.
Just cut it out and let's talk about solutions and not publically guessing the OP's intentions.
You still don't get it!

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
birddoggy, thank you for your insight and help. Here is what I was thinking.... please let me know if this could work.

1) get a 5x8 switch that works for dishntwrk
2) use a amplified 2x6 or 2x8 splitter for the ota and camera dvr
3) use diplexers, one feed from sat and one feed from splitter, to send all signals on one cable to the location, repeated for each location
4) use the same diplexers to seperate the signals at the locations, on feed goes into the receiver, the other goes into tv

Will this work?
The first Dish receivers and LNBF use legacy technology where an LNBF will send the Vertical/Right Polarity signals when one voltage is received, and then will send the Horizontal/Left Polarity signals when another voltage is received. However, the LNBF can only send one polarity at a time since they use the same frequencies between the LNBF and the Receiver.

Newer Dish Networks' LNBF and Receivers uses DishPro technology which uses "band stacking" where it can send both the Vertical/Right Polarity and the Horizontal/Left Polarity signals down the same line at the same time; which will allow you to have all of the transponders, and therefore, all of the channels at the same time, and on all of the receivers at the same time.

Basically, the DP34 is a DishPro 3x4 Switch. The 3 DishPro LNBF can send 6 sets of signals to the switch at one time, 3 Right Polarities and 3 Left Polarities. Then the DP34 can supply the correct signals to up to 4 tuners, and 12 tuners when 3 are bridged together. However, a dual tuner receiver will need 2 cables from the DP34, one for each tuner.

DishPro Plus technology is basically the same, except you do not need 2 cables to feed a dual tuner receiver. Of course this depends on you using a DishPro Plus Separator on the DishPro Plus (dual tuner) Receiver, and you must be using either a DishPro Plus Switch (DPP44) or a DishPro Plus LNBF (DPP Twin LNBF). When using a DPP Switch (DPP44), you can use either DishPro or DishPro Plus LNBF, but it is cheaper to use the DP LNBF.

I don't think there are any non-Dish Network switches that support band stacking. But more important, if you go with anything other than DishPro Plus technology, you will need 2 cables to each of your receivers, and you will need to replace your DishPro LNBF with Legacy Dual LNBF and then you will need two cables from each LNBF into a Legacy switch, such as a 6 x 8.

I do plan on using another dish for the fta receivers, but that was going to to looped in with existing sats. sorry if this has become an issue for some. I would just like some help with the wiring. your help is much appreciated.
The DishPro Plus 44 Switch will not work with other LNBF, only DP & DPP LNBF. So you will need additional wiring to feed an FTA LNBF/Dish to an FTA receiver; i.e., you can not feed it through the DPP44 and/or DP34.

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
So, to answer your question.
Will this work?
I do not know of a 5 x 8 Dish compatible switch. I also think a 5 x 8 switch is 4 sat inputs and 1 OTA input, and each sat needs two inputs. So you could have 119R & 119L polarities, and 110R & 110L polarities, you you still need to get two more sat inputs (61.5R & 61.5L). But again, I'm not familiar with all of the FTA switches.

I think your suggestion on (3) and (4) is pretty much what I said before birddoggy supplied his drawing.

I think Birddoggy's suggestion is the way to go. However, it looks like you will need to purchase 3 additional 6.3 IR/UHF PRO Remotes to control the 3 TV1 Outputs from a remote location. And if you have a 2nd or 3rd HDTV, then you will need to feed those TV's like you feed the main room HDTV. Hopefully when using the cat5 cable for TV, you will not need it for anything else.

Good luck.

SmityWhity

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 8, 2006
Denver, CO
how about using 2 of these switches: JVI 35-DN34 35DN34 DP34 DISHPRO switch Dish Network SuperDish

I would take the ota and camera dvr signals and use a combiner 2x1 and run the wire into the fourth input of the switch above. from there I would tie each output to a room, and use a diplexer to split the sat signal from the ota/camera dvr at the receiver.
I didn't see much specs on the JVI 35-DN34 Switch, but looks like; it is equivalent to the DP34, except it also has an OTA antenna input.

I don't know if you could bridge it with a DP34 and/or a DPP44, but you should be able to bridge two of those together which will give you 8 receiver ports, and no extra ports.
- 3 Dual Tuner Dish Receivers will use up 6 of the ports.
- 2 FTA Single Tuner Receivers will use up 2 of the ports.

In theory, combining the OTA and a modulated signal from the Security System into the Antenna Input should work.

I guess you would need diplexers at each of your receivers to break out the OTA signals.

Sounds like you are going to do the installation, vice having Dish arrange for the setup/installation of dishes and a switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts