Need help getting my DirecTV sevice in a Chicago High Rise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bjthadj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
First of all let me apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Here is my situation.

I moved from AZ to Chicago a while back. Here in Chicago I live in a high rise that only has Comcast as an option. I moved my D* service to my parents' house in AZ to keep my legacy receivers (H20 and HR20) active and not lose saved recordings on there. With football season fast approaching I am looking for a solution to have access to my D* service here in Chi, either by moving my service here or installing a SlingBox type device there and streaming.

I live on the 3rd floor of a 14 floor high rise. The building is protected as a historic building so there is no option to attach a dish to it. My windows face North and West. That is the bad news. The good news I have just gotten from building management is that the Comcast lines come in from the roof so this gives me some hope.

My first choice is to have D* installed here but attaching a dish to the roof in any capacity requires board approval and all sorts of hoops and BS that I'm not interested in stirring. I get the impression putting something up there that isn't mounted to the building itself is doable. So I'm looking for an installer in Chicago (city proper) that may have experience with similar situations and can help. If that is you PLEASE PM me, or if you know of one I can contact please respond!

If that can't work, then I'm going to have to start looking at place shifting options. Ideally I'd like to be able to stream from my parents' place in AZ to my HD TV here with the best picture quality possible. I know a few years ago this was possible with A SlingBox there and a SlingCatcher here. But since the SlingCatcher has been discontinued I am looking for a similar alternative. Any suggestions?

As a last resort I can just install a SlingBox there and then attempt to run my computer into my TV here, shooting for HD quality. I have zero experience doing this and wouldn't even know where to start or if my comp's graphics card or whatever is even capable of it...but I'm willing to try!

I'm just a guy trying to get my Football games on my couch so I don't have to deal with going to a bar every Saturday and Sunday! Any help you may have is of course greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this novel!

If the cable vault for the building is in fact on the roof, then you are in a very good position. You need to use a non-penetrating roof mount. Basically it's a big metal sled that uses concrete blocks to weigh it down. No drilling required. The dish can then be tied into the cable line that feeds your apartment unit. It may sweeten your odds with the board if you offer to pay the initial cost for a dish that can be used by multiple tenants, so they don't wind up with a dish farm on the roof (that is a valid concern that they may put out there - if they let you put a dish, then they have to let everyone put a dish). But by all means try for yourself first - if they shoot you down suggest the multiple tenant dish.

Last edited:
First of all let me apologize in advance for the lengthy post. Here is my situation.

I moved from AZ to Chicago a while back. Here in Chicago I live in a high rise that only has Comcast as an option. I moved my D* service to my parents' house in AZ to keep my legacy receivers (H20 and HR20) active and not lose saved recordings on there. With football season fast approaching I am looking for a solution to have access to my D* service here in Chi, either by moving my service here or installing a SlingBox type device there and streaming.

I live on the 3rd floor of a 14 floor high rise. The building is protected as a historic building so there is no option to attach a dish to it. My windows face North and West. That is the bad news. The good news I have just gotten from building management is that the Comcast lines come in from the roof so this gives me some hope.

My first choice is to have D* installed here but attaching a dish to the roof in any capacity requires board approval and all sorts of hoops and BS that I'm not interested in stirring. I get the impression putting something up there that isn't mounted to the building itself is doable. So I'm looking for an installer in Chicago (city proper) that may have experience with similar situations and can help. If that is you PLEASE PM me, or if you know of one I can contact please respond!

If that can't work, then I'm going to have to start looking at place shifting options. Ideally I'd like to be able to stream from my parents' place in AZ to my HD TV here with the best picture quality possible. I know a few years ago this was possible with A SlingBox there and a SlingCatcher here. But since the SlingCatcher has been discontinued I am looking for a similar alternative. Any suggestions?

As a last resort I can just install a SlingBox there and then attempt to run my computer into my TV here, shooting for HD quality. I have zero experience doing this and wouldn't even know where to start or if my comp's graphics card or whatever is even capable of it...but I'm willing to try!

I'm just a guy trying to get my Football games on my couch so
I don't have to deal with going to a bar every Saturday and Sunday!
Any help you may have is of course greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this novel!

What is wrong with doing that? :)

If the cable vault for the building is in fact on the roof, then you are in a very good position. You need to use a non-penetrating roof mount. Basically it's a big metal sled that uses concrete blocks to weigh it down. No drilling required. The dish can then be tied into the cable line that feeds your apartment unit. It may sweeten your odds with the board if you offer to pay the initial cost for a dish that can be used by multiple tenants, so they don't wind up with a dish farm on the roof (that is a valid concern that they may put out there - if they let you put a dish, then they have to let everyone put a dish). But by all means try for yourself first - if they shoot you down suggest the multiple tenant dish.

Great! I wasn't familiar with a non-penetrating roof mount but I will look into it more. Is that something most intallers have or is it something I will need to go out and get on my own to give to the installer?

Great! I wasn't familiar with a non-penetrating roof mount but I will look into it more. Is that something most intallers have or is it something I will need to go out and get on my own to give to the installer?

It's something you'll have to specifically request and pay extra for (they're less than $100). Not sure if the installers would carry them "just in case", so best to specify it when you call for the install - that way they know they'll need it.

"Comcast lines come in from the roof...?"

You want to verify that. Perhaps they used an elevator shaft to disperse their lines. The other thing you need to verify is that the cable runs have no splitters.

Go slow. Expect additional charges. Get your landlord to give you written permission to put the non pen mount on the roof AND use the building cable runs.

Joe

"Comcast lines come in from the roof...?"

You want to verify that. Perhaps they used an elevator shaft to disperse their lines. The other thing you need to verify is that the cable runs have no splitters.

It doesn't matter how they go through the building. They terminate in a vault on the roof and that's all that matters. There might be a splitter or two inside his unit (which wouldn't be a problem with SWiM, they just have to be replaced with SWiM splitters), but it will definitely not be split along the way to other units. They are home runs from each unit to the vault. Otherwise Comcrap wouldn't be able to disconnect one unit without affecting others.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts