Need Help Getting Started With FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

joeysules

Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
usa
Hi Everyone, Long story short, I hate the cable company and looking for a alternative that does not come with a monthly bill. I started reading about FTA and dont know where to start. All i want is TV with some channels-sports would be nice. I am in Massachusetts Usa, and would like to know what reviver and dish i should buy to start with. Any idea on what or how many channels i would get? I tried reading the forum,but there was a overload of info.Thanks for your help!!!:)

a Ku setup with a 36 inch dish would get you the Ku band satellites (5 digit freqs 11700 to 12300) and have the smallest footprint in the yard. To get the C band satellites (4 digit fres, 3600 to 4200) requires AT LEAST a six foot dish. Preferably a 10 foot to get the most, but not guaranteeing all. If you're into sports, you might want an Azbox as it decodes 4.2.2 video and DVB-S2(it's the only brand that does 4.2.2) Seems a lot of sports feeds are using this video format, but not all. so you may get your feet wet with a DVB-S HD model receiver that doesn't do 4.2.2. which can be found on ebay for cheap. There's a lot on C that is using DVB-S2 modulation. And if you decide to forgo 4.2.2 but still want HD and S2, There's the SSO (solomend, sathawk or openbox) new for under 200 bucks. Breakdown of model types (least capable to most capable)
DVB-S (SD) - My pansat 3500 is in this catagory
DVB-S (HD) -
DVB-S2 (SD+HD, DVB-S+DVB-S2) My Pansat 9200 and the Openbox is in this catagory
Azbo:mad:Adds 4.2.2 decoding natively)
Mike Kohl has a nice reference to see what's up 24/7 at MPEG Central And where. Oh! hey, WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

Hey thanks for the quick reply.This is the exact info i needed to get me started. Thanks Satellite guys!!

I'll clarify a bit: DVB= Digital Video Broadcast, S= first generation, S2= Second generation. if you see 4PSK that's DVB-S. 8PSK is DVB-S2, or may be shortened to S2. (there is a scheme where 4PSK can be Second generation, DVB-S2.) MPEG-4(H-264 or AVC) usually infers an HD receiver is required. (Check the receiver specs)
Another thing that's utmost important, is your LOS. (Line Of Site) Are you able to see the satellites you're interested in? Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com will draw a green line, from your position, to the selected satellite. Zoom in, and check the "show obstacle" box. place it's marker on the green line on a potential obstruction and it will output the height where it will be a problem. If the obstruction is lower, no problem.

i think the best stater/basic system would be a 36-39 inch dish with motor and an openbox s9/10 HD receiver....that is assuming you have an HD TV....although setting up a motorized dish will be very complicated for a beginner....

I started out alittle more than a year ago with a setup similar to what Mikey above described and since that added a motorized 6 footer for the c-band.Really gotten addicted to this hobby.

Welcome to Satguys.

Even whats been stated can be overwhelming to a beginner, so let me try to simplify even that stated above.

You'll need a dish that is at least 30 inches (36 inches would be better). Look around your neighborhood, if you see one that is tilted, or you see one at a house that also has a dishnet or directv dish, you might get lucky, ask if they would like it taken down. If you want a dish quicker than finding one already up but unwanted, look at the gold sponsors listed at the top of this and every page, they can set you up/

You'll need a LINEAR LNB, not the one's you find on dishnet and direcTv, those are circular. Again, look to our gold sponsors for your first LNB, then later you can add to that with more LNBs as you get more addicted to this hobby.

You'll need a receiver. Look on eBay for a SIMPLE receiver that will get you entry into the hobby. I started with a complicated receiver but found that you can find inexpensive receivers on eBay that will and can get you started. These can be found for around $25 to $50 plus shipping. If you find one you like, ask here in this forum and people will come out of the walls to tell you their experiences with that particular receiver.

Check out satfinder dot com and look at your site, this will give you a great idea what satellites you can receive. You will need a south facing area to place your dish.

Most receivers (I could probably say ALL receivers, but some one will correct me) will receive both KU and C Band satellites, so you can start with a smaller KU band dish, then later, if space permits you can add to your dish (collection) as needed.

I would start with a stationary dish, then as you get accomplished in finding satellites, add a motor to your dish and see what that will open up for you.

So, dish + LNB + receiver = instant addiction to a wonderful hobby.

Do NOT expect to find all that you had on cable with FTA. It just AIN'T gonna' happen, but FTA will open a wonderful world of TV that you haven't been aware of until you get there, so enjoy what you find, chat about it here and keep reading, it will become clearer to you as you experiance the fun of aiming your dish and pulling in signals from places you never knew existed.

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)