Need help going from 3 TVs to 2.

Smiley79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Evansville, IN
Needing some help going from 3 TVs to 2. I have a VIP622 and a Dish 522 (which was originally hooked up to 2 TVs). What I want to do is take away one of the TVs from the 522 and hook it up in Single mode (to be able to use the dual tuner on one set). My VIP 622 is hooked up as such:
DPP44 switch-----DPP Power Inserter------DPP Separator----2 cables going to 622.

The 522 setup is a little different. It comes out of the switch (using 2 cables) without all of the other stuff (I'm assuming because the receiver is one of the older ones). Is it possible to combine the 2 cables originally used into one line then splitting it back up to go back into the receiver? Sort of like:
DPP switch----2 cables------Diplexor------cable-------Diplexor-------2 cables------522

I've looked around and noticed some people using diplexors to combine 2 lines into 1. If that won't work, what else could I use for this setup?

You could run the 522 off the DPP44 switch using a single cable with a separator. Power inserter is needed on Port 1 of the switch. Diplexers combine UHF/VHF and satellite signals into one cable.

RandallA said:
You could run the 522 off the DPP44 switch using a single cable with a separator. Power inserter is needed on Port 1 of the switch. Diplexers combine UHF/VHF and satellite signals into one cable.

Thanks for the reply. I tried using one of the two cables with a separator on the end (going to the 522), but it still wouldn't accept it. I had to use a diplexor on the end with the two cables, which combined them into one. Then on the other end, I separated the one into two cables that fed into the 522. Sort of like this:
DPP44----2 cables---diplexor----one cable-----separator----2 cables------522

Now my last question is, is there a difference between a separator and a splitter, with the same rating? Thanks for the help.

Smiley79 said:
Thanks for the reply. I tried using one of the two cables with a separator on the end (going to the 522), but it still wouldn't accept it. I had to use a diplexor on the end with the two cables, which combined them into one. Then on the other end, I separated the one into two cables that fed into the 522. Sort of like this:
DPP44----2 cables---diplexor----one cable-----separator----2 cables------522

Now my last question is, is there a difference between a separator and a splitter, with the same rating? Thanks for the help.
Is the 522 connected to two tv's or one?..If one, you do not need the diplexer..That device serves only to allow a backfeed to tv #2....If two tv's are connected the diplexer allows backfeed of the tv 2 output along the inbound cable from the GND block.
schematic......for 522 to one tv
dish----GND-----44----single line----seperator-----tuners one and two
schenmatic for a 522 to two tv's...
dish----GND----44----single line----short jumper to sat port on diplexer----single line diplexer in house-----single line from sat port-----seperator---tuners one and two---single line from VHF/TV port-----ch21-69 port on 522...
A word of notice....If you use two cables ,one for each tuner on the 522 do not use the seperator....it is unecessary..the seperator isfor one purpose only..For a single line to to TUNERS one and two.....
here's a suggestion....see if you can snap a couple of digital pics and post them....

the diplexors don't combine two into one they allow for backfeeds. if you're coming off the 44 switch you only need one cable into the seperator. to put it in single mode just turn the power off on tv2 and press the mode button on the front panel.

Ok, let me see if I can clear up the questions. I have 2 receivers, a 622 and a 522. The 622 is run to my main TV only for my living room (Power inserter & separator also going to this TV). The 522 was going to 2 different TVs (bedroom 1 & 2), but I wanted to install it in only one bedroom, and use both tuners on that one TV. Being I already had the original 2 lines coming from the switch and going to the 2 bedrooms, I wanted a way to combine the 2 lines into one or just get one of the lines to work for both tuners.

By running both lines into both tuners, I got "Check switch" errors (only one side worked) (and that was with the 522 turned on in Single mode). The only way I was able to get things to work for both tuners (the way it's hooked up right now) it to take the 2 lines coming from the switch, hook them up to a diplexor, take that single cable and run it to a separator, take the 2 lines from the separator and feed them into both tuners (and both sides work just fine).

If I could take pictures, I would, but I don't have a digital camera. By my last description, I was able to get everything working. I appreciate the advice.

if you want the 522 to be to one tv only you need one rg6 line in to the seperator.
if you want to hook up tv2 then you run the one rg6 line into a diplexor sat in port from the sat out port run rg6 to the receiver into another diplexor at the receiver. tv2 port goes into the vhf port sat out port goes into the seperator. either way you only need one rg6 line coming off that 44 switch. if it is not working with the seperator then it is a bad seperator.

Number of TVs in use has NOTHING to do with what you need from the switch.

DNSGuy has it right (wow), ONE cable from DPP44 to DPP Separator.

If you need to get a TV output signal out of the room the receiver is in, and you need to share a cable, then and ONLY then do you use diplexers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)