Need Consult & Advise: Equipment & Programming Change: Move NC to CA

batigolazo

Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
RTP, NC
Hi!

My first post, so :wave hello everyone :D , thanks for the forum and threads :bow. I have been an observer from the fence for some years, planning my upgrade to MPEG4/HD. In advance, please forgive any lack of details/info, or ignorant statements, though I tried to research some before posting...

So I am moving from Morrisville, NC (27560) to Pleasanton, CA (94588) in mid June. I am 4+ year customer, no yearly contract at present. I wish to get the most "bang for the buck" with regards to my Dish (E*) service. In summary:

Morrisville, NC
Dish 500 (DP Plus?) , Dish 625 + Dish 322G
1 HD TV + 3 SD TVs
Latino Max + Locals
Service Plan
Starz - 30th Aniv
TV2 Receiver Connection

Pleasanton, CA
Dish 1000.4 Westarn Arc (WA), Dish 722k + Dish 222k + Sling Adapter (maybe)
Wifi Broadband connectors x2 (1 for each receiver) , External Hard Drive
1 HD TV + 3 SD TVs
America's Top 120 (Non-Plus) + Locals
Service Plan
Starz - 30th Aniv

Separate, but somewhat related, there is a fifth (5th) TV that takes OTA from an Antennas Direct DB2.

Note: I am assuming the 1000.4 WA is the right dish based on threads in this forum.

First, I called Dish, and asked CSR for a recipe. Here's the summary:
Step 1. Dishin it Up + Dish Mover + 2Yr Contract (Take receivers/remotes on move)
Step 2. Coordinate with installer and get new equipment working (Turn in old receivers/remotes)
Step 3. Use WWW for HD free for Life (AutoPay with Paperless Billing)

Supposedly, the receivers and install are no cost, and I get no HD $10 fee. The change of programming is $7 cheaper per month. I get rid of the "TV2 Receiver Connection" fee with the Wifi Broadband Connectors.

Then, I write this thread and get SatGuys help (Pretty Please!!) with a myriad of questions:

1. Does CSR provided recipe seem optimal? Any gotchas? Any better/different way? (pros and cons)
1A. Will I lose my Starz - 30th Aniv because of the change/move?

2. Can I tell CSR (or installer) I want 1000.4 WA dish? Or do I have to put-up with prev gen 1000.2?

3. I will be calling the change early June, any advantage to calling mid May or end of May?

4. I will plead, beg, and grumble for as many promotions as possible:
A. HD Platinum free for 3 mos
B. Blockbuster free for 3 mos (May 18th??)
C. Sling-Adapter free ($99 gift card?)
Any hints or ideas how to maximize chances of getting all of them?

5. Can I tell CSR (or installer) I want brand new 722k and 222k, not refurbished/used?

6. If I buy Ronard 2218 Chimney Mount, can I require installer to install in chimney? There are two large trees in the two front corners of the house, which faces south, plus DishPointer shows LOS going through middle of the front of the house, between trees, if dish mounted on the chimney. Backyard is too shallow, so pole wouid need to be tall and unsightly. I am renting house, so I rather not drill onto chimney or roof, thus willing to pay for hardware.

7. Assuming I get dish mast in chimney mount, would it be possible to install my DB2 at the bottom of the same mast? The DB2 would face West.

8. I am computer savvy, so can I install/setup Wifi Broadband Connectors and Sling Adapter and External Hard Drive, after installer done with basic dish + 2 receivers? Or is installer required to do this?
8A. For 722k , seems the right sequence to connect/configure/test would be:
i. USB Powered Hub
ii. Wifi Broadband Connector
iii. Sling Adapter
iv. External Hard Drive

9. For 722k, I'll use a Rosewill RHUB-210 , anybody had issues with it?

10. I am thinking of Hard Drive Western Digital Elements 1.5TB WDBAAU0015HBK-NESN , anybody had issues with it?

11. My ISP will be Comcast XFinity Performance (12Mbps/2Mbps), I'll use a Motorola SB6120 (bought/owned) for cable modem, and a Cisco Linksys WRT160N V3 (bought/owned) , anybody knows of any issues?

12. Since I am renting the house, I am hoping there is already a premise coax box, and that the installer can access it... Otherwise, I'll try to convince the installer to use flat window coax cables, I have several Eagle Aspen FC-300LX... Any other options that avoid drilling??

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!
Feel free to ask/comment on anything related not mentioned.

Welcome to satelliteguys. I can answer the 1st 5 of your questions here.
1. Dish CSR seems pretty accurate although you can also get HD for life with LatinoMAX as well if you don't feel like switching packages, but that's up to you.
1A. You shouldn't lose Starz-30th Aniv since you're still an existing customer.
2. 1000.4 is pretty much the standard now. I'd doubt that the installer would still have/install a 1000.2.
3. Not really an advantage if you call them early. Just call them when you're ready to make the move.
4. All 3 promotions you should get automatically when you move since you'll be making the move after May 18th. (I'll be posting a new thread later about the sling adapter)
5. You can tell the CSR but it depends what DISH currently has in their inventory. You should be fine getting a new 222k but since the 722k is a lot more popular, it'll be harder getting a new one.

Hi!

Thanks ckhalil18.
1. I want to switch to America's Top 120 because the Locals for Pleasanton, CA include 5 Spanish stations. No Spanish Locals in Morrisville, NC.
2. Great! I always prefer latest hardware/fiirmware, assuming it has been tested/vetted somewhat!!
3. I'll call early June as originally planned.
4. I'll keep watch of SatGuys threads on promotions, and I'll train for the begging, pleading, grumbling over the phone!!
5. Is the 722k sent from some central Dish warehouse to installer or does installer already have local inventory?

Again thanks!

To answer your last question, I really don't know how their inventory system works. All I know is that the 722k is a lot more popular than the 222k so your chances of getting a refurbished 722k or even a 622/722 are a bit higher. But I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I'm sure Dish has some new 722k's stored somewhere. Anyway, good luck on your big move and I hope everything works out for you.

Would I get more replies if I break -up my questions into several threads, and I use more specific thread title?
Qs 1-5 are about handshaking with CSR and/or installer (ckhalil18 already provided answers)
Qs 6-7 , and 12 are about equipment install
Qs 8-11 are about config/setup

#6- I personally would never mount a dish to my chimney. That just seems like a bad idea. If the dish were to act like a sail it could loosen the joints in the mortor and that would invite water, insects or at the worst it could lead to a cracked liner. YMMV but I would not let them put it there. Especially if you rent.

Also the installer might install your OTA antenna for you but I would think that would be an extra install fee. Also you should check antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to see if you would need an antenna mounted outside. It might do fine inside if you are in a decent area.

Remanufactured receivers are fine. The 722 I began with was new and lasted a year, the remanufactured replacement is going into year 3. But make sure to tell them you need OTA modules if they are install any K receivers(722k, 211k, or a 922).

Hope your move goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the concern/suggestion and well wish on the move. I really could appreciate a smooth relocation, knock on wood!!

Pleasanton, CA is within a valley, opposite ridge side to the Bay Area. Strong gusts of winds or San Francisco windy days very rarely occur in Pleasanton.
Given a <20 yr old house, and historical wind speeds Pleasanton Weather Forecast - Temperature, Precipitation & Snow Depth , and compared to the alternatives I know, I think using the Ronard 2218 Chimney Mount hardware is the best option. Nonetheless, I am open to recommendations. If a SatGuy installer wants to help me better research and understand my situation, I can PM the address.

As for OTA modules on the receivers, I do not need/want them. The Locals I listed in my summary is the $$ Locals E* provides as a programming package. The 5th TV only needs/uses the DB2 signal, plus it has an integrated DVD/CD player.

I do not mind used equipment much, but if there is a method/recipe to get new equipment, I want to know and give it a try. I feel better trying and erring 99% of the tries, than not trying and wondering what-ifs, just my personality!!

Since you are renting, make sure you have landlord permission to install, (preferably in writing noting any restrictions) Ask him specifically about the chimney mount.

Don't be surprised if the installer won't install the strap mount. If you have it setup beforehand, he may be more inclined to use it.

622/722/722k new or reman is up to chance, ask the installer what he has on the truck when he gets there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)