Help! with aspect ratio...

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
Ok, I've searched for everything, read everything, and tried everything and no matter what combination of settings I try on the STB all HD channels are stretched to fill the screen. I have a Toshiba TN50x81 Cinima Series 4:3 ratio rear proj. TV using component 1 input. I have the Svideo from the Voom going to a JVC DVD recorder and from there output goes to component 2 and its letterboxed like it should be. But from the Voom to the TV I can have it on an HD channel, go to the setting menu and change the stretch, crop, letterbox or any other combo and it has no affect and the resolution setting makes no difference. Whether its 1080 in settings and native on the button, nothing makes any difference. Does anyone know whats going on with this. Is this TV not compatible with Voom. Its really starting to bother me every time I watch a HD channel. The picture looks great but the stretched has to go.

Unfortunately VOOM STB does not support aspect ratio adjustment of HD signal. If your TV set cannot do this either, I am afraid there is not much you can do, short of upgrading to a 16x9 HDTV set... :(

Thanks for the bad news. Well an upgrade is in the works. Actually I got Voom for the upgrade which will be a Panny 43" LCD.

Is the VOOM STB has the option to set the output as 480i or 480p for none HD channels?

GPHAM ..... Set your STB to "Native Resolution" and VOOM will receive all HD channels in 720 or 1080 depending on what is being originated by the broadcast and SD channels will be received in 480. This way you can adjust letterbox for IFC and TCM or have the option for 4X3 or stretch. NOte: No other Satellite service offers this feature as far as I know. DirecTV does not for sure!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)