Need Help to set my FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Double check your latitude and the resulting elevation. Stillwater is about 36N, so the elevation would be about 54 degrees. I don't know how or why you are using 48. Your azimuth to 97w should be right at 180 true south, too.

Not familiar with that LNBF. Just double check it to make sure the skew (twist of it in the holder) is correct. Think it should be close to "0" but appears to be ~45° CCW

Ah yes. Take into account the ~6 degrees declination and presto! 48 elevation. :eek:

Lak7,

Gfb is almost perfectly due south of my location which is 96.4°W (and Stillwater is at 97.0°W longitude) so the polarization of the LNBF should be zero for Galaxy 19 @ 97.0°W from his site.
What angle or position on the clock does the cable port come out of this LNBF's housing when the LNBF is set to zero degrees of rotation?

RADAR

What angle or position on the clock does the cable port come out of this LNBF's housing when the LNBF is set to zero degrees of rotation?
At "zero" skew, the connections are near 7 / 8 o'clock, just like his Pics.
There are marking on LNB too

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/275712-Pointing-Ku-dish-using-Sun-not-compass To find proper azimuth, follow this thread. Other thing, it seems that the elevation of this dish is set at 47 degree, and it should be at 48 - assuming the the pole is exactly vertical (but it could be off... ) This dish is a rare example of a dish where elevation is shown by a washer with special pointer, not by the bracket edge. The skew is suspicious - probably the cable should go straight down, like 6 o'clock. And the receiver should be programmed to one of 97 transponders

I agree with you Lak. I recall seeing similarly constructed LNBFs first hand and it did throw my judgement off at first when looking at them installed. Your mind wants to tell you that everything should have some symmetry and therefore the cable port should come directly out the bottom when the LNBF it is set upright in the clamp, but that is not how they constructed them. They are kinda twisted.

I am sure that Gfb will double check for the "UP" and centering markings on the housing or throat of his LNBF and set the rotation accordingly, so that the LNBF has zero degrees of polarity rotation or skew.
It definitely should be zero for Galaxy 19 when viewed from Stillwater, OK.

RADAR

For the OP.... does your receiver have a "blind scan" feature? It would be interesting to see if you're getting any signal at all right now from any satellite... :)

For the OP.... does your receiver have a "blind scan" feature? It would be interesting to see if you're getting any signal at all right now from any satellite... :)

No. These receivers do not have blind scan. The transponder frequencies must be manually entered.

Does this mean that I will not be able to get a signal with my receiver? In my understanding (Please forgive me for my ignorance), there are three parts in this system: First, setting the dish to get the correct signal for the Satellite I wish to have, and second, the signal from the dish to the receiver, and third the signal between the receiver and the TV. So far, the connection between the receiver and my TV seems to be OK. I am able to connect the receiver to the TV, and enter the information for the receiver installation, but I am not getting the signal from the parts one and two. That is the reason you guys are trying to coach me.
According to answers I got from you guys, some have suggested that my receiver is old, and I should return it to my vendor. I bought it since October and I do not know if the vendor will be able to refund me. I understand that there should be newly receiver out there in the market. What is the best one? If I got a new one is the problem of Azimuth and Elevation will be solve?

Don't worry about buying a new receiver. Your current receiver is capable of receiving the channels on that frequency.

Please also confirm the polarity setting in the receiver menu. Could you take a photo of the set-up menu screen?

Do you have a small TV near the dish to view the Signal Quality meter while adjusting the dish?

Your receiver is very old - sorry - But it will be able to tune the Transponder you listed.

If I got a new one is the problem of Azimuth and Elevation will be solve?
Those parts are all you - mechanical alignment - direction Dish is pointing, and how high the dish is pointing.

Take a look at the LNB, at the holder. Look for an "arrow", "0" or "UP" marking - that should be at the top of the holder.

Aligning your first Dish is not the easiest thing to do - lots to learn.
None of the equipment is Plug N Play.

Does the receiver show a "Signal" reading AND nothing "Quality"?

Thank you guys for your help. Below is the picture of the set up. I am still getting "0" on Quality.
DSC03025.JPG

The only setting to change before scanning (after you have found the satellite signal) is to turn the NIT=OFF.

Just follow our suggestions for aiming the dish with a TV and signal meter screen visible from the dish. Remember to SLOWLY paint the sky around the suggested aiming coordinates. The aiming coordinates are only a starting point. The actual aiming will depend on if the mast is plumb / level and the mechanical variations of dish assembly.

It can get frustrating, but only if you let it. (been there)
Another thing, which may help, is setting the frequency plus or minus of the published spec*. TheList has that transponder two Mhz less than your programmed freq. I.E: 11787 V 28125 Although with that high an SR it shouldn't, but one never knows.
* up to 2 or 3 Mhz

Thanks for the photos! I would say the first important step is to get that dish mounted -somehow- so that it is stable and plumb. If you can't do a pole in the yard, try mounting it to a pallet. When I first got into the hobby, I tried swinging the dish this way and that by propping it up against things, but never got a signal. The problem is, you have several variables that are involved in a good satellite signal. The compass direction (azimuth), the angle that your dish is looking (elevation), and even the amount of twist on an lnb (skew). A good stable mount will allow you to make the necessary small movements to get a signal (it can take several seconds for the signal to register). Even if your mount is temporary -- mount it :)

I agree. It really helped me to be able to stand directly behind the dish so I could get a rough idea of where the dish was pointed. Also if it is on the house make sure it is low enough to be reached from the ground. You will become worn out in no time trying this from a ladder. - Wes

From the photo of your set up screen your LNB and receiver are working fine and the settings are correct. Set your elevation (up and down) and then slowly turn your dish from due south, first east and back to due south, and then from due south to west a little bit then back again, pausing several seconds at each little nudge. If you still don't get a signal then the elevation is wrong ( too high, too low ). Adjust the the elevation and sweep in azimuth again. It takes practice and you have to hang in there with it when you try it for the first time. The first time I tried it it was hard, But it's a lot easier now. You'll get it.

Good Luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)