Need DIRT help in upgrading to 2 Hopper 3 Receivers

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I finally decided to upgrade my 2 Hopper with Sling receivers to 2 Hopper 3 receivers using a DPH42 switch. First I called Dish and was told that I would need to purchase the second Hopper 3. I agreed and after some discussion the agent said the upgrade would be free. I have been a Dish customer with AEP package, Dish movies, and protection plan since 2000 with autopay. The only cost difference would be my grandfathered DVR fee of $12 would increase to $15. The agent supposedly made these notes in my account.

I then ordered a Hopper 3 from Dish Depot. I talked to Mark to make sure that it would be loaded with the correct software to recognize the DPH42 switch. The Hopper 3 receiver arrived today. I then called Dish to schedule installation of a leased Hopper3, my purchased Hopper 3, and a DPH42 switch. Unfortunately, I had an offshore agent who was ignorant. She initially insisted that Dish does not allow 2 Hopper 3 receivers on 1 account. She wanted to disable 1 of my HWS receivers for my purchased Hopper 3 receiver. Either she could not read the notes that the earlier agent wrote on my account or the earlier agent lied when he said he was noting everything on my account.

I finally told the agent to do nothing and I would handle it through the DIsh agent (DIRT) on the SatelliteGuys site.

Basically I need to schedule an appointment to substitute a leased Hopper 3 and my purchased Hopper 3 for my 2 leased Hopper With Sling receivers. They will need to bring a DPH42 switch which they will connect to my 61.5 dish and my western arc dish (110,119,129). I have already backed up my programs to my 3 hard drives and backed up my settings to the remotes. I will also keep my Joey 2 in my bedroom.

Tonight, I decided to try again but this time using Dish chat. Once again the agent insisted that you can not have 2 Hopper 3 receivers at the same address. I told him he was mistaken since I know of at least 20 individuals that have 2 Hopper 3 receivers. He said with 16 tuners you don't need 2 Hopper 3 receivers. I replied that I am not worried about tuner conflicts but I want redundancy and I have 3 external drives and 2 OTA tuners and a Hopper 3 only has 3 USB ports.

He finally agreed but "he is a front line agent and does not have authority to authorize 2 Hopper 3 receivers."

What is disappointing to me is that the agent last week supposedly made notes on my account. I did not buy a Hopper3 until I checked with Dish first. Apparently the agent last week lied to me about adding the notes to my account.

The agent from the chat said he has made notes in my account. He said I should call Dish and ask for the Tools Exception Team. Apparently they have the authority to authorize 2 Hopper 3 installations. This should have been easy. I understand why people get upset.

I will wait until Monday to call. I assume that the special team does not work weekends.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I called Dish today and asked for the "Tools Exception Team". The agent was very knowledgeable and he contacted the exceptions team while we were talking. At first they were having troubles since I only have 1 Joey 2. Apparently the software wants more TV's. I mentioned that I have an Amazon Fire TV that I use instead of a Joey 2 and I have Slingbox Pro connected to my other HWS and I have a RF modulator that connects my Barn TV. They were then able to override the computer objections. My installation is scheduled for Wednesday August 9th from 8 till noon.

After I have used my 2 Hopper 3 receivers for a week or 2 I will send you my comments regarding the Hopper 3 performance. I have noticed that some people say that the Hopper 3 has no issues while others complain about many issues. I will decide for myself and report back here.

I called Dish today and asked for the "Tools Exception Team". The agent was very knowledgeable and he contacted the exceptions team while we were talking. At first they were having troubles since I only have 1 Joey 2. Apparently the software wants more TV's. I mentioned that I have an Amazon Fire TV that I use instead of a Joey 2 and I have Slingbox Pro connected to my other HWS and I have a RF modulator that connects my Barn TV. They were then able to override the computer objections. My installation is scheduled for Wednesday August 9th from 8 till noon.

After I have used my 2 Hopper 3 receivers for a week or 2 I will send you my comments regarding the Hopper 3 performance. I have noticed that some people say that the Hopper 3 has no issues while others complain about many issues. I will decide for myself and report back here.
WOW, nice. Never heard of the Tools Exception Team. What is their specialty?

They are able to do things that "front line agents" can not do. In my case authorizing 2 Hopper 3 receivers on 1 account. The front line agent can only follow the computer prompts. Even they had to override the computer since I only have 1 Joey 2.

Of coarse the flexibility depends on your customer status. I am considered an excellent customer since I have had Dish for 17 years with AEP package, Dish movies, protection plan, and autopay.

They are able to do things that "front line agents" can not do. In my case authorizing 2 Hopper 3 receivers on 1 account. The front line agent can only follow the computer prompts. Even they had to override the computer since I only have 1 Joey 2.

Of coarse the flexibility depends on your customer status. I am considered an excellent customer since I have had Dish for 17 years with AEP package, Dish movies, protection plan, and autopay.
Thanks dweber. Sounds like the DISH Presidential office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts