Need help with Combining Sat + OTA on same line.

richeydog

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
CA
I've read numerous thread about combining Dish and OTA on the same cable and I want to do the same if it's possible. Looking for some advice on how to connect everything with my setup.

Have an old antenna on the roof(from the 80's). Earlier today I ran a 25' spare rg6 cable from the antenna to a 32" widescreen hdtv on the back porch to see if it still works. Did a scan on the tv and ended up with 67 channels. Looks like the antenna will do for now.

- The distance from the antenna to the dish is about 50', give or take a few.
- Our dish system is a 722k. Two room setup....second room is backfed with a coaxial cable.
- We have an OTA Module installed.

From what I've read, it looks like I need 2 diplexers. One diplexer on the outside to combine the dish and antenna cables, and one diplexer on the inside to separate the signals before they reach the receiver.

Where do I put the diplexers? Are these compatible? See image below.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
  • 4133fVAie-L.jpg
    4133fVAie-L.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Since your setup is already utilizing diplexers for the TV2 backfeed, you can't really combine the OTA with the dish line. You could, but it might not be ideal. Would probably degrade the TV2 picture and/or OTA reception. You could try it though. Would need a couple of splitters.

Since your setup is already utilizing diplexers for the TV2 backfeed, you can't really combine the OTA with the dish line. You could, but it might not be ideal. Would probably degrade the TV2 picture and/or OTA reception. You could try it though. Would need a couple of splitters.
Doesn't sound promising. Although... I would like to try it and see if it works. Do I need splitters or diplexers?

According to my outside photo, which line do I diplex/split?

You can combine OTA with the TV2 output by using a two way splitter backwards.
Thanks Scherrman. I'm actually doing that right now. I have a homemade coat hanger antenna that's sitting on the floor in the house. The problem I'm having is that the signal is weak and I can barely receive 2 or 3 ota channels. I really want to hook up the outside antenna to the ota module for better signal strength and to receive more channels. This would also give me more recording options/less conflicts with timers.

I've read numerous thread about combining Dish and OTA on the same cable and I want to do the same if it's possible. Looking for some advice on how to connect everything with my setup.

Have an old antenna on the roof(from the 80's). Earlier today I ran a 25' spare rg6 cable from the antenna to a 32" widescreen hdtv on the back porch to see if it still works. Did a scan on the tv and ended up with 67 channels. Looks like the antenna will do for now.

- The distance from the antenna to the dish is about 50', give or take a few.
- Our dish system is a 722k. Two room setup....second room is backfed with a coaxial cable.
- We have an OTA Module installed.

From what I've read, it looks like I need 2 diplexers. One diplexer on the outside to combine the dish and antenna cables, and one diplexer on the inside to separate the signals before they reach the receiver.

Where do I put the diplexers? Are these compatible? See image below.
Why not use the module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not use the module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure i understand? :imconfused I do want to use the ota module. That would give me two more tuners. I would like to run the signal from the antenna(outside on the roof) along the same line as the dish wiring. :) I don't want to drill a new hole in the wall to run the antenna cable.

I have a combiner/amplifier that allows me to combine the ota signal with the home distribution signal from the 722. This combined signal is then fed to a kitchen tv via coax. The kitchen tv receives all of the ota digital channels + the analog satellite signal.

Doesn't sound promising. Although... I would like to try it and see if it works. Do I need splitters or diplexers?

According to my outside photo, which line do I diplex/split?
You should split the UHF/VHF peg of the diplexor.

You should split the UHF/VHF peg of the diplexor.
Okay, if I split the uhf/vhf peg of the diplexer with the antenna, will this send the signal into the ota module(722k), or directly into tv2? I'm trying to get the signal from the antenna into the 722k's ota module.

Last edited:
I think if you use a short piece of coax from the uhf/vhf port of the outside diplexor to the IN of a two way splitter, then connect the line from your antenna and the line that was originally connected to the uhf/vhf port of that diplexor.... Then do the same with the diplexor inside... Then from one port of the two way splitter you put inside behind the receiver run a line to the ota module, and then connect the original line that was on the uhf/vhf port on the inside diplexor to the other port of the two way splitter. You've already got a lot going on, so I'm not sure how great the reception will be using this method, but if you just try several different TV2 channels, you should find one that works.... Hope all that makes sense...

When I had the VIP DVR's I was able to combine the dpp(multisat) signals with ota and back feed all with 1 rg6. You just have to logiaclly use splitters/combiners with the dipexors and 1 seperator.

I think if you use a short piece of coax from the uhf/vhf port of the outside diplexor to the IN of a two way splitter, then connect the line from your antenna and the line that was originally connected to the uhf/vhf port of that diplexor.... Then do the same with the diplexor inside... Then from one port of the two way splitter you put inside behind the receiver run a line to the ota module, and then connect the original line that was on the uhf/vhf port on the inside diplexor to the other port of the two way splitter. You've already got a lot going on, so I'm not sure how great the reception will be using this method, but if you just try several different TV2 channels, you should find one that works.... Hope all that makes sense...
Well I'm happy to say that it worked. I followed your instructions and now have the rooftop antenna hooked up to the ota module. :bounce

I have a question for ya'll. I want to view live ota on TV2. When I scanned tv2 I was only able to get 10 channels. (Scanning TV1 for antenna signals with the ota module yielded 65 channels). Is there something I'm doing wrong with my wiring? Do I need to add another splitter somewhere to get more channels on tv2?

Here is a picture below. The white cable is carrying dish and ota. It goes into the diplexer...one side goes to sat 1 and 2, the other to a splitter. From the splitter, one end goes to the home distribution/remote antenna, and the other goes to the ota module.

Attachments

• CAM00036.jpg
    CAM00036.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I don't think you should have to scan for them at TV2. Although I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've messed with this setup... But once you scan and save the ota channels, aren't they just available to both tuners through the guide?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think you should have to scan for them at TV2. Although I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've messed with this setup... But once you scan and save the ota channels, aren't they just available to both tuners through the guide?

Yes, when I scan TV1(ota module), BOTH tuners can access the ota signal through the guide. TV1 is in HD --- but TV2 is still in SD. The only way for TV2 to get a live HD feed is by using it's tuner to scan and store the channels in it's memory. I've performed a scan, but I'm only getting 10 channels. I thought I would be able to get the same amount as TV1.

Ahh yeah I see... Hmm... What channel is TV2 set to? Maybe if you set that to a higher channel number, one further away from the local channel numbers, you might get better results.. You might have to mess with it a while, trial and error. You can change the modulator by going to menu, 6,1,5

Ahh yeah I see... Hmm... What channel is TV2 set to? Maybe if you set that to a higher channel number, one further away from the local channel numbers, you might get better results.. You might have to mess with it a while, trial and error. You can change the modulator by going to menu, 6,1,5

TV2 is set to channel 21. I tried higher channels(up to 69) and rescanned, but the results are the same. I think what is happening is that the ota signal is too weak once it reaches TV2. I can sort of confirm this because when I ran a temporary direct line from the antenna to tv2, my tv tuner signal strength was anywhere between 45 and 65. Now, when I run it through the existing dish system the signal strength is 28 to 34. It's dropped off quite a bit.

Could I insert a preamp into the mix before the signal goes to TV2? Or are they only supposed to go near the antenna? I say that because TV1 signal is pretty strong. With the ota module I'm getting a strength of 100(or close to that) on a few channels and I don't think I need to amplify them further. I'm only 24 to 28 miles from most of the stations.

TV2 is set to channel 21. I tried higher channels(up to 69) and rescanned, but the results are the same. I think what is happening is that the ota signal is too weak once it reaches TV2. I can sort of confirm this because when I ran a temporary direct line from the antenna to tv2, my tv tuner signal strength was anywhere between 45 and 65. Now, when I run it through the existing dish system the signal strength is 28 to 34. It's dropped off quite a bit.

Could I insert a preamp into the mix before the signal goes to TV2? Or are they only supposed to go near the antenna? I say that because TV1 signal is pretty strong. With the ota module I'm getting a strength of 100(or close to that) on a few channels and I don't think I need to amplify them further. I'm only 24 to 28 miles from most of the stations.
It's definitely worth a shot

Thanks for all the help. What type of amp do I need and where do I hook it up? Near the antenna or behind the 722k?

Can anyone recommend of a low cost solution with a good return policy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts