Need help from all you weekend warriors

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
I had a new injury Saturday night. With all the training I've done I've had my share of shin splints, a nasty case of swimmer's ear, and other minor maladies. I also broke my toe in a backyard soccer game a few years ago and trained right throught it because they said despite the pain I wouldn't do further damage.

And of course I had my bike accident last summer which left me with a moving part in my elbow that doesn't hurt at all, but feels really strange to the touch.

But now I have a new one. I'm at my fiance's cousin's wedding Saturday night, I drag him onto the floor to dance, and some people who are having a little too much fun dancing near us fall down, and I get rolled from the side NFL-style. My left knee is a little sore, but the bigger problem is that when I was knocked off balance I turned my right ankle...and of course the 3 and a half inch heels didn't help.

X-rays are negative Sunday, it's a sprain...but it REALLY hurts. The only thing they told me at radiology was RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevation. Well now I'm worried about frostbite and it's still kinda swollen. My fiance says that's not unusual, but if it's still swollen in a couple of days we should go to an orthopedic doctor.

What say you guys? How long have sprains taken to heal? This stinks...I can't even gain like two pounds because I have a modified size 4-6 fitted bodice wedding dress I need to get into next month, and I really need to get back to running soon.

I also need to have a healthy ankle at the time of the wedding, so I'm not sure what to do. What's your experience? When can you start putting pressure on the ankle again? Do you just 'know'?

Thanks!

Sandra

Last edited:
Sprains can take a long time to heal. You may need to keep it wrapped for proper support.

And, as tough as it may be based on what your timetable sounds like; don't try to do too much too soon. If you push it, it might lengthen the recovery time...

From past experience, keep it elevated above your heart AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

And, as tough as it may be based on what your timetable sounds like; don't try to do too much too soon. If you push it, it might lengthen the recovery time...
correct! use ice. at least an ice bag. ibuprofen to bring that swelling down and most of all just stay off of it as much as possible for at least a week to see significant improvement. two if possible. and if you reach your date without being 100% then just inject some of that special juice in there ;)

My left knee is a little sore, but the bigger problem is that when I was knocked off balance I turned my right ankle...and of course the 3 and a half inch heels didn't help.

X-rays are negative Sunday, it's a sprain...but it REALLY hurts. The only thing they told me at radiology was RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevation. Well now I'm worried about frostbite and it's still kinda swollen. My fiance says that's not unusual, but if it's still swollen in a couple of days we should go to an orthopedic doctor.

Sandra

Those are affectionately known as high ankle sprains and they take a little longer than usual to heal. Other than the r.i.c.e , what I have done in the past for both myself and the kids I have coached is include some heat after ice. You want to get the blood flowing as soon as possible in the injured areas. Do the ice in the ankle before you bathe and then elevate the ankle and run the hot water on it.

Good luck!

I would also think about using crutches for a few days just so you don't put any undue strain on the ankle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)