Need for NEW weather channel

In my experience, at least in our neck of the woods, you are far more likely to have DSL or dial up telephone than satellite service...and I use backup power very frequently. But there is always weather band radio, which can be set to sound an alarm in severe weather....and you can use cellular telephone as a wireless modem. All in all, using TV for weather alerts...is one of the least efficient ways to get real time NOAA data

Midland Radio - Midland Radio | Home

Perhaps if you have DSL. Even then, you still will need a power source at your house to power the modem. Cable Internet however goes out anytime there is a power loss along the way to my house as well as at my house. A car accident into a pole? Cable Internet goes out. With a generator, Satellite does not go out. It's that simple......
And I did say a portable radio is the best choice, which would include a battery powered alert radio.

No need for the weather channel anymore since you can get everything on your phones without having to wait.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad Cartridge

Found out here that was not true. As it turns out, if power is out for awhile the cell towers for the most part do not have back-up power beyond a short time on battery. Beyond that, depending on the population the cell site can become overcrowded and come to a crawl. Even with a college basketball game we can see the tower there get bogged down, which happens to be the tower close to my home.
All the suggestions are fine as long as there is power, in the case of Cable Internet power all the way from the source to you.

I'm with the OP, but not for local weather, but because NBC is ruining the Weather Channel brand with documentaries and "Today" type of bits (clothing, cooking, etc.). Weathercast would be wonderful competition. The local weather over the phone line is fine, local stations are best for true emergency info. If I want anything else I go to a news station. NBC/Roker is a disease. Don't try to be everything for everybody. It never works.
If I wanted to "Wake Up With Al", I would watch NBC. I wish that TWC would be like it was 5 years ago. I agree we need an alternative station for wether!!

I'm with the OP, but not for local weather, but because NBC is ruining the Weather Channel brand with documentaries and "Today" type of bits (clothing, cooking, etc.). Weathercast would be wonderful competition. The local weather over the phone line is fine, local stations are best for true emergency info. If I want anything else I go to a news station. NBC/Roker is a disease. Don't try to be everything for everybody. It never works.
TWC was going downhill long before the peacock got their grubby hands on it.NBC just turned downhill into a landslide .:cool:

Another weather channel is needed simply because the current "weather channel" spends too much time with storm stories and yo mamas weather and other such junk that is not what a weather channel should be doing.

The Weather Channel once was a good resource, but now it is a farce.

Go to DirecTV and TWC gives local weather via zip code on normal Chanel's. No DISH spin control about local weather on the 8's via local zip code(s) which have never appeared.

I was a longtime customer who became tired of DISH BS.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wanted to check on the snow storm in the north Midwest, but the weather channel is showing a show on sailing through storms? Really need a real weather channel from Accuweather, Intlecast, or Weather Nation. Or simply add the weather scan channel like dish already has up in some markets.

THe Weather Channel has gone from a 24 hiur weather information channel to a part time weather and part time entertainment channel.
The service has moved into overdrive in hiring not meteorologists, but eye candy. Yeah, they look good, but these are at best spokesmodel chicks that are as dumb as posts.

The Weather Channel needs to get rid of the documentaries and get back to the basic weather forcasting. You used to could watch it for eight minutes and get the whole forcast. Now they do not do the whole forcast ever, I guess. THe few time that I needed a weather forcast, I could not get it in over a hour. I gave up and never go back.

Sounds like they need TWO channels. One with just LIVE Weather with a real person talking 24x7 like in the old days if this channel.
AND a new WeatherChannel 2 that just shows weather shows and documentaries. Would this make everyone happy? Or just add the WeatherNation channel and keep the weather channel (end up with Two channels)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)