Need help dealing with customers.

NixonCarmichael

Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
I'm new here, so I have no idea who any of you people are or how you operate so I'm just going to get right to it.

I am a tech/sales guy for a DishNetwork/DTV company. I have no idea why this is happening, but for the past several months I've been dealing with a GIGANTIC influx of customer issues, the freightening thing is that 9/10 of these complaining customers have no actual problems whatsoever, they're simply just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. Not only are they calling in with preposterous "problems", but I've also been personally accused of the following:

1. Stealing a customers dog.
2. Eating a customers food out of their fridge.
3. Being "uncool"(customers words).
4. Stealing a beat and bent to hell DirecTV dish.
5. Urinating in a customers basement.

First and foremost I would like to express that each every one of these claims are categorically untrue. Just so there is no confusion, I'll address each of them accordingly:
1. I don't remember seeing a dog at this particular customers house, I have no idea why someone would accuse of stealing a dog, this is just retarded.
2. I have and will NEVER do anything this stupid, I have no idea where this customer was coming from.
3. This jerk*** accused accused me of being "uncool" because I would not hook him with a promotion for which he did not qualify.
4. I installed a system at customers house who previously had DirecTV. His current DTV dish was at least 7 years old and was bent(which was why he wasn't getting DirecTV signal). I didn't steal the dish, after I uninstalled it from his roof I left it on the front porch.
5. The customer dog obviously urinated all over the customers carpeted basement floor. I was wearing plastic covers over my shoes(standard procedure for most technicians) which is why I didn't notice. The fact that the customer accused me of whizzing on his floor makes me wonder how we've managed to survive as a species thus far.

All of THAT ^ being said. Heres what else I've encountered recently:
We've had a slew of customers complain that they've received bills significantly higher than they were told. They mostly claim that their bills should be 19.99 when they're signed up for packages with upwards of 200 channels and high definition service. This problem is epidemic and bewildering given the fact that we go over the monthly service costs on the phone with the customer and also review it with them before AND after performing the installation.

I've also had a number of customers recently disconnect their service because the channel numbers aren't the same as they were on cable. For example, they're disconnecting because CNN is now on channel 200 instead of channel 35 as it was on cable or whatever they had before. Also I've had a number of customers disconnect their service because they that their systems were malfunctioning when in fact they simply needed to reset their TV sets to channel 3, an issue with which we inform the customer during the installation.

HUGE PROBLEM: Middle Eastern customers who want everything for free with no contract and NO monthly bill. Why and how is this possible? This has happened on no less than five occasions in the past year, even though the international packages are super-expensive.

I had a person recently report me to the better business bureau and the authorities because I refused to take his order after learning that he lives in the projects.

These are not typically problems that I've experienced in the past and each day I'm bewildered with new, exotic and downright insane claims from these people. Not only do I have to deal with this s*** from the customers, but then either corporate DirecTV or Dish Network is on the phone to my office hassleing us about these problems and finding every excuse in the world to chargeback my company for every dime possible. This is almost making want to quit and go work at Burger King. Has anyone else experienced absurdy like this, and if so how in God's name do you deal with it?

Nix

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely a troll...but... (here's me getting sucked in) if you did an install at my home recently, I gave you a hot cup of coffee and sent you away with $20 for fuel to get you home.

Luck of the draw, I guess.

HUGE PROBLEM: Middle Eastern customers who want everything for free with no contract and NO monthly bill. Why and how is this possible? This has happened on no less than five occasions in the past year, even though the international packages are super-expensive.

This is because a good number of these customers are stealing the service with either a hacked card of a FTA Receiver.

The problem im seeing now is that these people know the card swap is coming and they know they will be without TV soon so now they all want to hurry up and subscribe, but don't want to sign a contract because they know they will be gone as soon as the next hack is available.

I had a person recently report me to the better business bureau and the authorities because I refused to take his order after learning that he lives in the projects.

Sure you have the right to turn away business, but you need to be smart about how you turn away the business. A simple ansewer like "We don't service that area, you need to call 800-333-DISH" would have not gotten the customer pist off and report you to the BBB.

4. I installed a system at customers house who previously had DirecTV. His current DTV dish was at least 7 years old and was bent(which was why he wasn't getting DirecTV signal). I didn't steal the dish, after I uninstalled it from his roof I left it on the front porch.

Thats why you leave the customers old Dish on the roof and do not remove it unless the customers specifically requests it. I have removed customers Directv Dishes before as a courtesty, only to have a few bad apples call me back and make a stink over it and request I put it back up. So I do not touch them anymore.

All of THAT ^ being said. Heres what else I've encountered recently:
We've had a slew of customers complain that they've received bills significantly higher than they were told. They mostly claim that their bills should be 19.99 when they're signed up for packages with upwards of 200 channels and high definition service. This problem is epidemic and bewildering given the fact that we go over the monthly service costs on the phone with the customer and also review it with them before AND after performing the installation.

I have run into this also, and it would drive me up a wall. The problem is that the customer sees you advertise $19.99, but when they call to sign up you evaluate their needs and sign them up with a larger package with the channels they requested. Solution for me was to spend $60,000 on a new phone system, when they call and complain we play back the recording and the customer suddenly remembers what they ordered and the problem is solved!

My biggest issue is these so called "FREE Gifts" such as an I-POD or portable DVD Player. I don't promise these to anyone, yet I get a call atleast once per week with someone claiming they didn't get what they where promised. I got into it with one customer who insisted it was in one of our ads. I made him fax me the advertisement and it was not even my ad, it was my competitor. Needless to say I told him to call the number on the advertisement to request his free gift :(

I've also had a number of customers recently disconnect their service because the channel numbers aren't the same as they were on cable. For example, they're disconnecting because CNN is now on channel 200 instead of channel 35 as it was on cable or whatever they had before. Also I've had a number of customers disconnect their service because they that their systems were malfunctioning when in fact they simply needed to reset their TV sets to channel 3, an issue with which we inform the customer during the installation.

Have not had an issue with the channel numbers being different in a long long time. I have had a few disconnect due to stupid technical reasons, the biggest issue is that the customer truely believes that their is something wrong with their Dish, where its really user error.

These are not typically problems that I've experienced in the past and each day I'm bewildered with new, exotic and downright insane claims from these people. Not only do I have to deal with this s*** from the customers, but then either corporate DirecTV or Dish Network is on the phone to my office hassleing us about these problems and finding every excuse in the world to chargeback my company for every dime possible. This is almost making want to quit and go work at Burger King. Has anyone else experienced absurdy like this, and if so how in God's name do you deal with it?

I got the same problem with Dish calling my office also. If we scrwed up we make it right, but most of the time your giving out courtesy credits to people who don't deserve to make them happy so they do not disconnect. I will say the chargebacks are ligit when we do get them eventhough the reason why customers disconnected may not be our fault.

Well, that's what you get paid the big bucks for.

Oh, wait- you're not getting paid the big bucks? Tell me again why you do this? I had one online retailer I bought from explore hiring me to do a few installs. Did not express the slightest interest, for good reasons you are well aware of.

I wish you well, and I have tipped poor shlomos even though their jobs were less than good. And I suspect the burger burner jobs have their own share of idiot customers.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

Bad call.
Most likely a troll...
Bad call.

Well done, Claude.

... but then either corporate DirecTV or Dish Network is on the phone to my office hassleing us about these problems and finding every excuse in the world to chargeback my company for every dime possible. This is almost making want to quit and go work at Burger King. Has anyone else experienced absurdy like this, and if so how in God's name do you deal with it?
Right on the money. They are scratching the eyes out of their own dealers, to try and make their numbers. This does such damage to building business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts