Need Help with Aspect Ratio

bucks17

Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
I am having trouble with the aspect ratio for my HDTV. I have a Toshiba HFX83 CRT and am running the voom box via DVI. What is happening is that I have noticed that the sides of the picture on the HD channels has been cut off. On the World Sport Soccer games, I only catch half of the team's names and the score. On HDNews the bottom bar that reads live cuts off the L. I know they are there becasue when i go to the voom guide screen, i can see what is being cut. I flipped through all of the input modes using "the red button" and it seems that 480p does not cut off so much, but then I am losing the HD Broadcast.

I had a similar problem in the bedroom where I had it set to 480i (it is a sd set) and I had to switch it to 480p in order for it to properly letterbox the picture.

Both sets are set for pillar box and letterbox in the picture format setting system screen.

Is this a problem with my TV or a problem with my Box?

First of all, cycle through all zoom/stretch modes of your TV set. See if that makes a difference.

Most TV sets have around 5% overscan: they crop about 5% of the image on each side. Broadcasters usually allow for this: for example, the entire text on WorldSport and HDN should be visible. However, some TV sets have 7% overscan or even more. And this can be even resolution-specific. It is usually possible to adjust the overscan value, but you need to find out how to get to the Service Menu of your TV set. It can be tricky. Search the www.AVSForum.com for your TV set's model number. See if someone there knows how to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts