Need Help quick - Coax question, installer coming tomorrow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

off a cough

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I am dumping cable for DTV. I am, however, keeping my cable modem.

I am getting an HR20 receiver in one room, and two standard receivers elsewhere in the house. Definitely high def in the one room, and the need for local channels.

I have the [SIZE=-1]On-Que wiring terminal in a server closet (yes, I am a geek), and there are 3 RG6 runs from outside of the house.

I'm trying to figure out if I need a 4th run of RG6, I would like to pull this in myself rather than let an installer screw it up.

From what I'm reading, I'm going to need 2 RG6 runs into the HR20, plus a third for an external antenna? This seems different than Dish (which I had before), where local channels did not require another run.

I need to understand - quickly - how many runs I need into the wiring closet, where any splitters will sit, and how many need to go directly into the HR20.

Thanks for the help!
[/SIZE]

I am dumping cable for DTV. I am, however, keeping my cable modem.

I am getting an HR20 receiver in one room, and two standard receivers elsewhere in the house. Definitely high def in the one room, and the need for local channels.

I have the [SIZE=-1]On-Que wiring terminal in a server closet (yes, I am a geek), and there are 3 RG6 runs from outside of the house.

I'm trying to figure out if I need a 4th run of RG6, I would like to pull this in myself rather than let an installer screw it up.

From what I'm reading, I'm going to need 2 RG6 runs into the HR20, plus a third for an external antenna? This seems different than Dish (which I had before), where local channels did not require another run.

I need to understand - quickly - how many runs I need into the wiring closet, where any splitters will sit, and how many need to go directly into the HR20.

Thanks for the help!
[/SIZE]

You will need two cables for the dvr's two tuners, one for the dvr's ota tuner, and one each for the sd receivers' tuners. You cannot diplex an ota antenna with the new ka band signals, but you can with the sd receivers. Also, you cannot split the cable from the dish, you must have a dedicated line to each tuner.

You will need two cables for the dvr's two tuners, one for the dvr's ota tuner, and one each for the sd receivers' tuners. You cannot diplex an ota antenna with the new ka band signals, but you can with the sd receivers. Also, you cannot split the cable from the dish, you must have a dedicated line to each tuner.

I have three coax runs from outside the house coming into the wiring closet. There is AC power and a distribution panel that has runs:

2 RG6 to the HD TV
2 RG6 to one SD TV
1 RG6 to one SD TV

It sounds like no matter what else I do, I'm going to have to have a 3rd coax run to the HD TV. I'm thinking the OTA antenna might have to come in through the outside of the house.

Damnit, this is disappointing. I have very clean wiring in my house and I'm not thrilled about the mess that most installers create. :mad:

You could try diplexing after the B-band converter, meaning the B-band converter would be in the wiring closet, but if you can feasibly pull a new cable, that'd probably be best.

First, thanks for everyone's help so far.

I did some searching, and it looks like I'm not going to need an OTA antenna - I live in the Indy area and it appears that DTV has HD broadcasts of my local channels, at least the ones that matter.

I guess my big question at this point is - with an HR20 and/or HR21 in one room, and two SD receivers elsewhere in the house, how many coax runs need to come into the house from the dish?

I have three runs, but need one for the cable modem. I still need to figure out if I need to run more coax.

No matter if a satellite company has the HD's via satellite or not I'd get an OTA on my setup.

Nothing like getting it from the source without another middle man, and works great during the few times there is feed issues.

No matter if a satellite company has the HD's via satellite or not I'd get an OTA on my setup.

Nothing like getting it from the source without another middle man, and works great during the few times there is feed issues.

I get your point, and I tend to agree. After dumping Dish largely due to piss-poor customer service and incompetent accounting, we found that we enjoyed still having local weather during the same severe storms that faded out satellite reception. Big deal in the Midwest.

However, this does give me some time... I don't need to do this right away and I would prefer to not pay an installer for the extra service... I'll figure it out in good time. The move to DTV was a bit more of a shotgun decision than I would have normally done, so I've obviously missed some details.

You will need four runs from the dish to the multi switch. It will be a Zinwell 6X8 switch. Four of the inputs are from the dish, two additional ones are for other potential services', not OTA.
The HR20 will need two runs from the mulitswitch and a third if you want OTA. Avoid diplexing with the B band converter at the multiswitch unless you absolutely have to.
Any non recording/ Non HD tuner will need only one run. These runs can be diplexed to provide OTA if desired. Any HD tuner will be using a B band converter

You will need four runs from the dish to the multi switch. It will be a Zinwell 6X8 switch. Four of the inputs are from the dish, two additional ones are for other potential services', not OTA.
The HR20 will need two runs from the mulitswitch and a third if you want OTA. Avoid diplexing with the B band converter at the multiswitch unless you absolutely have to.
Any non recording/ Non HD tuner will need only one run. These runs can be diplexed to provide OTA if desired. Any HD tuner will be using a B band converter

Holy crap! :eek: Does DTV get kick-back from coax manufacturers?

Sounds like I'm definitely going to need to have additional runs made... damnit, they need better technology. :mad:

Holy crap! :eek: Does DTV get kick-back from coax manufacturers?

Sounds like I'm definitely going to need to have additional runs made... damnit, they need better technology. :mad:

They are working on it, it's a new switch called the Single Wire Module. It takes four feeds from the dish and allows for one coax to be used vs. three. It's been in testing with a number of folks for about 7 or 8 months. Rumor is that some areas of the country now have it available for new installs but no word when it will be available nationally. Check out DBSTalk.Com for more info.

They are working on it, it's a new switch called the Single Wire Module. It takes four feeds from the dish and allows for one coax to be used vs. three. It's been in testing with a number of folks for about 7 or 8 months. Rumor is that some areas of the country now have it available for new installs but no word when it will be available nationally. Check out DBSTalk.Com for more info.

Too late for me, I had to cut out some drywall in my garage, and they just ran 4 new runs of coax. The advantage is that I was able to locate the satellite in a better location from an asthetic perspective, since we had to run the coax from a new location.

The installers are pretty good folks.

I have three coax runs from outside the house coming into the wiring closet. There is AC power and a distribution panel that has runs:

2 RG6 to the HD TV
2 RG6 to one SD TV
1 RG6 to one SD TV

It sounds like no matter what else I do, I'm going to have to have a 3rd coax run to the HD TV. I'm thinking the OTA antenna might have to come in through the outside of the house.

Damnit, this is disappointing. I have very clean wiring in my house and I'm not thrilled about the mess that most installers create. :mad:
==============
"most installers" are not happy about the extra wire for the recorders either.
That was just added as a little extra free work. Wire four can come out of a hole in the floor or through a wall with your installation.An inside the wall cable run with a box and plate may not be that messy but will cost you.

You might consider diplexing the OTA with the HD line. Move the BBC from the back of the DVR to ahead of the diplexer near the dish. See what it looks like..might work.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts