Need help with DirecTV question vs. Verizon FIOS. I have 10 Televisions! Moving into new house soon

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottw57

Original poster
May 2, 2013
Bradenton, FL 34202
Hi,
We just moved to Lakewood Ranch, Florida (34202) last year (this is in Sarasota/Bradenton, FL. area). We moved from Atlanta, GA back in April of 2012, where I was a DirecTV subscriber since 1998. We are building a home here, and it will be finished in the next 30-60 days. It’s been a long process, due to labor shortage and recent housing boom here. So we have been living in an apartment for over a year now (4 people and 3 dogs!). The apartment only has Brighthouse cable/internet as an option. DirecTV tried to do a dish here in the apartment, but the apartment rules make it impossible to get one installed and my apartment faces east. So I have to live with this “I never heard of company - Brighthouse” for the time being. DirecTV was able to cancel my service with no cancellation fees (since they couldn’t install a dish), I returned my 10 receivers to them and so I’m in the clear to choose whoever I want. I miss DirecTV; however I’m concerned about the weather here and torrential rain storms we get here in South Florida. I called DirecTV last week and they claim they have a new dish which is better and vast improved to handle the storms and less outage (92% reliability not counting power outages). For my new house, I’ve narrowed it down to 3 options: DirecTV, Verizon FIOS, & Brighthouse(last option). A few of my issues is startup cost and cable box monthly fees (I was paying around $54 for 9 receivers (u get 1 free) with DirecTV. I currently will need 10 televisions in my new house. The new house is wired to all 10 locations with Cat5e, HDMI (dual in wall) and RG6 cabling. I’m trying to figure out the best way of going about getting all 10 television hooked up to DirecTV or FIOS. Brighthouse already told me they can do it for free. But they do charge $20 per HDDVR box! I’m getting 60 Mbps – 75 Mbps (via my test) with Brighthouse (new Lightning High Speed Internet) which has been their big plus and of course the bundle savings (internet/television only, I don’t use a landline phone anymore). I had the “whole house” DVR package with DirecTV before with 3 HD DVR’s to record from any room with the other 7 standard HD boxes. All of my TV’s are HDTV, but all are over 4 years old. I’m willing to purchase new TV’s (where necessary) with QAM tuner, CableCARD, etc. Only if this means I do not have to purchase or lease additional boxes/tuners to get HD in all the rooms. Three of my 10 television I could live without DVR or HD if I had too.
Here is my Requirements/Layout:
TV Locations: 10
1. Master Bedroom: Need HD DVR Access
2. Study: Need HD DVR Access
3. Bedroom 1: Need HD DVR Access
4. Bedroom 2: Need HD DVR Access
5. Bedroom 3: Need HD DVR Access
6. Bedroom 4: Need HD DVR Access
7. Great Room: Need HD DVR Access
8. Kitchen: Digital TV minimum requirement
9. Lanai: Digital TV minimum requirement
10. Master Bathroom: Digital TV minimum requirement

I know with Brighthouse I do not need a box to get digital TV only. But not sure if I can live with Brighthouse. DirecTV only offers 6 boxes and FIOS only 7 boxes to start service.
What would you guys recommend in my situation? I would like to get the best setup/deal possible. Thanks and sorry for the long post/details!

-Scott

Hi Scott, I live Wintertime in Zepherhills(33541) and I set up the latest Directv dish and it is pretty reliable but the install was a real pain but I feel worth the effort. I can't answer your other questions but I will say you are as big a tv fanatic as I am. Good luck, Paul

Do you really need DVR access in each of 5 bathrooms?

:welcome to Satelliteguys Scott!

You might consider a Genie setup. It would give you a 5 tuner dvr. You could put client boxes in the three areas you don't need dvr service in. The Genie allows you to connect up to 3 client boxes to the Genie dvr. The clients don't have tuners, but act like a remote connection to the Genie. The other rooms you could get regular dvrs. It would cost you a lot in start up costs. I think the Genie and 3 clients would be free, but you would have to pay an up front lease fee of up to $1200 for six more dvrs. You might get some break on that cost, but probably not much if any. Good luck and make sure to come back and let us know how it goes!

I don't live too far from you when I'm in Florida. Brighthouse was Time-Warner several years ago. In my opinion it does not have the PQ of Fios or the Satellite companies. With that many rooms I don't know if the cost would be different, but for a couple of rooms Direct TV should be less. I check every once in awhile to compare cost of Fios to Dish, not so much Direct TV, but Fios is often one of the more expensive options in the long run, but can't say anything bad about their picture. I have never used their receivers, my neighbor's Brighthouse receiver is horrid, but to be fair I have no idea if they have the latest model.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)