Need help - new install

cedarboy

Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Sorry, this is a little long but I am pissed with my association and need to rant :(

I recently moved to my own townhouse. The house backs into the woods. It has two decks one in the basement and the other on the main floor facing the woods. The installer came about 10 days back. He said it is impossible to get the line of sight from the deck on the main floor because of the woods and he would have to install it on the roof. I was sure of the Association rules with respect to the roof so I asked him to install it close to the roof but on the sliding of the roof as I had seen it installed by others similarly.

Few days later, the property manager calls me and says that I cannot install it on the sliding as it is a common element. The only places I can install are the patio, deck or balcony. It seems this rule came into effect just a few years back and those (about 30 houses in the complex have installed dishes anywhere from the roof of the garage, sliding of the garage roof, facia etc). With this rule, the only applicable area for me then is the deck as I don't have a patio or balcony.

My questions are
1. Has anyone had a similar experience of installing a dish from a deck with a very tall mount? If not, any suggestions? I have asked Dish Network to send another installer to see if something can be achieved from the deck. If he isn't successful, I will have to probably cancel my subscription. I am still within the 30 day period, so I should be okay. But I want to keep that as a last resort.
2. Can the association legally apply a rule for only new house owners and allow the earlier homeowners to keep the dishes installed violating the new rules?
3. The association also has a special rule wherein a dish can be installed on the roof if one is not getting signal from the patio,deck or balcony. But there is a lot of documentation and procedure involved...here's a snapshot
QUOTE: The homeowner must agree, fulfill the following and await written verification from the Association before they may proceed.
a) Complete the Association’s Satellite Application Form
b) Submit a filing fee to Condo. Assoc. in the amount of $100
c) Complete the License Agreement. This agreement is recorded, by the BHCA attorney, with the county against the homeowner and unit deed.

d) Supply a letter from the Satellite Vendor stating that reception cannot be attained from the homeowner / unit #’s patio / deck / balcony.

e) Stipulate the size dish that is to be utilized, must be the smallest unit available
f) The dish must be labeled with the unit, in 2” numbers on the top rear portion.
g) Homeowner must maintain and provide proof annually of liability insurance, written to the association management.

h) Agree to place the dish on the rear roof of your building at 36” from the roof ridge
END QUOTE

As you can see this process could take upto a month before I get any approval. Does this seem legal as per FCC regulations? I read the regulation and it seems the association can put restrictions but cannot make me incur extra cost as a result of that.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. THANKS!!

Thanks Webbydude....I am not sure how tall would be enough. I will have to get my installer to tell me that height.
I just want to understand if there are "creative" solutions out there that can help my situation. The fact that you have a installed a 8 foot pole mounted in a tripod gives me some hope. Do you have any pictures that you can share of how it is installed and the exact placement of the tripod? Do you think installation with a pole can go higher than 8 feet? 10 feet?

Well, that's where it gets problematic. At this point, most tripod installs are considered custom work...and as such, are custom pay situations. A lot of DNS installers won't touch them. My recommendation is to call up a local retailer. For starters, he can probably get to you much faster for the initial install; not to mention most handle custom work.

I'll have to dig around on my spare (AKA, my son's) computer to find a picture of an install I did with a 6 foot pole on a tripod...mounted at the peak of a roof. Granted, it may not give you the full representation of what you're asking for, but it does show there are "creative solutions.

Good luck...!

EDIT!! Not the best picture...but definitely one of a 6 footer on a tripod

Attachments

• IM000537.JPG
    IM000537.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Thanks a lot, webbydude....if you can get that picture, I would certainly appreciate it.

I will check with some local installers...

Is that a 2 level or 3 level townhouse? But more specifically, how high is it from the deck to the location it was installed?

Side Note: Ask the property manager if he would prefer a 39 inch dish (1 meter) mounted on a pole that extended above the highest point of the roof making it visible to all of the neighbors on the other side of the street as well as other streets.

I guess with most townhomes, the outside walls and the roof of each individual unit are owned by the association, while a few are not.

Your first mistake was moving into a place with a condo/homeowners association. With that aside, check the CCR's that you were supposed to receive at settlement. The rules/requirements should have been in these documents. As to placement of the dish, I think that the FCC rules would override any Condo/Homeowners rules. I also don't quite understand the application form. Do you "own" your townhouse or just the interior? I also would appeal the decision of the property manager requiring you to reposition the dish. Cite the pre-existing dishes as precedent.

If they condo has central cabling, you could in theory tie into that. Simply install one dish by the main junction box, then several tenents could tie into that one dish. It's a great system for condos/apartments but so many landloards and managers are so brainwashed about dishes they can't see the benefits it will provide them.

Also, another custom install thingy: If the condo is really picky about PENETRATING the roof, you could do two non-penetrating flat mounts tied together over the peak of the roof. Just make sure to wire them together very very well so they don't slide down either side. You'd have to use some cinder blocks to weigh both sides down. Then just mount the dish to one of those.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond to my questions.

The DNS guy came over on Saturday and again confirmed that I can get only the 61.5 but not the 129 (??) from my balcony. So my options are to leave the dishes where they are installed currently and hope the association doesn't create issues or cancel the service within the 30 day period.

I am almost inclined to cancel the service because Cablevision is offering me the triple play that saves me the $$$ over E* not only during the first year but after the promotion. Though E* offers more HD, I don't watch most of them anyway.
The only positive I see staying with E* is that I get International channels and those too I watch only when my parents or relatives come over.

Thanks again for responding.

The HOA cannot impose restrictions that cause you to get lower reception nor can they impose restrictions that make you pay more for installation of your satellite equipment.

The FCC rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

It appears that your HOA is very close, if not across the line on some of it's restrictions, including the $100 fee and having to wait for approval.

Look at this FCC document: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Permit fees and prior approval are illegal.

You may install ANY satellite antenna under 1 meter in size (the HOA has NO say at all if it is under 1 meter) in any area that is not common.

Your patio seems to be OK. If you install either where they designate or in the "exclusive use area" the HOA has no right to ask for a fee or delay the install, unless it is for legitimate safety concerns or historic preservation.

The burden of proof is on the HOA, and if the FCC rules against you, you have 21 days to remove the device without penalty of any kind.

These FCC rules are broad and encompasing in favor of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)