Need help selecting new package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SuperHubby

Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
Michigan
First time poster and not to swift at this stuff so be easy on me! Looking for some recommendations on an updated Dish Network setup before I call customer service and/or look at DirectTV. I’m a long time Dish customer off contract about 8 years or so and haven’t had an upgrade. So I’ve got SD on a 522 DVR running two TV’s and a 311 running two more. The 311 travels with me on our RV a couple times a year where I have another dish500 satellite dish that I’m able to aim. I would like to be able to continue transporting a receiver as needed if at all possible. SD even would be fine, but of course HD-DVR would be better!
At my main home we want to go to HD for 3 or 4 TV’s with DVR access at each. Currently we have Americas Choice200 I think, that’s old stuff and for the $85 we’re paying seems like we should be able to get into a good HD setup. I like the looks of the hopper/joeys, can one of these be transported in my RV if I buy an extra dish?
I do have a tough install at home though, if new cable is needed. It has to run about 100ft between my garage roof and house, about 50ft of it underground, then into a crawlspace at the house. Is this something that needs upgrading over the dish 500 coax? If so can I get a free install on this after all my years of being a customer?
Any input and advice appreciated!

sounds like a 2 hopper 2 joey setup for the house
install is not standard, and i doubt it would be free

as far as the rv you may be able to keep the unit you have, but i think i read it has to be a 211?
someone else will know better

If you are going to have 3-4 HDTVs and want DVR access on them all then the Hopper system should be great for you. As for the RV you can buy a 211k which is the only non Hopper receiver that be added to the account. You would also want to upgrade the Dish 500 to a Dish 1000.2. It's possible that the cable you are using now would work just fine. Be aware that you bill would increase by going to the Hopper system as well. The DVR fee is $10 in stead of $6 now and each TV you put a Hopper or Joey at would be $7.

With you current system you pay 13$ in fees. Dvr fee 6 + 311 rec 7.
If you do a 4 room hopper plus the 211 for rv you would pay 38$ in fees.

Great info thanks guys!
So the 211k is an HD receiver that I would buy, so there isn’t a per month fee on that one? How much do they cost? It appears I can get an external hard drive to act as a DVR too on the 211. Would it be possible to also use this rec’r as the fourth TV at home, have it swap DVR content with the hopper for viewing in the RV when we take it with us? Seems like this would require another dish mounted on the garage, one for the hopper, two for the 211, one of which is the RV’s?

Great info thanks guys!
So the 211k is an HD receiver that I would buy, so there isn’t a per month fee on that one? How much do they cost? It appears I can get an external hard drive to act as a DVR too on the 211. Would it be possible to also use this rec’r as the fourth TV at home, have it swap DVR content with the hopper for viewing in the RV when we take it with us? Seems like this would require another dish mounted on the garage, one for the hopper, two for the 211, one of which is the RV’s?
even if you buy a receiver there is a monthly fee
the 211 could not be used at home, unless you put in another sat and ran seperate wires, dish does not allow hte hopperjoey to mix with other units

You might be ahead to spring for a self aiming Tailgator antenna for the RV. But they ain't cheap.

And you MUST buy the 211 series, you cannot lease it with Hopper. Around $100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts