need desperate help

pinkjess

Jan 1, 2009
Halifax
Hi , i dont really know much about receivers , but i got a 311 receiver and here is my problem :

1- i get a signal at satellite 118 transponder 20
2- when i press cancel i get this message : vital program information will be downloaded to your receiver , do not disturb or unplug it . Status : acquiring satellite. the problem is thats it , it wont do anything , i left it on this screen for hours ,, and i tried a lot of stuff.

another thing : when i do a :check switch , i get X everywhere and it says installed switch : unknown .

thing is i got the receiver brand new , my ex boyfriend took his receiver when he moved out and i got this new one.

i called the company and i got it unlocked , and i been trying to call them for 2 days , and they didnt seem to know much about it .

thank you and please tell me what to do and be very specific since i a illiterate when it comes to satellite.

note: i do have a signal but nothing shows up on check switch when i test it , and as far as i know i only have one satellite connected directly to my receiver.

If the only satellite connected is the 118, then you will have issues. Best thing I can recommend is to take a picture of your dish outside so we can see what type it is. You'll likely just need a Dish 500 for the 110 and 119 satellites. The 118 is really only used for international channels.

could be a number of things. bad lnbfs, not aligned properly or even a bad connection somewhere. unlikely the reciever since it is new but not impossible. run the check switch if it counts to 38 then its not reading the lnbf if it counts to 1,2,3 or 4 its most likely and alignment issue or defective lnbf. also need to know what type of dish u have. but most likely u should set up a service call.

could be a number of things. bad lnbfs, not aligned properly or even a bad connection somewhere. unlikely the reciever since it is new but not impossible. run the check switch if it counts to 38 then its not reading the lnbf if it counts to 1,2,3 or 4 its most likely and alignment issue or defective lnbf. also need to know what type of dish u have. but most likely u should set up a service call.

Sounds to me like it's a strange setup. Doesn't the 118 require an FSS LNB?

Hi , i dont really know much about receivers , but i got a 311 receiver and here is my problem :

1- i get a signal at satellite 118 transponder 20
2- when i press cancel i get this message : vital program information will be downloaded to your receiver , do not disturb or unplug it . Status : acquiring satellite. the problem is thats it , it wont do anything , i left it on this screen for hours ,, and i tried a lot of stuff.

another thing : when i do a :check switch , i get X everywhere and it says installed switch : unknown .

thing is i got the receiver brand new , my ex boyfriend took his receiver when he moved out and i got this new one.

i called the company and i got it unlocked , and i been trying to call them for 2 days , and they didnt seem to know much about it .

thank you and please tell me what to do and be very specific since i a illiterate when it comes to satellite.

note: i do have a signal but nothing shows up on check switch when i test it , and as far as i know i only have one satellite connected directly to my receiver.

Bottom line: Having just 118 aint going to do anything for you. Get a tech out or upgrade the dish. Your not going to get anywhere with 118.

I was told this about 118 from an advanced Dish tech rep. There is no software on 118 so when it says it is downloading software it will sit there because it can't download it without any there. It's like trying to fill up your car with gas at a station that just ran out. You can sit there forever and wait for something to come out but it aint goin to happen. Sorry.

Plus, most SD channels come off of 119 or 110 w/ the primary being 119 but if your looking for locals they mostly come off of 110 but you won't get the channels you pay for other than locals.

Last edited:
I might be way off here but I'll try my detective skills:

- Sounds like a setup with one of those combo 119/118 LNBFs that are only useful to the eyepatch gang.
- I'm guessing the ex boyfriend's receiver was not a real dish network receiver but some other brand that's been "specially" modified to steal dish network signals. Is he your "ex" because he's less than honest?

If the above two statements are true, then a real dish network receiver is going to have trouble with that setup. If my statements are false, well that's why I'm a computer nerd instead of a detective. :)

Of course, it could be a weird setup because you're in Halifax (Nova Scotia?) and real dish network installers frown on having to drive to Canada to do a setup, so it had to all be self installed.

I might be way off here but I'll try my detective skills:

- Sounds like a setup with one of those combo 119/118 LNBFs that are only useful to the eyepatch gang.
- I'm guessing the ex boyfriend's receiver was not a real dish network receiver but some other brand that's been "specially" modified to steal dish network signals. Is he your "ex" because he's less than honest?

If the above two statements are true, then a real dish network receiver is going to have trouble with that setup. If my statements are false, well that's why I'm a computer nerd instead of a detective. :)

Of course, it could be a weird setup because you're in Halifax (Nova Scotia?) and real dish network installers frown on having to drive to Canada to do a setup, so it had to all be self installed.

Fine job, detective...

There is a Halifax in MA, NC, PA, VA and even a Halifax Co in NC. If it is true about Canada then there is a problem because it is illegal.

I figured there might be Halifax in other places but the one in Nova Scotia is normally what you think of, if it's unspecified.

I figured there might be Halifax in other places but the one in Nova Scotia is normally what you think of, if it's unspecified.

Lol. I wouldn't know. I have never been out of TX. I had to look it up. Just thought it was strange that it could be possible. I know that the places on the border of Canada/US it is possible but illegal as it is not CONUS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts