Need Help Settting up Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cplayer5

Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Birmingham, al
I really need some help here. Im trying to get satellite at the hunting camp but keep running into problems. The guy that was there last left a standard DTV dish and LNB on the trailer, a DTV receiver and a DN receiver. It is apparently a dual LNB with two connections. I brought my Dish Network VIP 722 reciever just in case. I hooked up the receiver and TV to the satellite to begin trying to point the dish because there was no signal once connected. We got the signal to 65 and locked the dish down. The receiver started downloading the program guide, after it was finished, it went to the complete signal loss screen. I went back to the screen to check for signal and it was 0, not locked. Did this several times but never worked. My neighbor had a Dish 500 dish and I tried that one as well, signal wouldnt get above 35. I put in the zipcode of my location and it told me to search for 110 and 119 but I could never get it to stay locked. At home, my settings are Zip 00000, Dish 500, Input 1, Transponder 25, Satellite 72. Should I try these at the camp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I really need some help here. Im trying to get satellite at the hunting camp but keep running into problems. The guy that was there last left a standard DTV dish and LNB on the trailer, a DTV receiver and a DN receiver. It is apparently a dual LNB with two connections. I brought my Dish Network VIP 722 reciever just in case. I hooked up the receiver and TV to the satellite to begin trying to point the dish because there was no signal once connected. We got the signal to 65 and locked the dish down. The receiver started downloading the program guide, after it was finished, it went to the complete signal loss screen. I went back to the screen to check for signal and it was 0, not locked. Did this several times but never worked. My neighbor had a Dish 500 dish and I tried that one as well, signal wouldnt get above 35. I put in the zipcode of my location and it told me to search for 110 and 119 but I could never get it to stay locked. At home, my settings are Zip 00000, Dish 500, Input 1, Transponder 25, Satellite 72. Should I try these at the camp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you want help why are you hiding information Zip 00000?

Hi, are you trying to use the DTV dish with the Dish receiver? It would help to know exactly what you are working with. If you want the Dish satellite at 72.7W, try TP 19, That one has CNN on it and is strong. If you can lock it peak on it then try TP 06. That one is a lot weaker for me anyway. BTW - did you run a check switch on the receiver? If so what did it list as the LNB? I will check the El and AZ for you. Later, DC

A "standard" Directv dish will only see one orbital slot so you'd be limited to what satellite you are aimed at

But I would run a check switch first with nothing hooked up to clear out the switch matrix. Then go from there

Hi again, looks you you should be looking at an El of 48.2 and a Az (Mag) of 161.4 for the 72.7 satellite from zip 36272.

If you are trying to setup the Dish 500 for 61.5 and 72.7 it looks like the skew should be 65 degrees. If you are just trying to get 72.7 then the skew does not matter.

If you are trying to use the DTV dish and it has a dual LNB you might want to put some aluminum foil on one side and just try to find 72.7

Hope this helps, DC

If you are trying to use the DTV dish and it has a dual LNB you might want to put some aluminum foil on one side and just try to find 72.7
a dual LNB only has one eyeball ;)

The Directv Phase III has 3 separate LNB eyeballs

The LNB has two connectors but I only have one connected, will I be able to pick up two sattelites with only one connection? I will try a test switch first and then hook up the dish and try again. It just seemed strange that I could get a signal strength of 65 on sat 110 but it would drop off. I dont have the particulars on the LNB, I didnt think to write them down. Im going to the camp again this weekend and will try again, Im just trying to get my ducks in a row before I go. The LNB was on a DTV dish, I moved the LNB to a Dish Network dish and its connected to a Dish Network VIP 722. I noticed the DTV dish didnt have a skew adjustment, and when we would swing the mounting base to mimic scew, thats when we got the 65 signal. Thanks for the help.

I have HD channels at home and would like to get them at the camp as well, is this possible or would I need a LNB with 3 eyes? Looks like this LNB has one eye but two connectors, I guess it has an internal switch?

That dish is the original Directv dish. It can see one satellite...thats it
no switches in it
you would need both connections to the 722 for it to work

and again you will only see one satellite slot....so 72, 61, 119, 110, 129. Just one of them...no more

Better option would be to use a Dish 500 and tune to 61.5 & 72 OR 119 & 129. You'd get HD and most of the SD stations

The LNB has two connectors but I only have one connected, will I be able to pick up two sattelites with only one connection? I will try a test switch first and then hook up the dish and try again. It just seemed strange that I could get a signal strength of 65 on sat 110 but it would drop off. I dont have the particulars on the LNB, I didnt think to write them down. Im going to the camp again this weekend and will try again, Im just trying to get my ducks in a row before I go. The LNB was on a DTV dish, I moved the LNB to a Dish Network dish and its connected to a Dish Network VIP 722. I noticed the DTV dish didnt have a skew adjustment, and when we would swing the mounting base to mimic scew, thats when we got the 65 signal. Thanks for the help.
Hi, not sure mixing the LNB from one companies dish to another is a good idea. Perhaps Iceberg can fill us both in on this. I don't know too much about the DTV dishes but I would think if the dish did not have a skew adjustment then it must be for use with just one satellite. If it was me I would either put the DTV LNB back on the DTV dish and shoot for 72.7 or if you have a Dish 500 and the DPPlus dual LNB I would shoot for 61.5 and 72.7. Regarding getting HD on just one satellite, yes you can but you need to check to see if all the channels you want are on just one satellite. There is a lot of HD on 72.7 now but a lot of the locals are on 61.5 and some on 77. The best thing to do is to check the list link above and see what's on what satellite or if the receiver is still hooked up at home just check the channels you want by hitting the info button twice on the remote. Hope this helps, DC

That dish is the original Directv dish. It can see one satellite...thats it
no switches in it
you would need both connections to the 722 for it to work

and again you will only see one satellite slot....so 72, 61, 119, 110, 129. Just one of them...no more

Better option would be to use a Dish 500 and tune to 61.5 & 72 OR 119 & 129. You'd get HD and most of the SD stations

So the LNB I have will only see one satellite if used with the Direct TV dish, but I could see 2 if I use the same LNB on the Dish 500 dish? Just want to make sure Im reading right. Right now the LNB is on the Dish 500 dish with only one connection made to the LNB. I appreciate your patience, this is the first time Ive ever had to aim one myself!

So the LNB I have will only see one satellite if used with the Direct TV dish, but I could see 2 if I use the same LNB on the Dish 500 dish? Just want to make sure Im reading right. Right now the LNB is on the Dish 500 dish with only one connection made to the LNB. I appreciate your patience, this is the first time Ive ever had to aim one myself!
The dual LNB will only see ONE satellite no matter which dish you are using. The Directv dish can only be aimed at one satellite at a time. The DISH 500 with "Y" adapter and a TWIN LNB can be aimed to see both the 110 and 119 satellites. Because your 722 is a dual tuner receiver it need TWO cables run to it from the dish.

The dual LNB will only see ONE satellite no matter which dish you are using. The Directv dish can only be aimed at one satellite at a time. The DISH 500 with "Y" adapter and a TWIN LNB can be aimed to see both the 110 and 119 satellites. Because your 722 is a dual tuner receiver it need TWO cables run to it from the dish.

10-4, Got it, now, the next question I have and I think I can get it running, which satellite to I need to shoot for to have the best group of channels, hopefully ESPN. Thanks.

10-4, Got it, now, the next question I have and I think I can get it running, which satellite to I need to shoot for to have the best group of channels, hopefully ESPN. Thanks.
Where do you have line of sight? You could look at either Western Arc or Eastern Arc satellites.

Hi, here are some pictures to help you see what is needed to receive two satellites from one dish. Boba, are two cables needed on the 722 if only one TV is going to be used at the cabin? I do not have a 722 but when I had a VIP 222 I found it would work with just one cable. The second receiver would not - unless I hooked up a splitter. Then both would work with just one cable. Anyhow for portable operations I like to keep things simple. I just use my Dish 500 with the single DPPro LNB as shown in the picture. I set it up on 72.7W and get all my HD but I only have the AT 120 HD package. Other packages may have some of the HD on 61.5. Just check thelist link at the top of the page to find out. Hope this helps, DC Edit - I do not get my locals when I use the single LNB, they are on 61.5.

Attachments

• Dish500DPPlusFront.jpg
    Dish500DPPlusFront.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Dish500Y2.jpg
    Dish500Y2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Dish500DPPlusBack.jpg
    Dish500DPPlusBack.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Dish500Y.jpg
    Dish500Y.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts