Need HD Help - D* and Time Warner & OTA - Is there *any* Quality Dif in HD Picture?

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I have analog Time Warner Cable in Raleigh, NC. I also have the "works" from D* on 4 boxes, two of which are the newer PVR's for standard definition.

I want HD for my HD set, but I'm torn. I've seen the Time Warner SD Digital service and frankly, it stinks. My D* is much better picture quality.

Can anyone with experience comment on any subjective picture quality differences between Time Warner HD service, OTA HD (with an HD Tuner) and D* HD on the 921?

I'm going to either:
A. Upgrade to the D*921, but I've heard horror stories
B. Upgrade HD set to a Time Warner Digital PVR box, but it will run me 17 bucks more a month! or
C: Built a new HTPC with a massive hard disk and new HDTV Tuner and use Microsoft Media Center 2005 as my PVR and settle for Network OTA feeds for now.

Of these three options, going with cable is the lowest cost option to start, but the monthly fee's will add up. THe D* 921 is fairly expensive and the HPTC the most expensive to start, but the cheapest to operat!

Please advise soon, the superbowl is just around the corner!

Thanks,

bradesp

In Minneapolis, the Time Warner HD PQ is on a 8300HD is virtually the same as the PQ on E* with my 811. I don't have a 921 so I can't speak to that. My buddy has TW and if Dish doesn't offer any more HD soon, I will be switching when my HD contract is up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)