Need for NEW weather channel

KG4KBU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Corbin, KY
given what has happened over the past week and what may happen over the weeks and months to come with tornado outbreaks the need for the NEW weather channel WeatherNation TV is greater then ever. Safety is key and we have to be able to get these warnings out. Please dish network add this channel as this is a public safety issue.

I work close with the national weather service offices and kentucky emergency managment agency. If those tornadoes that hit east kentucky would have happened around the bluegrass region, southcentral kentucky say Laurel/ Pulaski or the west kentucky area those would have been EF-4 to EF-5. The WeatherNation channel would be just another great source for severe weather info. I know you can only get channels from one DMA but this would be great for folks needing to check on the weather situation who live in other states or another DMA. Where I live in Southeast Kentucky dish should also offer Knoxville, TN DMA to us. Now those two counties in Alabama in the Atlanta DMA do they get their channels from BHM or Atlanta ?

No need for another weather channel for severe weather. What happens when the storm knocks out your electricity? Will you blame dish for not having service?

A better solution would be to have a battery operated am/fm radio or a weather radio. Next best thing would be to have OTA antenna hooked up so when you lose signal from sat due to heavy cloud cover you will still have local weather info.

Another sat weather channel might not focus on your storm cell when you need that info!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

given what has happened over the past week and what may happen over the weeks and months to come with tornado outbreaks the need for the NEW weather channel WeatherNation TV is greater then ever. Safety is key and we have to be able to get these warnings out. Please dish network add this channel as this is a public safety issue.

KG4KBU is out in no where land. Located between Lexington, KY and Knoxville, TN. I can relate to this request.

No need for another weather channel for severe weather. What happens when the storm knocks out your electricity? Will you blame dish for not having service?

A better solution would be to have a battery operated am/fm radio or a weather radio. Next best thing would be to have OTA antenna hooked up so when you lose signal from sat due to heavy cloud cover you will still have local weather info.

Another sat weather channel might not focus on your storm cell when you need that info!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I know all about that stuff. I have a alert system and weather radio. AM/ FM radio around here only plays music or the talk channels and do NO severe weather coverage. As for OTA signal good luck getting anything where I live. I mean this here will as I said be a big help for those also keeping an eye on their family from other parts of the country. I work close with the Weather Service and Kentucky Emergency Mgt. Agency as stated. Also WeatherNation uses Baron and weathercentral graphics which are some of the best on the market

I know all about that stuff. I have a alert system and weather radio. AM/ FM radio around here only plays music or the talk channels and do NO severe weather coverage.

Although many AM/FM radio stations are automated and run talk or music (with no local announcers), they are required to broadcast EAS messages. This - at a minimum - would include Tornado Watches/Warnings. Some stations opt to include Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, which is an excellent decision especially during a valid Tornado Watch.

my android phone have great weather warning, im sure most other smartphones have apps for that too

You need to have a battery radio that has the NOAA weather band. Smart phones with a weather app are good as long as the towers have power. Depending on sat weather is iffy. In addition to the problem of loss of power there is rain fade in the storm.

We have an emergency radio that does Weatherband, TV, AM/FM, and Shortwave. It has a built in LED flashlight and a cell phone charger (USB based). It runs on either batteries, AC, or a wind up crank. I would recommend everyone getting something like this for emergencies.

well, i live in the northeastern part of what is consider the DFW Metroplex TV/Radio market. which means we can get most of the DFW area TV and Radio stations. North Texas is a prime place for severe weather this time of year. so i understand that people need another weather network on Dish. but they won't make it happen. so for all of us in the DFW area, for the best weather coverage, get a NOAA weather radio, have a internet connection of some sort to watch the radar on one of the local station's sites or weather.com or weatherunderground or intellicast.com or NOAA's website of weather.gov, tune to WFAA 8 (local ABC station), KDFW Fox 4, KXAS NBC 5, KTVT CBS 11 on TV or on radio ether 820 AM/96.7 AM WBAP (as they and sister station 96.3 KSCS are primary EAS stations in our area for EAS bulletins) and 1080 AM KRLD.

Stop by Radio Shack and pick up one of their inexpensive scanners. Just about all of them these days can pick up the NOAA weather radio stations.

In addition, find out the frequency for the amateur radio repeater in your area that is used for the local weather net.

Program the weather net frequency in and tune in to hear weather spotters feeding live conditions directly to the National Weather Service.

You'll get more timely detailed information that you could ever hope to get from your local media, let alone a national satellite channel.

-SF

Tuner 3 - Lost Signal - New Hopper Install.

Hey Dish!!!! Fix the aspect ratio for Fuel!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)