Need computer backup advice

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have a HP Media Center Desktop computer that I've had for about a 1-1/2 years now. The computer has always worked flawlessly until Sunday night. I could not get it to log into windows at all. It kept telling me there was an error or problem. So I took it to my local computer repair shop yesterday. He called me back today and said that my operating system (vista) was corrupt for some reason. He said he could back up any files I needed (pictures, Itunes, etc.), but he would need to wipe the computer clean and reinstall Vista. After that it would be a basic install of Vista along with my files I needed him to save and that's all. No other programs that came with the computer when it was purchased new would be on there. He said I would have to use my back up discs to restore those programs.

Now the problem is I don't have any back up discs that came with my computer. After doing some research, I found that HP does not provide back up discs with these computers anymore, but they have a disc back up program installed and they want the customer creating their own disc. Obviously it's too late to do that now. So do I have any options for getting a disc somewhere? Does anyone know what I can do now? I guess that's what I get for not backing up.

It kept telling me there was an error or problem.
This is a long shot, but do you remember what the message exactly was? Not NTLDR missing by any chance?

I had two such cases over the summer with no-brand PCs.
First, it can be fixed by simply connecting the drive to another PC and copying (the right version!) file back where it belongs.
Second, the problem was RAM is both cases: it was cashing the file during boot-up and then loosing it due to an error.

Have you had you system overclocked?

Diogen.

Well it looks like things have changed for the worst. I went to pick up the computer today and was told there was more wrong with it than originally thought. Their telling me it's not worth fixing. So now I'm on the hunt for a new computer. Anyone have any suggestions? It's mainly used for web surfing, I-tunes, photos, and such.

Their telling me it's not worth fixing.

This sounds very fishy to me. What exactly do they claim is wrong with the computer?

Here is the cost of some of your parts including shipping:
Motherboard $80 ebay
500gb hard drive $50 newegg
restore disk $15 (?) hp

My blind guess is that you need a new hard drive and a restore disk. Find out what it needs and then do it yourself. I'd get a second opinion.

For it to be not worth fixing after 1 1/2 years I would be very skeptical also. The only way I could see it is if the power supply or something fried everything in the computer. To go from 'reinstall Vista' to trashing the computer.... what problem did they miss the first time around?

Either that or the guys there think anything over a year old is obsolete.

He mentioned motherboard and something else that I can't remember. He said these "original" parts ordered from HP would probably be around $200. Plus the cost of the labor would put the repair between $300 and $400. He just said I could get a new computer for another $200 or so.
I went and picked it up this afternoon. Maybe I should take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion? But to be fair. This place is a very small (2-3 employees) locally owned business that has been around for several years now. I have actually taken other computers there in the past for virus removals and never had any problems.

Sounds really odd to me also. I fix computers on the side when I am not fixing for the company I work for. I guess my time is not being charged out to customers well if they are making that much off labor. :confused:

I don't think new computers are a bad thing. However I think that trashing a good one is a shame also. I would have it checked again by someone else. See if they can do a quick bench test on the computer with the HP diag tools and see exactly what is wrong with it before you make the jump t a new machine. The HP media centers are usually pretty good machines.

Chuck

Was the "something else" the power supply or maybe the cpu (processor)? It couldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

In my spare time I take computers that people are going to throw away and fix them up. You'd be amazed how many functional computers people toss that only need a cheap part or a re-install of the operating system. (Let's face it most people just want an excuse to buy a shiny new computer so they can check their email a few seconds faster.)

If you decide you must buy a new computer I'd recommend you check bestbuy for a sale on a dual core compaq laptop for $400 or less. You may have to wait a few weeks to catch them at this price point. I DO NOT recommend you take your old computer there for service.

If you decide to go with a desktop then I'd avoid emachines. In the past they have been notorious for the power supplies dying and taking the motherboards with them which then fry any other power supplies when you put a new one in.

I wish you lived closer. I'd love to get my hands on this machine that is supposedly not worth fixing.

Well I called the repair man to make sure what the problem was. Apparently it's just the motherboard. He said the factory motherboard from HP along with the labor to fix it would not be worth the repair in his opinion. He said he could probably find one on Ebay, but you never really know what your getting for sure when you buy it there. He said he could buy a different motherboard and make it work, but he would have to buy a different case for it to fit and work.

Of course there's other charges on top of this that's making the cost add up. There's a $25 diagnostic test to determine what's wrong with it. so what do you guys think?

For future reference the best ideal backup solution IMHO is Carbonite dot Com.

Please plug in your computer and tell us what error messages you are getting.

That and what beep codes you get when you first turn it on, as opposed to the usual single one. 2 long and 1 short... ones like that. I still dont understand how they went from OS reinstall to motherboard replacement. Thats a big jump for diagnosing a problem.

I dont know about HP but mine has different pitched beeps a few seconds after it turns on if there are USB devices attached. So keep that in mind and the error beeps are quick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)