Need help.. 811 program guide issue

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
My 811 wont show any local programming on the guide except "local digital". It will not show what is on any of the locals. I called dish and they told me to "unplug" the unit. Big help. Yes I have the newest software and I know the locals are broadcasting the info because on a local hd tuner I can get them. What do I do now? Also the guide only seems to go about 1-2 hours ahead and then I get "no programming info". On my 501 I could go forward with the menu about 24 hours or more. Any help appreciated. Thanks Bob P.

1. The local digital channel guide information comes from the local stations over the PSIP data stream. Dish doesn't provide guide data for local OTA channels. Maybe the program info data isn't formatted just right, or you have a bad 811.

2. Welcome to the club. The 811 has been limited to about 2 hours of guide data since the last firmware download, revision 2.81 in October. Hopefully, that will be addressed in the next update.

Um... I have about 48 hours of guide data. Have had that amont since i got the thing. If you dont turn it off at night you wont get the new guide and will only get the 2 hour guide. if youarnt turning it off at night start doing so to get guide data. if you are turning it off... then there might be a problem

As far as I can tell on mine, if I watch OTA HDTV channels for a period of time(like an hour) I lose all the guide info for the dish channels. Then, after a while I get 1 hour worth of guide data(the current show and the next show only). To get the guide data back, I either have to soft reboot the 811 (hold the power button down a few seconds) or wait until the next day. Sometimes the next day thing doesn't work either.

Thanks guys but I do turn my 811 off each night and I know my local digitals broadcast the guide info because Ive seen it with a local hd tuner. What now?

chevyN8 said:
As far as I can tell on mine, if I watch OTA HDTV channels for a period of time(like an hour) I lose all the guide info for the dish channels. Then, after a while I get 1 hour worth of guide data(the current show and the next show only). To get the guide data back, I either have to soft reboot the 811 (hold the power button down a few seconds) or wait until the next day. Sometimes the next day thing doesn't work either.

This is exactly what happens to me, but in addition, sometimes when I go to guide, it shows "no info" for everything and hitting the guide button to change to another Favorites list does nothing, not change. I have to soft re-boot to get it back...sometimesI get guide data out a couple hours, sometimes a couple days..never a predicatable pattern.

robertjp said:
Thanks guys but I do turn my 811 off each night and I know my local digitals broadcast the guide info because Ive seen it with a local hd tuner. What now?

Are you leaving it tuned to an OTA channel when you turn it off? if so it wont downlaod the guide data (Sat channels AND OTA channels)

I put in an email to dish for an answer. I cant find the response (very busy inbox) but the PSIP data comes through the dish guide download it doesnt get it OTA.

No its on a sat channel when I turn it off. Does the local programming info come OTA or by sat? Getting mixed results on that. Thought it was OTA.

robertjp said:
No its on a sat channel when I turn it off. Does the local programming info come OTA or by sat? Getting mixed results on that. Thought it was OTA.

currently via sat. The receiver (according to a dish tech) doesnt support PISP or PSIP (whichever) but will in the future. local guide infor comes down via the sat.

Your problem is intersting... wondering if its the box, the software, or some other problem.

If the reciever doesnt support it, then why do people here claim they get local digital guide info (detailed info)?????????????

The 811 will get limited guide info for local digital channels IF.....dish carries your locals and you are in one of the test markets. The info comes from 'dish' at this time.

Oakenshld said:
This is exactly what happens to me, but in addition, sometimes when I go to guide, it shows "no info" for everything and hitting the guide button to change to another Favorites list does nothing, not change. I have to soft re-boot to get it back...sometimesI get guide data out a couple hours, sometimes a couple days..never a predicatable pattern.

I have been on the phone several times with advance tech support on this one since the last S.W. download. On Monday (11-15-04) the tech inform me that they are aware of the problem and that the fix will come in SW 2.83 sometime in December.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)