Need Help Hooking Up System.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tanuki

Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
I moved into a house (5 years ago) with a QuadStar 7.5' Laser C/KU mesh & and Wingard LNB, there is also a Drake Drake ESR 1724. I'm been thinking about it forever and finally decided to try to get this thing hooked up.

My goal is to get NHK and Channel J off PAS 9 which are FTA according to FTASATELLITE.COM.

Does anyone know how to hook up the wires.

I have a Red, Black and White wire (all the same size) that go to the Polarizer Motor. But I don't know which one corresponds to the +5V, Pulse and GND.

I have another set of wires that go to the Actuator Motor, large Red, large White, green, orange, brown and a bare metal. Which should match up to GND, Position Sensor, +5V, M1 and M2. But I don't know what goes where.
Notes on M1 "Supply Voltage for the Actuator Motor"
Note on M2 "Second connection for actuator power supply".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The polarizer wires are easy. Put the red one on the 5v terminal, and the other two are usually interchangeable-receiver switches one for the other if you got the pulse in the ground wire slot. Normally though, white for pulse and black for ground.
Motor wires will be diff guage, the 2 bigger ones are the motor power. M1, M2 etc. Hook them up and watch the dish, while you try to move the dish east or west with remote. If it goes west when you push East button, reverse the wires.
The smaller wires are for the actuator's position sensor, that tells the rec where the motor is in its travel. I only need 2 of the smaller wires on my cband receiver, which is a Gen Instruments, but they are mostly the same.
Green to pulse and brown to ground. Don't hook up any of the small wires to 12v by accident or you can blow the sensor in the motor housing.
Check the manuals-section here also, there may be a manual avail for that receiver.

Welcome to the group

motor wires

big white & big red = M1 & M2
small orange = ground
small green = pulse

polorotor wires ( three small wires together)
red = +5V
black = Ground
white = hat symbol or pulse output (depends on what unit on how its marked)

hope this helps

I see turbosat beat me to the answer :)

also you will need a DVB receiver to receive the channel listed above.... also TV JAPAN on Galaxy 13

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your responce. It worked perfectly up to the "Remote Control" part. I can change satellites with the buttons on the front of the reciever and the dish moves..... Yahoooo.
So I bought the FortecStar reciever when it was on sale over Christmas. I can't pass up a good deal and I figured I would use it. In order to hook this dish up to that reciever I'm guessing I would need a Positioner to translate DiSEqC 1.2 to Big Dish language but I'm not really sure what the Polarizer Motor does and how I would hook that up to the new reciever.:confused:

I guess I'm trying to figure out what it would take to hook this dish up to the new reciever or if I should just buy the remote control off of ebay (there just happens to be one for 26 bucks).

All thoughts on the subject welcomed.:eek:

You guys are fast on the responces. So I guess I should go with the new reciever since I will need it hooked up anyways. So that just leaves the question of: How do I hook up my Polarizer Moter to the FortecStar?

Lot of people just use the big dish/motor to move the dish when watching
tv from the digital receiver. Only drawback is having to switch polarity when blind-scanning. Polarity is either horizontal or vertical on the satellites we watch for FTA. The format is opposite on the satellites that are
next door to each other, as in Satellite A at 100degrees will have Odd channels on c-band as vertical polarity, even #channels will be horizontal, while Satellite B, 2 degrees away in space, will have just the opposite polarity scheme. (just an example, there is no satellite A that I know about)
You'll get it after you play around with it awhile.

I'd say yes, you need the splitters if you want to run a sep fta receiver. Don't know if there are any other options, someone else has prob done it a different way. Maybe they will add in for you here.

You will need to use the high frequency splitters because only that type of splitter will pass the high frequency output from the LNB. 900 mhz or 1 ghz splitters won't work, you will need the more expensive 2 ghz models.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)