Need Help w/HD On the Road

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hoosierhog88

Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Lexington, KY
Hey folks... a newbie here... just surfed in.

I live in Lexington, Ky and have Direct TV with a Slimline dish and H23 receivers. I get a bunch of HD programming at home.

Recently I activated another receiver to take with us on the road in my RV to my folks property up in Indiana. I purchased an oval (18x20) 3 LNB w/mulitswitch dish from a guy on eBay. I got the coordinates from the setup on the receiver and set up the dish accordingly, but having problems getting all the HD channels (only getting about 6 I think.) And when I'm up in Indiana, I can only display the LEX local channels, but not receive them. I'd actually like to pick up INDY locals if possible.

Can I do this with this configuration? OR do I need to further tweak the coordinates? I'm not having much luck getting signals on the 110 sat.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

LEX and INDY stations are on spot beams aimed at each city. When in Indiana, you're more than likely out of the spot beam for Lexington.
If you're within the spot beam for Indianapolis, you would have to call Directv to change your receivers to the INDY stations.
They may or may not be willing to do this, depending on how often you want it done.

Thanks Jimisham. I'm not too worried about the local channels. I just hate it that I blew $50 bucks on a dish that I thought would work to get all of the HD channels that I have at home. I guess I'll surf around and try to find a Slimline model, based on Yorktown's suggestion.

I see plenty of them on eBay. Is there a particular model I should try to find? Will a Slimline 3 lnb do the trick, or should I go with a 5 lnb model?

Again, thanks for any suggestions.

There is the AU9-SL3 3 LNB dish which picks up the 99, 101 and 103 satellites and will have all the HD channels as well as most of the SD channels.
The 5 LNB dish will add the 110 and 119 satellites. I think there's only 3 channels on 110 and locals are on 119.
If you can do without the locals, the 3 LNB would be the way to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.